Summer of Stolmen

Summer of Stolmen

>> Don't say that I neglect the wise words you throw back at me frequently in those all-important comment boxes.  Many moons ago, a commentor once said that the Stolmen wardrobe system from Ikea is the answer to everything.  I am heeding her words with such gusto that this weekend, I'm going to map out a wardrobing system – on SQUARED paper, with ARROWS and everything.  After the outting of the embarrassing state of my wardrobe, I can no longer deny the problem at hand.  Actually, how can I harp on about meticulous pleats, beautiful draping and sumptuous fabrics (apologies for the onslaught of florid language of late…) when I harbour creases in silk, cashmere jumpers folded into mini footballs and prom dresses folded and tied up into parcels.  Random dudes at Ikea Park Royal, your worse nightmare is going to be parking up in a hired van over the next few weeks.  It's the woman who will be firing a thousand questions about the Stolmen system whilst simultaneously eating takeaway Swedish meatballs… with both sauces…

G_28247_obj

20 comments

1. Isabelle

2010-06-24 at 4:16 PM

Sweet! I am really obsessed with storage and constantly bore the boyf with queries like “if I move this hanger then I can put another shelf in, right?” My triple wardrobe is my pride and joy, but I still have piles of clothes all over the place…
    Let me know if you find the perfect solution for shoes.

2. Dana

2010-06-24 at 4:36 PM

I looove STOLMEN. It changed my life 🙂 It took more than 4 hours to design my dressing, but the best 4 hours ever 🙂
    Here is the result -> http://www.shopaholic.ro/2009/05/sneak-peek-raiul-pe-pamantaaa.html

3. gih

2010-06-24 at 4:56 PM

So neat and clean divider. I love it.

4. Hannah

2010-06-24 at 5:05 PM

This is amazing! I need one.

5. threesmallapples

2010-06-24 at 5:25 PM

OMG, it’s all about the two sauces!!!
    And I also covet order in my wardrobe but I think it might be a distant dream for me… xx

6. Martini Mummy

2010-06-24 at 5:47 PM

Now, I’m all about the organising, but those pictures from Ikea always make me smile. Seriously, there are about four items of clothes on those shelves. I’d like to see it when I’ve put all my stuff on there – bet it wouldn’t look quite so good then…
    Martini Mummy

7. Elena Vasilieva

2010-06-24 at 6:04 PM

Nowadays IKEA is one answer to many questions =) So, go girl, make it tidy.

8. Nora

2010-06-24 at 6:33 PM

I’ve got a stolmen system. and it’s true, it is THE best ikea answer. (I actually hate closets with doors)

9. rollergirl

2010-06-24 at 6:34 PM

Ooh storage *swoons*

10. AngieMontreal

2010-06-24 at 7:30 PM

I think it may have been me who mentioned the system, or perhaps I’m one of many actually! I have it in my dressing room (which used to be my studio…yes, I know I’m spoiled now!) lining every wall, as well as jutting out from the wall into the room (for the shoes) with a dressing table/mirror backed up against it. Let me know if you have any questions…my advice: think vertically and hang as much on bars as possible! Also, go for regular shelves for shoes instead of those angled shelves. The angled shelves are great if you only have a few well appointed shoes…but lets be realistic…you have more than a few shoes!

11. Tiffany

2010-06-24 at 7:52 PM

I need this for my closet!
    XOXO,

12. Anne

2010-06-25 at 12:00 AM

Great Post Susie and I can really feel for you. My wardrobe also need sorting out and I actually have been looking at Stolmen too. Let us know, ho you get on!
    Anne x

13. Z Fashion Blog

2010-06-25 at 12:35 PM

I’d also love to have “Stolmen” to sort out my mess, but unfortunately I can’t 🙁
    The ceiling in my house are very high (350cm) and the Stolmen system has a maximum hight of 320cm..

14. susie_bubble

2010-06-25 at 1:56 PM

Z Fashion Blog: I have the same problem but you can fix the poles to the walls too so that the poles don’t quite reach the ceilings…

15. kim

2010-06-25 at 4:59 PM

I’ve got the PAX one from Ikea (not sure if they sell it in UK) and I had a blast designing that one. I didn’t take any doors so it was very cheap too. Stolmen looks pretty but with the one pole don’t your clothes spill out the sides of the shelves if you put in too much?
    I always load up on 50ct hotdogs at Ikea… don’t want to know what they’re made of, I can’t resist them.

16. tidingebb

2010-06-25 at 6:28 PM

it doesnt stand a lot of weight though

17. susie_bubble

2010-06-25 at 7:14 PM

I don’t like having doors or heavy wardrobes because given that i may want to move, i think dismantling the Stolman will be easier than moving the Pax….
    Tidingebb: Hopefully I’m going to be spreading my wardrobe as well as culling it so that it shouldn’t have to bear too much weight on it…

18. Gerlinde

2010-06-25 at 9:05 PM

I can also recommend the Expedit. Above all, it is not too deep, avoiding the tshirt-stacks-behind-tshirt-stacks effect. different drawer or box elements can be purchased too keep the more tiny, fluffy belongings inside.

19. Z FASHION BLOG

2010-06-27 at 5:44 AM

THanks Susie for the heads up about fixing the poles to the wall instead of the ceiling.
    I didn’t know about this!!
    Next weekend I should pay Milaan’s Ikea a visit 😉

20. Supra Shoes

2011-03-15 at 9:23 AM

I know your weaknesses and enter them freely. I know your burdens and carry them gladly. I cannot love you more than I already do and I will never love you less. My desire is for you and I greatly delight in you.