A Thought on Vicky B

A Thought on Vicky B

I’m overwhelmed by the brilliance of the old-is-the-new-new Gucci, having just attended the resort show in New York.  But before I fawn over all things Gucci and woo you with about 1,000 pictures (Alessandro Michele naysayers be gone… ), I have quite different sort of a resort show to talk about.  Drumroll please, it’s Vicky B!!!!  After Victoria Beckham herself HAD walked and talked us through her latest resort collection, presented for the first time in New York yesterday, I realised I hadn’t really uttered much about her on the blog.  I never went to those initial in-person walkthrough of collections, that Victoria did in the early days of her label, and attending her shows during NYFW has never really given me enough to say anything beyond a perfunctory handclap on what incredibly have become many editors’ highlights of NYFW.

IMG_2725

Seeing Beckham in the flesh talking about the clothes and where Victoria Beckham as a brand is today, did give me the impetus to say what I do find impressive about the VB machine.  Against the levied charge of not designing the clothes herself, Victoria talks us through the technical details of her clothes to the point where it’s hard not to be convinced that she’s heavily involved in every aspect of each garment, especially when it comes to final fit and feel.  Against the other levied charge that she discreetly (or indiscreetly) references other designers such as Phoebe Philo especially in recent collections, what’s interesting is that her label has successfully and cleverly sold palatable version of those tricksy catwalk-destined ideas to an audience that are buying her clothes not for the name but for how they make them feel.  Textural fringing, the “ugly” flat, oversized proportions and elongated silhouettes – things that might be amplified and made to look difficult to wear from the point of view of the mainstream audience, become wearable under Beckham’s steer.

Hearing Beckham pepper her speech with constant references to her “customer” and what her woman loves and likes, it’s easy to see Victoria Beckham as a label that outputs collections not as vanity projects but clothes that serve a real purpose.  Whether it’s functional zippers, lightness of materials or how a certain type of knit body shapes the midriff, it’s not about pandering to a creative director’s whim but instead the role of the traditional dressmaker or tailor comes to mind.  Beckham genuinely revels in insight from the people that wear her clothes and when she talks about her “customer”, you get the feeling she’s ACTUALLY spoken to them for real and takes their feedback into consideration.  You can’t say that about many luxury brands.  Haughty design visionary, she is not.  But understanding what women want, what they really, really want?  Beckham has it down to a pat.

IMG_2678

IMG_2706

IMG_2708

IMG_2717

IMG_2711

IMG_2716

IMG_2718

IMG_2703These fringed flats were inspired by Dougal from the Magic Roundabout. Alex Fury proceeded to christen them as ’shoegal’. Did love that Victoria proceeded to “brush” the suede tassels on the shoegals to ensure they’re more photogenic.

11 comments

1. Charu Fashions

2015-06-05 at 5:49 AM

The outfits all gorgeous! Amazing to watch all the photos!

2. Je ne sais what?

2015-06-05 at 6:35 AM

ughhhhh all of the pieces are gems. Drooling over the silhouettes and textures….so wearable too! Thank you for the beautiful pictures and post!

3. Natalia | Fashioned by Love

2015-06-05 at 12:32 PM

Hm, it’s rather odd that, with your understanding of fashion, you are promoting a woman who is not only copying numerous hits from Celine to Calvin Klein with a nod to Lanvin and Rochas as a few others, but, as you say it yourself, is not actually a designer. One can teach a monkey to talk about technicalities of a garment, but it certainly takes a very special person to actually create something original, and Beckham isn’t one of those.

• sgh

2015-06-07 at 10:17 AM

I kind of agree with this, I think if it was a high street chain appropriating other designers pieces to a wearable, sellable product, there would probably be no mention of this as a positive thing.
      Yes, she is a passionate business woman with enough money to invest and she seems to have her USP defined, but I do not find that very admirable, not if we are looking at her as a designer.

4. Lakshmi

2015-06-06 at 3:09 PM

I can’t pick a favourite! They all look so good x

5. Ayesha Rajpoot

2015-06-07 at 8:39 PM

Gorgeous website, such a nice article because we like this, Stylish Outfits are very beautiful, thanks for share this post. http://fancystyless.com/

6. Nadya from dushonok.com

2015-06-07 at 10:59 PM

Susie, that’s an interesting article! Victoria is definitely a smart woman and knows what she wants and how to get there. I admire her business skills.
    I wonder who buys her clothes… not sure I saw any celebrity wearing it… though I am sure I may simply missed it 🙂

Love the shoes on the last picture.

Thanks for sharing 🙂

Why Buy? DIY!

7. Nadya from dushonok.com

2015-06-07 at 11:00 PM

Love the shoes on the last picture.

Thanks for sharing 🙂

Why Buy? DIY!
    dushonok.com/

8. coffeeslag

2015-06-08 at 2:39 PM

I can’t with those flats! I just can’t haha. They look like the slippers my boyfriends mom wears around the house, that serves the dual purpose of comfort and cleaning.

coffeeslag

Audrey Mornings

9. Hailey~FurnishMyWay

2015-06-09 at 5:49 PM

One look I undoubtedly love is the dress that comes in both red and white. I think it’s gorgeous! I admire her hands-on approach to her brand as well.