>> I>> I'm finally back in the colder climate of London after a blissful but productive week in Sydney for fashion week.  I've still got a ton to post about on all things Aussie but first up, something physical to put on my back.  Autumn winter collections of Australian designers get a little lost in the international scheme of things since there is only one Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Australia a year, showcasing what they would call their spring summer collections (but are our autumn winter collections in the Northern Hemisphere… I feel like a broken record explaining this).  Just as our summer is approaching though, their winter is beginning and so it is we get some notions of outerwear, knits and thicker clothes to deal with what I personally think is a pretty tame winter.  I came away with pieces from Romance was Born's A/W 13 collection that is currently in stores now but are just about perfect for the still mild spring we're getting in the UK (although I'm still mega pleased that our very own Harvey Nichols is selling Romance was Born's Marvel collection).  It's all season semantics of course when topsy turvy weather in the current climate is out of sync with store deliveries and collections in general are becoming less about catering to specific seasons.

The point is it's good to shed some Northern Hemisphere light on Australian designers' autumn collections and RWB's Lil Lord Fauntleroy collection is a good un'.  Luke Sales and Anna Plunkett worked with the Johnston Collection in Melbourne's Fairhall Museum to select pieces that would inspire the the prints.  Sales and Plunkett picked up on the twee and ornate Staffordshire figurines, the sort that my mum loves to collect and put into dusty glass cabinets.  The title of the collection also had a role to play.  Frances Hodgson Burnett's tale about the little Earl and his elegant velvet suit and fancy ruffled blouses with oversized collars were amplified in the context of this 18th century Fragonard-hued collection.  Tongue in cheek imagination is Romance was Born's speciality though and fortunately nothing ever veers too far into the dusty origins of these references.  Even Thomas Gainsborough's painting of "The Blue Boy" is reproduced by the Sydney artist Phil James with a wink and a nudge.  The bomber jacket, quilted skirt and matching fan-clutch look like a delicious trio together but can just as easily be taken apart for just a Lil' touch of Fauntleroy action.

IMG_8562Worn with Versace shirt, Emma Mulholland socks and Pollini x Meadham Kirchhoff shoes

Speaking of Staffordshire figurines, my sister Louisa has just styled this shoot for her site Lust and Found, featuring mum's repro porcelain figures, which we always thought were supremely hilarious, together with jewellery by Smith/Grey.  A brilliant match, no?

1. CarolinaBK says:

Super cool!!
    Great inspirations. I really like it, so color powerful!

2. Marissa says:

Love the colors! Those blues and pinks and greens :)
    And styled empeccably, as usual!

3. Can’t wait to see the rest of your Aussie discoveries. Hot countries always seem to have bold and colourful collections which I love, with the exception of London where maybe we use bright fashion to mentally escape the poor weather???

4. Amazing as always. Love love love the clutch! I really admire your courage in wearing such bold pieces. I mean, you really pull it off well :)

5. milex says:

Can you imagine how good I could look in your jacket?
    But you look just perfect.

6. M a r t a says:

Fantastic outfit! You look gorgeous. Lovely photos!

7. Marta Pozzan says:

Hard not to fall in love with these clothes

8. SACRAMENTO says:

I love, love, love your attire, and I feel so inspired that I can jump up and down with joy, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

9. Meital says:

love it! so inspiring!!
    Très Jolie blog
    Facebook page

10. George says:

As an Aussie it is great to get another perspective on our Fashion week and you are right when you say our winter’s are pretty tame. Hope you had a great time, looks like you picked up some great pieces and I look forward to hearing the rest of your posts!

11. fabliha says:

Romance was Born makes me so proud of Australian fashion. Plus the Little Lord Fautleroy collection is so super amazing. I love the combination of the sillouhettes and the prints in this outfit :) I always love the story/inspiration behind each of RWBs collections.

12. Fashion is general term for a style especially in clothing,footwear,accessories and makeup. in this blog given apparel is looking very nice. thank you sharing such nice stuff.

13. We love this combination of folk and fashion:*

14. Christina says:

The style inspiration for spring here is really great- so many great colors and patterns to work with!

15. Anna says:

Completely adore what you’re wearing, you look fantastic!

16. Klaudyna says: