I’ve generally always prescribed to the adage “All dressed up with nowhere to go”.  Post Nico though, that phrase has become a “fun” game of sorts.  I say fun of course, taken with a huge pinch of Epsom salt, given the limitations of what one can do with a two month old baby in tow.  But when you snatch one or two hours from the day, whilst tethered to the house for fear of carting a screaming baby around town, putting together elaborate outfits at home is sadly about as good as it gets.

All of this fanciful dress-up that’s been confined to the home happens to fall in line with both current season Prada’s marabou frou frou fancies and Miu Miu’s well-tred territory of retro geometrics.  Miuccia Prada has long held fascinations with bygone notions of femininity, reflecting, reproducing and subverting them in a myriad of ways.  For S/S 17, Prada was quite literally dusted down with the help of a 1950s Stepford homemaker’s feather duster.  For Miu Miu, Miuccia imagined frolicking around on a beach in simpler and more innocent times.  So it stands to reason that my homebound state should be accompanied by the most ornate of idealised haus frau attire.  From these collections, specifically a Prada peach feathered geometric wrap skirt and a Miu Miu jacket rendered in a print fit for a mid-century chaise lounge become integral puzzle pieces to this love-in with retro-tinted domesticity.  Abigail’s Party esque entertaining, ridiculously over trimmed peignoirs and negligees (those very words invite cynical chortles) and Western-lensed chinoiserie best expressed in Vladimir Tretchikoff’s kitschy The Green Lady painting all come to mind.  These are the sort of clothes that are made for lounging artfully at home amidst pieces of Danish furniture and strategically placed plants.

Alas, I’m only make-believing such antics in my N15 hovel.  You can’t see the brushed aside piles of Pampers 2, Water Wipes and milk-drenched muslin cloths.  Brow-raising feminists out there will be glad to know that this temporary fascination with  airbrushed visions of housewives of that mid-century era is fortunately only an aesthetic one.  I am slowly easing myself back into the land of the working, having snuck in a business Skype call and a casual writing deadline here and there.  Still, if I can’t get to ze fashions, ze fashions will come to me.  Even if they’re destined for breast milk stains and poop smears.

(Top: Vogue Mar 1969 photographed by David Bailey, Bottom: Vogue Jan 1968 photographed by Gianni Penati)

(Top: Vogue 1953 photographed by John Rawlings, Bottom L: Vogue Dec 1966 photographed by Henry Clarke, Bottom R: Twiggy in YSL tunic pyjamas)

Prada SS 17 skirt worn with vintage peach bed jacket from Fat Faced Cat, vintage quilted housecoat, Ayame tights and Prada SS17 flower sandals

Vogue Patterns 1967

Oriental Fashions 1960 photographed by Stan Wayman

Miu Miu SS17 geometric jacket worn with Jenny Fax smocked top and matching flares, Miu Miu slippers

Miu Miu SS17 geometric jacket worn with Miu Miu knit floral top, Jenny Fax smocked flares, Malone Souliers slippers and Prada plex ribbon bag

Raquel Welch in Geoffrey Beene’s ostrich-trimmed pyjamas Vogue Mar 1967

1. K says:

Those early outfits best accessorised with a copy of The Feminine Mystique I would say https://www.amazon.co.uk/Feminine-Mystique-Penguin-Modern-Classics/dp/0141192054

2. Jessica says:

The shot in the purple outfit among the cushions is super purty!

3. Absolutely love it!

4. Aria Di Bari says:

You’re the best at playing with colours! Love your unique style!

5. Tana says:

Love the colorful unique style!

6. Carmen says:

I love these outfits! They’re fabulous. Find somewhere to go, stat.

7. Akila says:

wow. In love with this, enjoyed the colorful aesthetic of the 60’s – I so want everything in this post to be in my closet. Hope you’ll have more time for more fun + fashion in the near future <3

istylelooks.com

8. Qucie says:

So so true! Thanks for making me realise it’s not just me…I’m enjoying trying on all of my “I’ll wear that post baby purchases” in between feeding my 7 week old baby girl – having not left a 1 mile radius of Highgate for weeks.

9. lauren says:

let’s face it! Art is unnecessary. Art feeds on art. Art for art’s sake. in other words “All dressed up with nowhere to go”. What i have found here is an art-woman-walking, a living piece of art that breaths, smiles, feels a bloody something. I have never considered fashion to be art (i still don’t) but your outfits here are very close to making me change my mind. Maybe in the other blogs there was one thing missing: the superfluity of art. What to do with a Raphael? Wear it? no, contemplate it. I sit here and contemplate your outfits.

10. Jandrew says:

The feathering of the nest ! Wearing your glamorous looks at home is both happy and sad . Thanks for the joy you bring me!
    Jandrew
    Dress The Part

11. cass says:

I love to see fashion thru your eyes! In terms of you and your baby getting out, I remember the day I discovered I could covertly breastfeed while carrying my daughter in an Ergo Baby carrier. I just draped a blanket over her head. It gave me a lot of freedom and a powerful soothing method while I was out. Often she would just go back to sleep and I could keep on shopping or walking or whatever I was in the mood for.

12. Sunirmal Das says:

Simply what so called “out of the box outfit”, thanks for posting this amazing outfit idea.

13. Alexandra says:

Loving the opulence, the flow, and the flounce. Also I intensely relate to the feeling of being all dressed up with absolutely nowhere to be. I think that perfectly describes my perpetual state of being.

:~) alexandra | http://glowygirl.blogspot.com

14. Tashiro says:

The Prada wrap skirt is unbelievable! The tights remind me of https://www.ozonesocks.com/collections/women-sheer

15. Alex says:

I live your faction, it’s real.

16. Will says:

Love this post. This retro trend is something we are seeing loads of in Brighton, UK at the moment and it’s looking really good.

Will – http://www.brightonstreetstyle.com

17. joyce says:

Excellent! I like your outfit wear. I love it.

18. Tajinder says:

Loved this post, very nostalgic of past decades with a twist of contemporary style. The Prada wrap skirt and bag definitely caught my eye, beautiful pieces. Always adore your style, you’re a great inspiration!

Tajinder | http://www.musicgeekonline.co.uk

19. joyce says:

Wonderful! Your outfit of purple is very nice.