With a Chunky and Clumpy Step I Go…

With a Chunky and Clumpy Step I Go…

>> Alright, so 90s nostalgia is starting to feel like a bit of a broken Tumblr record when you've sifted through image after image of Courtney/Gwen/Shirley Manson and the repetition instigated by the reblogging action is also making me feel like people are being Tumblr-pressured into liking something because liking the 90s gives you cool cred.  That said, when all that nostalgia is put to use and out comes a useful Etsy store such as Philadelphia-based A Buck and a Broken Smoke who are intent on selling the chunkiest shoe oddities that you might overlook in a jumble sale but in the orderly context of an Etsy page, somehow you can see past the fact that you may or may not have owned shoes like these not that long ago (well I'm speaking as someone with a 90s childhood… but I suppose those that are younger will have fresher eyes) and look upon them as the nice bit of chunk that you could wear out and about and even… to an underground party if you really feel like reliving some smiley face days.

In all seriousness, the awkwardly chunky shape of these shoes are actually right up my street in terms of walkability and general juxtaposition against more contemporary clothes.  Or should I wish, I could also fall right back into the 90s trappings and pair floaty/pastel/delicate attire with chunky-clad-feet that go clumping about…

Bucksmoke

Their Tumblr page is actually more engrossing than what I've just described at the beginning of those post.  At the very least, they helpfully put sources of their images and I do like that a nice lot of vintage Versus pops up every now and again…

Bucksmoketumblr

24 comments

1. Duck

2011-04-28 at 12:14 PM

Now that everyone loves the 90s I feel like I’m copying everyone or caught up in some sort of big fashion conspiracy… But I’m really just longing for all the things I loved in my childhood 🙁 I loved Shirley Manson then I still do now! Very nice shoes, btw!
    xx
    Duck

2. Fashion Agony

2011-04-28 at 12:31 PM

Awesome shoes, love the ones with the heels!
    xoxo

3. Chrys

2011-04-28 at 12:58 PM

I was a teen in the 90s, so my tastes were formed there and then. I find it amusing to see everything I always loved wearing being now “fashionable”, and somehow my style (which didn’t change much, ha) is now very mainstream! Must be the same feeling my mum has whenever the 70s are revisited yet again (does that mean I’m really old? well, I suppose)

4. tasha

2011-04-28 at 2:17 PM

already own a pair of the black velvet chunky heels 90’s vintage ravel! LOVE them.

5. Megan Guernsey

2011-04-28 at 2:50 PM

I miss these shose! Now all I have is the sas! Didn;t I feel taller b4

6. Sarah

2011-04-28 at 3:13 PM

Yay for 90’s nostalgia. No wonder I feel shorter now :(.
    Sarah
    x

7. amanda

2011-04-28 at 4:24 PM

these are awesome.. thanks for the tip!

8. heatherheartsfashion

2011-04-28 at 4:29 PM

i do love a chunky shoe but there is so many on the market right now i would probably opt for a more modern version. the majority of fashion moments i want to relive from the 90s are clothes and not shoes (and are from fresh prince)

9. vanvan

2011-04-28 at 4:48 PM

re: heatherheartsfashion
    i agree BUT i feel like these shoes are so much more unique if anything the ORIGNAL inspiration for many of the styles available now therefor maybe even much more authentic

10. Online Fashion Boutique

2011-04-28 at 4:54 PM

I love these shoes they are so amazing!

11. Sueotto16

2011-04-28 at 5:12 PM

amazing selection and presentation. incredibly inspirational too!!!!!!

12. lola

2011-04-28 at 5:15 PM

Don’t appeal to me at all and the revival of the 90s is creeping me out-I REMEMBER THE 90s!

13. casual dresses

2011-04-28 at 5:31 PM

outstanding you guyz migh be interested in your dresses too http://tnkleathers.com

14. Alicia

2011-04-28 at 5:48 PM

I recently busted out a pair of 90s platform Doc Marten t-strap maryjanes that I’ve had since “back in the day”, and felt catapulted back into high school, maybe not in a good way. I’m not quite ready for some of these styles to come back around, to be honest – it really does feel too recent for my 28-year-old self to handle, especially since items from the mid- to late 90s aren’t technically vintage yet. I will say that these shoes are flippin’ comfy, though.

15. Olive

2011-04-29 at 7:57 AM

I love the last pic! (peach shoes)

16. bling duck fashion

2011-04-29 at 9:18 AM

I remember wearing this kind of chunky footwear back in Highschool!

17. hyderabad deals

2011-04-29 at 10:59 AM

Love the collection, absolutely amazing. 🙂

18. michele

2011-04-29 at 5:42 PM

I absolutely adore this! I love the creeper shoes and the booby jacket!

19. Dru

2011-04-29 at 6:22 PM

I get what you’re saying, Susie- it’s a bit understandable for those of us who actually went through teen/tweenhood in the 90s (when I actually WAS a huge fan of Garbage and No Doubt), but when you see kids who are teens now rhapsodising about things they’re not even old enough to remember, it does induce a bit of head-scratching.

20. Dru

2011-04-29 at 6:30 PM

Also, at the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon, I really HATE the fact that most tumblrs either outright don’t bother citing sources for their images, or only cite other tumblrs (which thieved the images in the first place).
    Maybe I just feel particularly grumpy because one of the images above was from an editorial that wasn’t fully viewable anywhere online…I scanned the whole thing for TFS and put the image on my tumblr, and next thing you know the tumblr thieves are at it again (I know I don’t own the image, Corinne Day/Conde Nast does, but scanning takes time and trouble, which tumblr apparently doesn’t like to acknowledge).

21. posi

2011-04-29 at 9:42 PM

i dont believe in the holy bible of image posting where someone says
    “i scanned it – I want credit”
    Did you create this image? No.
    Was it published in a magazine? Yes.
    Could it be on bedroom walls or in tear books removed from that magazine? Yes.
    Could it also be reposted around the internet for all to see? Yes
    Could someone else have scanned it? Yes.
    Tumblrs are new forms of expressions – almost like tears up on a wall of a girls bedroom.

22. Dru

2011-04-30 at 2:14 AM

posi- most tumblrs don’t credit ANYONE for the image, including the photographer, editorial or magazine in which it was published (like I said, image credits on tumblr are something very few people appear to believe in- something you just proved me right about).
    And I’m sorry, but it’s no one’s god-given right to put uncredited images on their tumblr, “new forms of expression” notwithstanding.

23. Hannah:)

2011-04-30 at 6:03 AM

Isn’t it strange looking at these things from the 90’s when they feel like they were yesterday? And they were! It’s sad that it’s “cool” now; I never stopped loving any of it when 2000 arrived, and I feel like for the past few years, it’s been the only decade untouched by trend-om. Nonetheless, let us original 90s lovers hold on and wear shoes like these proudly, even (especially?) when they go back out of style again!

24. lawyer

2011-04-30 at 11:51 AM

really its awesome article… good..