DSC_2637

>> Aaages ago, fellow Hong Kong-er Penter Yip sent me an email about his idea for a sketchbook for fashion design students, compiling a useful compendium of information as well as a moleskin-esque pages that had templates laid out ready for sketching.  I think I may have shot back a somewhat skeptical email questioning whether there was the need for a tempated sketchbook.  I pooped over this entrepeneur's idea and now I'm eating my rotten words, pungent with the stench of stinky tofu.

The resulting product Fashionary is now in its second revised edition with rave reviews a-plenty and demonstrating that there is in fact a need for the product.  Steve bought one for me and one for himself (they come in men and women's editions) from new London cutsey/gifty store 3939 in Clerkenwell to encourage any creative juice spillage onto its pages.  Whilst the bulk of the pages with dummy templates caters specifically to fashion students and designers, it's the front section of Fashionary that surprisingly throws up a good amount of information that any fashion enthusiast/blogger/journo will appreciate such as a guide to pocket shapes/styles, illustrated seams and stitches, size charts, fashion week calendars and brand/label indexes.  It's not wholly comprehensive but there's enough information to feed the brain some general fashion fodder that it sometimes needs – such as knowing the difference between an Imperial collar and a Mandarin one or knowing that the American, Eureopean and Japanese standards for care labelling.  I may not fill the pages with anything other than normal Moleskin crap such as lists for Waitrose shopping or books-to-borrow but I definitely appreciate some of Fashionary's practical info that will see me peppering posts more fruity fashion language.

DSC_2638

DSC_2640

DSC_2641

DSC_2642

DSC_2643

DSC_2644

1. kam says:

Dear santa… please note what the lovely miss Bubble has brought to my attention. Have added to my list. Thanks muchly!

2. I bought one of these back when they used to sell on Etsy (under the supplies category) and LOVE mine! I’m also looking forward to one day having a shelf full of them that I can browse back through and see my past collections in sketch form…I would have LOVED this when I was in fashion school!

3. jessica says:

that is so cool! i’ll have to add it to my xmas list!

4. Emy Koster says:

Great idea!! I’m def a big Moleskin fan! Gonna check it out
    xx
    Emy

5. Fantastic idea, definately one for Xmas I think!

6. Kenny says:

ohh wow! i definitely need one of those 🙂

7. olivia says:

I love this book I wish I had one!! Maybe I should get it for myself for christmas 🙂

8. Good Post, I guess this book is good for student’s of fashion designing.

9. C says:

Thank you for posting this, it’s really great. I just bought one for myself and the men’s version for my boyfriend.

10. Anne says:

Gosh, I want that

11. Jin Lee says:

it will be bery useful if I have one.
    I want it..!!
    Can I get it if I visit the websiete you write?

12. I’ve just started fashion college and this is genius! I’m adding it to my Christmas wishlist right this second. x

13. Lourdes says:

That’s awesome! What a great idea — love it!
    Love your blog, btw.
    xo,
    Lourdes
    Please feel free to stop by my blog if you have a moment. Thanks!

14. Cynthia says:

A Have a big hope on fashion …U always satisfy me with ur stuffs coz they all are Amazing idea for design…http://www.facebook.com/pages/Viva-Magazine-Your-Premium-Womens-Natural-Health-Magazine/262734921452?ref=ts I feel very proud and lucky to visit ur blog!!!

15. purselovers says:

Well said ! I also like the post. You have described very well about Rules of Fashion.

16. S.Ella says:

I’ve been meaning to get this for a while now. I first saw it on the collette site, but now I know it’s sold in London I’m putting this on my Christmas wishlist.

17. Although my design skills are somewhat questionable I feel compelled to have this and will definitely have to track it down. Who knows, maybe its sheer chicness will lend me a few more drops of sketching talent….lol

18. Sourijah says:

As a Fashion & Design I love this! And just bought it <3 Can't wait to use it!!!

19. Emily M says:

I like the practical guides at the front, but I’m skeptical of the increasing stylisation of the fashion design process. I think Fashionary jumped on the bandwagon early.