From stupid to sensible is the trajectory this weekend.  Supposedly Hawaiian florals and a grey bit of tulle was a bit too much for some people so I've done a 180 and turned to the mundane wardrobe beast that are jeans.  I say beast because since this blog has been going, I've dropped post titles such as 'Denim Challenge', 'Denim Difficulty' as well as countless anecdotes about grappling in the changing room with x labelled jeans, feeling embarrassed, red-faced and generally looking upon jeans as evil condoms for the legs.  Since those days, I've resolutely eliminated jeans from my wardrobe, until I found the Liberty printed MiH collaboration, a validexcuse to dip my toes back into the jean pool (Did I partake in Jeans for Genes day at school?  I substituted with a denim skirt…).

Recently I've gone further down the line to confront two specific jeans pet peeves.  This is my way of cartharsis.  The point isn't to purge the pet peeves entirely but to face up to them and go "Hey, isn't it great that you don't disgust me anymore?"   I might loathe something to the point where I begin to wonder that loathing and then slowly eat my words until that loathing no longer exists and all is resolved.  That's how I got converted back to eating tofu and cauliflower.

Therefore, my tofu and cauliflower equivalents in denim to overcome today?

1) Super low-rise, hipster/bumster jeans.  The sort where colourful G-string straps used to poke out at the sides where lady lumps would curve into a teensy tiny waist or erm… cause a bit of overhang.  I suppose my own straight-up-and-down hips and slight muffin top never really gave me cause to suddenly don a pair trousers that would point those traits out.  Their prevalence in the 90s/00s means that their re-appearance in fashion isn't quite due yet but McQ by Alexander McQueen can lord it over the bumster and revive it with correct timing.  McQueen of course famously showed his own 'bumster' trousers in 1996 in his 'Dante' collection, which trickled down into the G-string revealing entities of later years.  McQ have therefore taken this bit of bumster history to inject in their jeans

Mcqueen bumsters Mcqueen bumsters1

I'm generally a firm believer that my trousers should sit between my belly button and two inches below – anywhere below and I start to feel like I might not be able to eat properly (for fear of the post-meal bulge) or bend down.  These are a good six-seven inches down the belly button.  Pulling them up would surely cause some sort of internal damage.  The trick was to get over that normal trouser urge and instead revel in a shape that inherently makes you want to push your fingers through the beltloops to tug them down.  Revealing a bank of midriff isn't my normal cup of tea but then again neither was tying up shirts into knots and rolling skirts down to make them shorter and somehow these jeans have tapped into that distant memory lane.  As long as coloured G-strings and builder's bums don't make an appearance, McQ's take on the bumster could very well cause more flesh flashing.

IMG_2856

IMG_2863
(Worn with COS top, Beau Coops wedges)

2) My second denim shortcoming?  Bleached out washes and deliberately positioned holes and rips, again the sort that was rife in the 00s.  It hit a new pinnacle of head-scratching for me, when holes and bleach ran riot on a pair Balmain jeans that hit four-figure sums.  Why not just let the denim take its natural course and get holey and faded all by it self?

IMG_2892

Weirdly though from a choice of three washes for Diesel's new Jogg jeans, the most bleached out, ripped up wash appealed the most.  A mysterious sounding 'secret laboratory' at Diesel have developed a hybrid between jeans and jogging bottoms to create jeans with none of those bits that feel a bit 'crusty' at first.  Instead these are jeans for people that want to pull them up without the awkward 'Oh, crap, I can't pull the zip up…' feeling.  In effect, they're not jeans at all but jogging bottoms that look like denim.  Anyhow, it's all denim techno mumbo jumbo to me.  The main point is that bleached out bits and deliberate holes aren't making me want to shake the person who created those holes and bleached out bits by the shoulders going "Why why why?!"

IMG_2884

IMG_2889
(Worn with Krystof Strozyna jacket, vintage shirt, Stella McCartney heels)

On another denim note, I'd like to thank Glamour for starting this denim trail by winging over some denim pieces by Junya Watanabe – a fleece-lined biker jacket and a deconstructed fishtail skirt – that has roots in Watanabe's earlier denim dabblings (most notably S/S 02 and S/S 09) and letting me have a play with them for their August denim issue.  Again, deliberate distress marks are all over the joint on the skirt but the cut of it reveals Watanabe's mastery in experimental pattern, warming me to a skirt shape that I'm not usually enthusiastic about.

Watanabess02 Watanabess03

IMG_0972
(Worn with vintage shirt, vintage Loewe leather trousers, Prada brogues, Suelly bag, Moscot sunglasses)

IMG_1024
(Worn with Limedrop blazer, Goodhood x R. Newbold shirt, Mulberry bag, Nicholas Kirkwood shoes)

1. Natalie says:

‘Evil condoms for the legs’ just about sums up how I feel about jeans too. Whenever I wear them (rarely) everyone I know pretty much falls over in shock. (I have invested in a bright red pair recently, but they’re technically denim leggings, so not sure they count).
    Jeans are so uncomfortable! The Diesel ones have a nice wash though.

2. ms.hunz says:

Susi i made something for you, you may take a look for a while, and I’m so glad if you like it.. http://gultz.blogspot.com/2011/07/inside-bubble.html.. ^^
    love,
    hunz

3. TheUnique28 says:

Your outfits are amazing, love the different combinations of the jeans and the fact the washes contrast make it look better. Also that blue cropped sweater is fantastic 🙂

4. Betsy says:

All of your outfits are pure perfection!

5. Nia says:

Honestly not so sure about the fishtail skirt you have a nice figure and it doesnt do much for you in my opinion, but the other looks are cool.

6. Annina says:

that suello bag is diiivine. stunning ensembles, as always!

7. Kaite says:

I’ve been reading your blog for almost three years now, and it’s quite a shock to see you in jeans…but they look good! Keep up the creative experimentation, please. ^_^

8. Kazuko says:

am a huge denim fan and i loved ALL your outfits. (though the washed out pants may be my favourite.) very inspiring!

9. I love how you combine denim in different outfits. very creative.
    Aleksa

10. denim is an awesome brand no match and your outfits are really nice very good colors and matching!!!

11. Love the first denim look with the navy top, really good!! I’ve got one of those jogg-jeans from Diesel too, the darker one though. I love the fact that you wear it higher up, which makes it less baggy as mine does. On the other hand, with my growing belly (yes yes) it’s the best jeans to have in my wardrobe!!
    XO Charlotte

12. Hair shears says:

hy
    The article is fantastic.

13. Olive says:

I love your dark blue top on the first pict! it so cute!

14. Birgit says:

love all these blue details, definitely something different.
    i like.
    romanticsthe.blogspot.com

15. Rebecca says:

That skirt is foul! It’s like the worst of Next catalogue.

Weird how people think the skirt is the oddest thing! Junya Watanabe has been making skirts like these for quite some time now and I actually consider them a bit of a Junya classic but i guess that shape isn’t to everyone’s taste…

17. The style of jeans and garments is to good every want these style because it is nice and beautiful.

18. Nemo says:

I love the skirt. I think it is simple and also a little bit quirky and that makes it interesting. The whole look is very simple but it has a quirky edge? I like that, you don’t need to have an ‘on trend’ cut to look stylish!

19. Love your dark denim.. love it!

20. btoo says:

I love the skirt too

21. C’est tr√®s bien coordonn√©, j’adore ton style

22. emsydo says:

susie bubble in jeans! i thought the day would never come! hehehe

23. dell says:

I have a lot of the same issues with jeans, but I still manage to be absolutely in love with denim, and occasionally find ways to wear it. I have curated an exhition on the subject of Denim.
    http//:ruggedcottontwill.blogspot.com

24. catherine says:

I want to say that this article is amazing, great written and include almost all important infos. I would like to look extra posts like this.

25. Miche Purses says:

“turned to the mundane wardrobe beast that are jeans” – priceless!

26. What a great post, really interesting what you say about how to fit jeans!

27. What a great post, really interesting what you say about how to fit jeans!

28. What a great post, really interesting what you say about how to fit jeans!

29. Linda L says:

not really like jeans but your mix are stunning!