>> The silent treatment today has been down to a number of things but for once, I've decided to shut up, shut down a little and zone out in a spot of generation-appropriate collaging.  Unfortunately I missed out on seeing Proenza Schouler's S/S 12 show hence why I can't fully blah on and on like I usually do but a trip to the showroom was a second best solution.  I've mainly been galvanised by my recent solid decision to take the plunge and do the cliched cross-America road trip in the summer of 2013.  There.  It's published on a blog.  I can't go back on my word now.  This trip WILL happen.  The dream tripping started me on a hunt for imagery that seemed to just click perfectly into Proenza Schouler's collection, which frankly was a grower that I haven't fully appreciated until now.

This series of American motel postcards were the perfect parallel imagery to draw with Proenza Schouler's subversion of mid-century to seventies naff interiors and architecture as well as their Hawaiian derived textures and prints.  Collectively, it's all enough to make me start mapping out a route on Google Maps, pinpointing existing motels that might hark back to these images (my romantic notion is that we MUST stay in motels for at least half of the trip) with the grimiest pools and patios.  A touch of Proenza Schouler's vivid eelskin, raffia or embroidered florals wouldn't go amiss on this trip.  One of the sturdy looking camera bags would be sickeningly picture perfect although I suspect that it's destined for a very high four figure sum, in comparison to what I hope the total of my ambitious trip will cost.

1. Terri says:

If you find yourself close to KC (the middle of middle America), I’d be glad to show you around.

2. I am in love with these not-so-classic old-school Americana postcards. Have fun on your roadtrip! Can’t wait to follow along on your blog. 🙂
    Step into Estherina’s World

3. Grace says:

Dude, if you are interested in this aesthetic you MUST go to Reno. All of this reminds me so much of that horrible and cheesy but strangely fun place. I went there for a BBQ sauce competition/festival. We ate at the Silver and Gold Diner. They are open 24 hours and between 3 am and 6 am, you feel like you are in a Stephen King novel. Creepyyyyy.

4. By the way, I recommend this book if you are interested:
    America Day by Day
    Simone de Beauvoire / Translated by Carol Cosman
    In which, Beaunoire kept a day journal of her own road trip experience of American in 1947. Might be interesting to compare notes… 😉

5. Haidee says:

Love the colours so amazing 🙂 and patterns gergous

6. Ida says:

Nice pictures!

7. Sta travel do an amazing trip across america called amtrak, its a really slow train ride with loads of stop offs along the way going from east coast to west coast.

8. Loz says:

Wel Jel, I want to do one sooooooo much!

9. Tara India says:

That road trip sounds amazing – jealous! And those photo collages are totally inspiring. xox

10. can’t wait to read about your road trip!

11. charlie says:

lovin the pics. and can’t wait to read about the road trip. Your blog is gr8 xox

12. Wow – your collage is fantastic! Loved reading this post. Here at Truly Madly Vintage, we also love Proenza Schouler!
    Looking forward to reading about your road trip,
    Love Megan @TMV