Big Up HK

Big Up HK

I make a bit of a mockery of my Hong Kong identity card (in addition to being a British citizen, I also have right of abode in Hong Kong).  It sits in my drawer gathering dust in its plastic cover whilst I barely visit Hong Kong unless it’s for work purposes or I need to go back, to swipe my card through, let the authorities know that I’m still alive and thus carry on this charade of being a Hong Kong citizen.  It remains symbolically important to my parents that I have some sort of tenuous legal link to Hong Kong and so in my drawer it remains, with my barely 18 year old mug shot grimacing back at me.

I’ll be making a very short trip back to Hong Kong tomorrow before we then embark on a family trip to Tokyo together (I’ll regale you all later with the tantrums, the culture gaffes and the LOLz moments when six Lau family members get together).  My own ties to Hong Kong becomes more tenuous as the years go by and it’s exacerbated when people quiz me about what’s going on fashion wise.  In the past I’ve shrugged and my eyebrows furrowed – I don’t normally have a bleeding clue.

Thankfully, I can finally put some names out there and cheerlead my distant motherland as it were.  Strangely they both share similar aesthetics but in a teensy tiny island region where there are only a handful of fashion designers, there’s definitely strength in numbers.  First off is Cynthia Mak.  Her S/S 15 lookbook popped up in my inbox this morning in fact.  She graduated from Central Saint Martins in 2010 and spent years since working at the likes of Alexander McQueen, Roksanda Ilincic and Preen before returning to Hong Kong where the obvious fashion routes were at I.T. and Lane Crawford (where else…).  Moving out of the safe zone of fashion buying, she has bravely launched her own label and here’s an early early peek at her S/S 15 collection – all linear lines, negative/positive spaces and strong silhouettes, heavily inspired by Daniel Buren.  It’s a bold start and one that definitely intrigues.  Mak’s savvy as a former fashion buyer puts her in good stead but Hong Kong isn’t the most forgiving of cities when it comes to young designers.  Perhaps a tide of change is on its way.  PMQ, the newly opened a creative hub of studios and shops is certainly one positive step forward.  Having a clutch of designers, who have gained education and experience abroad and riskily starting up back in Hong Kong is another sign that the environment for fashion is becoming less hostile.

cynthiamakinsp1

2a

2b

3a

3b

5a

5b

6a

6b

cynthiamakinsp2

I then bring you Jourden.  Anais Mak’s label Jourden was set up in 2012 and has been quickly galvanising its reputation with both international and local tastemakers giving the label lots of love (HK blogger Tina Leung, style icon Hilary Tsui and blogger Denni Elias have worn the brand to name a few).  Balancing masculinity and femininity, Jourden’s starkly dramatic silhouettes are contrasted with a fascination with heavily textured surfaces.  “The Jourden girl is crusty, candid and determined but also introvert at times.  In our times to be proper means very rebellious,” says Mak in her press notes accompanying the AW 14-5 collection.  I don’t know how “crusty” these very exacting clothes are but they definitely crinkle and rustle with a tactile mix of quilted confetti, mohair fun fur and other shimmery synthetics.   Jourden will be going into Opening Ceremony in both New York and Los Angeles for the first time this season, returning to OC’s very first season back in 2002 when Humberto Leon and Carol Lim travelled to Hong Kong to bring wares back to their store.

The reality is there’s a world of difference between the fashion scene in Hong Kong back then and what it is now.  Both Cynthia Mak and Jourden represent something of a new guard in the city and hopefully, with my well preserved ID card, I’ll be able to go back more often to engage with this burgeoning scene as opposed to quietly observing it from afar.

jourdenaw14_1

jourdenaw14_17

jourdenaw14_18

jourdenaw14_19

19 comments

1. Olga

2014-08-21 at 4:33 PM

Hong Kong is so full of Western designer shops, so it is nice to see some local talent for a change!

I am loving Jourden’s clothes! I am guessing they will not be available at the Opening Ceremony in London…

2. ediot

Beautiful collection.
    xx

4. Dominique

2014-08-22 at 10:34 AM
  5. The Provoker

2014-08-22 at 1:32 PM

I just flew back from HK, the humid heat is really too much, but at least you’re quickly going to Tokyo so it should be better. Safe flight, and stay hydrated! Go to see more fellow HK CSM graduates doing well, and I laughed at the Lane Crawford IT what else? statement, I for all people should get that, it’s blantant haha. Both designers have great/wearable pieces, curious to see how they evolve their collections.

6. Mandy

2014-08-22 at 5:38 PM

Images looks super cool!!

7. leif

2014-08-23 at 3:23 AM

Like all these trendy outfits in the post.

8. One Piece

2014-08-23 at 6:05 AM

I don’t see any “designs” here…I can only see the replica of a “not trend at all” biker…(should it be baseball jacket this year?) All I can see is some basic contour using different material and texture. But all material and color are lousy and lumbering…the hair of the model is a disaster…I think the whole collection can’t really fit into the “fashion world”. You can’t tell whom these are for…may be some Asia country like Vietnam or the Philippines…I browsed through Liger’s blog, it’s a joke.

9. Andres Poiche

2014-08-24 at 7:51 PM
  10. plastic surgery zimbabwe

2014-08-26 at 6:42 PM

Face lift involves procedures to smooth out wrinkles and lines by
    surgically tightening the skin of the face. Place the back of both wrists at the bottom of the chin. Unlike other muscles in your body, your facial
    exercise are connected as skin and bone, forming a cushion for the skin to relax.

Here is my blog – plastic surgery zimbabwe

11. capillus272 garcinia

2014-09-18 at 7:37 AM

They want you to come to the salon on a regular basis
    so they tell you that you need to get a haircut every four to six
    weeks, but it’s just a way for them to make more money. Purchase shampoo or other
    hair care products that are meant specifically for people with thinning hair.
    However, pulling on a scab that was adherent to the skin usually dislodged the graft – often several days after pulling on a hair was safe.

12. memorial day quotes

2015-05-14 at 5:43 AM

good nice thanks

13. Cool whatsapp status

2015-10-31 at 9:42 AM

really very nice thanks

14. Telugu Mp3 Songs

2015-11-05 at 1:41 PM

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff
    previous to and you’re just too wonderful. I actually like what
    you’ve acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it.
    You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep
    it smart. I can not wait to read much more from you.

15. advance happy new year 2016

2015-11-23 at 9:12 AM

Thanks for providing best information its very helpful for me. I am regular regular visitor on your site.

16. Happy New Years 2016 Images

2015-12-27 at 11:24 AM

Awesome cloths images, thanks for sharing with us.

17. pari

2016-01-15 at 1:28 PM

nice clothes and perfect design….

18. sscresults-2016.com

2016-02-22 at 6:35 PM

Thanks for providing best information its very helpful for me.

19. jck