Weaving In and Out

Weaving In and Out

Papbelt2
I woke up one night having dreamt about a particular class in primary school where we were weaving strips of paper to make a basket.  I actually dreamt the sequence where my friend at school at the time Sarah Hill started calling me Susie Bubble…except we were also weaving paper.  It's all a bit fuzzy in the head and I think those two incidents were separate from each other in real life but in my dream, it all came together in some sort of blurred relapse.  Anyway… I wanted to indulge in paper weaving just as something to do without any particular aim/motive.  Kind of like playing around with PVA glue just because I like the way it dries on things and you can peel it off (that sounds less odd than it looks on paper).  I might be the only one.

Still, in Paperchase the palette of Luella S/S 09 took hold of me and when I get it back and started to weave an undefined rectangle just for the heck of it, I thought I might as well make use of my pointless redux exercise and wrapped it around the waist as a belt along with similarly clashing shades…

Just can't get the colours out of my head…
Papbelt1

Papbelt3

(Ruffled tiered pink dress, The Lazy Ones orange and pink dress underneath, Gap purple silk vest on top, lavender sheer tights, Miu Miu x Pop shoes)

60 comments

1. Dina

2009-01-14 at 6:00 PM

Great idea, Luella SS 09 just…rocked! And I love your shoes.
    Is one of your colleagues at Dazed doing an assignment on teenage bedrooms? Because I saw the listing on Star Now and wondered how to apply?

2. THE SHOE GIRL

2009-01-14 at 6:02 PM

OMG! That is truly awesome!! You did that? Very cool.
    I think it would be really neat if you did the same with a semi-transparent vinyl in lots of candy colors. πŸ˜€ Then it might last longer as well.
    You’ve got the wheels in my head turning!
    XOXO

3. Deborah

2009-01-14 at 6:06 PM

I love that outfit! The colors! What is that belt made out of? Did you make it?

4. Amy May

2009-01-14 at 6:07 PM

Love the colour combination. Gorgeous!

5. drsalka

2009-01-14 at 6:07 PM

wow this is a grat idea!
    i’m wondering how many hours (minutes?) of sleep daily do you get? :)))

6. susie_bubble

2009-01-14 at 6:19 PM

Dina: That ad is fake! Don’t respond to her…she’s using the Dazed name under false pretense!
    The Shoe Girl: Yeah, the idea was just to get my weaving fixation out of the way with paper but yeah, could definitely be done with vinyl…would just be pricier….
    Deborah: It’s just paper and yeah I made it…
    Drsalka: I don’t sleep that much/well… hence why I’m always ill…

7. Alecca

2009-01-14 at 6:22 PM

this gives a whole new meaning to nursery school crafts;) hey, it’s really cool, thin belt on top takes it to another dimention. thx for sharing ur dream, got us all inspired.

8. Nupur

2009-01-14 at 6:27 PM

Hi! I am a regular follower of your blog. This is the first time I am commenting.
    Where did you get those beautiful shoes from? They are *awesome*. I would LOVE to get something similar for myself. Please do let me know what brand they are. Can’t get those shoes out of my head πŸ™‚

9. calamityjem

2009-01-14 at 6:50 PM

Another great DIY effort! The colours are wonderful & a real pick me up in these times of wintery dark days. Obi belts are hotly tipped as a must have item for S/S 2009 so making this in vinyl or even just a stiff cotton would no doubt earn the creator points for both style & effort. Thanks for being a great inspiration & keep up the awesomely good work!

10. Stella

2009-01-14 at 6:52 PM

Oooh, lovely…I’m thinking how it would look with fabric, or leather…

11. kirstymmckie@yahoo.co.uk

2009-01-14 at 7:03 PM

ooh do it with ribbons! that’d look amazing. would need to weave it over something sturdier of course.
    ps also love peeling off pva glue. especially when you cover your hands in it and pretend you’re peeling off your skin.

12. SOS!

2009-01-14 at 7:04 PM

ooh ms bubbles you’re really getting into the DIY thing! I’m still sitting here with projects in my head, but no execution..
    xx-LJ from SOS!

13. diane

2009-01-14 at 7:30 PM

I love how you made this colorful belt!
    that’s funny i remembered doing those kind of thing (i don’t know the name: “bricolage” in french…) in primary school too. i had also a game like that with plastic strips… πŸ™‚

14. katty

2009-01-14 at 7:32 PM

looks so good:)<3

15. ediot

2009-01-14 at 7:36 PM

THIS is SO fierCe- i love it! i was just thinking about making a big with this same technique..love your entire look here.
    have a great daY

16. Anonymous

2009-01-14 at 8:01 PM

hello- love the look
    quick quest.- i remember coming across one of the many blogs of yours regarding the fashion designer team SANS…i can’t seem to find them again and i was wondering if you knew where they were located? i can’t find if they are from the US (which is doubt) or europe…i remember hearing something about them being german but not too sure. help?? πŸ™‚

17. WendyB

2009-01-14 at 8:02 PM

Delicious colors. But if I had to steal any one thing off you, I’d definitely go for the shoes.

18. Snapshot Fashion

2009-01-14 at 8:51 PM

this looks fabulous!

19. Brigadeiro

2009-01-14 at 8:51 PM

LOVE IT! I love weaving, and the colours are just gorgeous! I’ve been meaning to make something similar with wide ribbons, but paper? A touch of genius! πŸ™‚

20. Sal

2009-01-14 at 8:53 PM

Love the look and those vibrant, punchy colors … but best not sneeze while wearing that belt!

21. floraposte

2009-01-14 at 9:08 PM

That is so cute! Would be fantastic with ribbons either.
    That is a great summery looking outfit such a boost from all the grey and grim winter drear we are having at the moment.

22. ay

2009-01-14 at 9:14 PM

lovely weave!!
    how long did it take to do!!!
    the colors are fantastic
    x

23. SN

2009-01-14 at 9:22 PM

it almost reminds me of the louis vuitton s/s2009 skirts..with the puff pockets?

24. jointjumble

2009-01-14 at 9:24 PM

Wow you are so creative!

25. KD

2009-01-14 at 9:41 PM

I do not know how to express the pure amazingness of this outfit in words.

26. Annie

2009-01-14 at 10:18 PM

It’s so pretty! The structure of the belt actually reminds me of something I’d see worn with a kimono.(I don’t know what they’re called, but they pretty much are a wide balt with a rope tied in the middle of it.) This should definately be done with a mix of floral silk ribbons and pastels.

27. tavi

2009-01-14 at 10:20 PM

Oh my lanta, this is so epic and I loathe your artistic abilities and ideas. I remember those arts & crafts projects too. Mine looked like Luella as well, though not in the sense of color, more in the sense of strips of paper flying everywhere:
    Excellent DIY, Susie!

28. Maya

2009-01-14 at 10:25 PM

Love your shoes. and you so creative!

29. chelsea

2009-01-14 at 10:41 PM

I would love to see a skirt or some other garment made entirely from woven ribbon.

30. AusAnna

2009-01-14 at 10:53 PM

hhahaha only you Susie, so cute, looks great. i hope you wore it again!

31. enc

2009-01-14 at 11:06 PM

You did a great job! How did it hold up?

32. She's Dressing Up

2009-01-14 at 11:07 PM

This is such a lovely idea.
    I remember doing lots of paper weaving in primary school too, ahhh!

33. Eyeliah

2009-01-15 at 12:12 AM

Such a cool look, I love all the bright girly colors here too.

34. Nadia

2009-01-15 at 2:22 AM

Very inspiring:) Hey it reminds me of these rice cake that i ate at Malaysia. The outer layer of the rice is being weaved. Oh another good news VERA WANGis looking for Bridal Stylist Yo! Check it out and spread the love
    X

35. Danielle Van Vliet

2009-01-15 at 3:25 AM

can you do a how-to????

36. floxie

2009-01-15 at 4:07 AM

wonderful color scheme!

37. Theresa

2009-01-15 at 5:30 AM

This is very pretty and creative! I used to do these weaving pieces in art classes last time too πŸ™‚

38. Liar

2009-01-15 at 6:35 AM

As far as I can remember this is my first comment here, but I have to say : I’m in fashion school and I just made a skirt with this exact belt. Now I can say : “Susie Bubble and I probably made this the same day, across the freakin sea!” I think it’ll had just a little somethin somethin to it, and make me a superstar, since you have a big fan base at my school!
    Le CloβˆšΓ†tre

39. Emily Wong

2009-01-15 at 8:06 AM

I love the weave & the outfit looks spring appropriate!
    Mind if I link you?

40. zana

2009-01-15 at 9:58 AM

I love how the colors create a pixel’d effect. Could be an interesting post-project, planning out and custom-coloring each piece of weave to end up with an image!!
    xo
    z

41. Elle

2009-01-15 at 11:13 AM

What a fab idea! Love the colours.

42. alicepleasance

2009-01-15 at 11:54 AM

Definitely a great idea πŸ™‚

43. Helen-LG

2009-01-15 at 12:09 PM

That looks fantastic!
    It’s interesting, in the long shot it looks like it’s material… Or maybe I just expect it to look more like paper..? I can’t really put it into words, I think I expected it to stand out and look more contrasting but it really works well.
    (BTW – I used to love any opportunity to play with the glue guns at school so I could peel the drying glue off of things and explore the look of it as it set. So it’s not just you! We also discovered that PVA can be used to make cheap zombie make up effects last year.. You probably didn’t need to know that though)

44. kim

2009-01-15 at 2:10 PM

I love that colour pattern and that’s just an awesome DIY! I’d be a bit scared to wear it when I was going to eat though, it probably would burst on me after lunch :D. But this weave might work for a clutch or something too.
    Did you add the text after you published the pictures? Odd that so many people ask questions that are stated in your post already.

45. Mathilde Donovan

2009-01-15 at 3:05 PM

love this! would look great in fabric.
    you wear brights so well, makes me feel as though i have a very dull wardrobe in comparison!
    M x

46. Frankie - Swell Vintage

2009-01-15 at 3:22 PM

Wow, is there anything you can’t do?!?! Lush colours x

47. Meredith

2009-01-15 at 3:53 PM

thanks, now I HAVE to go out and buy construction paper.

48. Fashion Tidbits

2009-01-15 at 4:45 PM

what a wonderful clash of colours. it’s rather harmonious really πŸ™‚

49. Linnéa

2009-01-15 at 5:04 PM

WOW that look amazing!! Great color <3 and a little kimono-stylish, Love it !

50. Iris

2009-01-15 at 6:08 PM

you have such an interesting style!
    a huge inspiration! love it

51. SwanDiamondRose

2009-01-15 at 9:20 PM

that looks great. the whole outift does. it’s funny at the craft store where i work part-time the GIANT centerpiece heart for the Valentine window is woven paper. crafty misappropriation. i love it. it’s in my Flickr stream if you want a peak, it’s still just in progress.
    p.s. and Happy New Year Miss Bubble!

52. Style Eyes

2009-01-15 at 9:57 PM

I love the colours.
    It’s funny, when I did a fashion design course, one of the things we did to get ourselves in creative mode was weaving paper. One of my favourite bits of the course.

53. super kawaii mama

2009-01-16 at 5:55 AM

I think this has to be one of my all time favorite Susie outfits. The colours, the shoes, the creativity. You can wear this when you make it to OZ for dinner with me. πŸ˜‰

54. Ambroisine

2009-01-16 at 10:37 AM

Wonderful colors ! You are so creative, wish i could make one too πŸ™ I Love it !

55. Adeline

2009-01-16 at 11:12 AM

hey! amazing creativity!!!!!

56. jennine

2009-01-16 at 5:21 PM

oh my god, i almost fell out ofmy chair…such a sweet belt… will it last is it made of the strong paper?

57. Jessica

2009-01-17 at 4:07 AM

I love the colors in this outfit and the layering of the skirt and dress! Beautiful!

58. maumau

2009-01-17 at 1:36 PM
  59. Anonymous

2009-01-19 at 12:47 PM

check out new mike and chris on net a porter!!!!!! woven leather yolk….!

60. Sunset

2009-01-21 at 5:29 AM

Strangely enough, I feel like this is a really toned-down version of a Susie outfit. Still fantastic though, of course. πŸ™‚
    And I feel you on the whole (fashion-related) idea taking hold of your thoughts…