Yaaaaaaaang Duuuuuu to the Rescue!

Yaaaaaaaang Duuuuuu to the Rescue!

I had a few superheroe and heroine designers that saved my eyes and head from falling into a deep deep sleep when I came back from New York and was bunged up, groggy and a general mass of phlegm, but one quite literally gave me superhero hives.  Trust Yang Du, Chinese-born, London-based surrealist, humourist, lets-not-take-it-too-seriously fun time designer to make it all ok with her S/S 11 'He is a Superman' collection.  Trust Yang to incorporate Superman, Batman and Astroboy into one collection together with other tidbits from Asian toy world as well as err… squid seen at a fish market in Korea all into one collection (which makes full sense when you see her drawings… ) and for it all to sit together in cartoonish harmony.  Trust Yang to make superheroes look EXTRA super by putting them on oversized t-shirt dresses.

Firstly, her installation at the LFW BFC New Gen tent made by Jonny Buttons forced my peepers to open wide… a note about that, sitting on the panel for New Gen for the first time this season, I was trying to bite my tongue NOT to be biased about Yang Du but fortunately everyone was also incredibly enthusiastic and excited by Yang Du's world, showcased by her wonderful drawings and illustrations so there was no hard sell needed there and I was therefore super chuffed to see her in the New Gen showcase.

DSC_2195

I ALWAYS always love the sense of FUN (a particularly prominent theme for S/S 11…) in Yang Du's lookbooks but this time, taking her models out into the big bad world, just validates the need for more of these dresses to have a life outside of a studio.  Yang Du has few stockists at the moment but I'm hoping that changes if people see that a robot, Astroboy, monster or Superman enlarged face on a t-shirt dress isn't ACTUALLY going to be that distracting to the real world.  Or even if it is distracting, perhaps it's a good thing to be spreading some cartoon loving around the world…

IMG_3945

IMG_0845

IMG_0965

IMG_3665

Or just the very fact that Yang Du requires big smiles and arms stretched out wide is a good thing indeed.  Come on, I know everyone of you has a very good Teen Vogue-esque jump in you that these dresses definitely benefit from…

IMG_3890

IMG_4059

IMG_3953

IMG_0837

DSC_2183 DSC_2184

As well as the dresses, Yang's knitwear skills gets applied to these oversized animal knitted hats as well as gloves that have the sort of fun finger tips that I remember from yesteryear…

IMG_0704 IMG_3694

IMG_3760

DSC_2191

I'm not quite onboard with superheroes yet though I have my eye on some Astroboy eyes boring out of my chest but I have been waiting a while to break out with this cashmere t-shirt dress adorned with A/W 10-11's oversized zebra.  I'm never gonna be the kind of lass to wear S/S 11 Louis Vuitton type Chinoiserie-infused zebra print of course so this will be the zebra that I'm donning… with a jump, a skip and a smile of course!

DSC_3768

DSC_3762

DSC_3782
(Yang Du A/W 10-11 cashmere t-shirt dress, Topshop tights, See by Chloe bag via Beso, Lacoste leather visor, Suno x Loeffler Randall shoes)

Oh, and yes, after walking about in these Suno x Loeffler Randall shoes, I declare them  STREET-friendly.  I needed another gratuitous shot of them back at home just to affirm that I do indeed have them in my possession…

DSC_3800

Also, if REAL superheroes aren't your thing, I have a feeling that Yang Du's superhero inclinations lie towards the maligned and the slightly random… I think one of the dresses were DEFINITELY inspired by Suppaman from my all-time-fave-guilty-pleasure-cartoon, Dr. Slump…

29 comments

1. MJ

2010-10-10 at 5:58 PM

This is really cute and you, obviously, look awesome in it, but I can’t help but be put off by my experience in the Yang Du room at LFW. The lady in charge stopped me from taking a photo, asked who I was and where I was from and when she found out I was a blogger and not one of the big guns, refused to let me take photos. Whereas every other one of the Newgen spaces was lovely and friendly and was happy to talk about the collection with me and so on. If there’s a reason for this other than what it seems on the surface, I’d change my opinion gladly, but as it is I was a bit disappointed because the clothes were pretty awesome! I know other bloggers I spoke to were also refused photo permission.

2. Cate

2010-10-10 at 5:59 PM

Such fun designs I love them especially the hats and gloves! I make similar animal accessories to you can find them in my Etsy shop xoxo

3. susie_bubble

2010-10-10 at 6:03 PM

MJ: Oh, I’m so sorry to hear that! That doesn’t sound like Yang Du at all… I doubt it’s because you’re a blogger because err… well I’m one too! She may just have an over-protective press person working with her… did you ask first before taking pics – that normally helps rather than just taking pics at the get-go….

4. franca maisha

2010-10-10 at 6:03 PM

<3 <3 <3 absolutely adore these sorta sweaters/dresses!!! so comfy and most of all.. FUN! :)
    xx

5. Nek

2010-10-10 at 6:18 PM

Very cute I want them all

6. diane

2010-10-10 at 6:26 PM

I was listening to Adele’s Crazy For You whilst reading your post, and it just seemed to fit with your enthusiasm over Yang Du’s creations. What I love the most about these dresses, is how original they are and not just another incarnation of the 60’s. They look authentically from that era, but unlike anything else produced by the Twiggy generation.
    kiss, kiss, xo d

7. renee

2010-10-10 at 6:27 PM

oooh..cartoon..finally….!!!!!and plus..the clothes doesn’t look under-aged…..yay….i hope to see those peach shift dresses(with eyes embossed on them)on celebrities..soon….or myself…haha…i also love those…large numbers..the prints on it has been beautifully colour co-ordinated..which..strays from making it.too..sloppish..i guess..
    it seems totally wearable..atleast on you…can’t wait..to lose myself in one…though one needs a really good pair of shoes to carry those off……!!!!
    much love…
    bisous..bisous..

8. Lois

2010-10-10 at 6:51 PM

i love the looks! you can pull off anything!
    Lois

9. pink

2010-10-10 at 7:07 PM

thank you very much Susie for your comment at http://thetalesofselfindulgence.blogspot.com
    you are really nice:-) love your outfit too!!
    xoxo

10. MJ

2010-10-10 at 7:38 PM

@Susie – I guess that could be the case, but still I found it a little weird. Thanks for getting back to me on it, anyway!

11. Penny Dreadful Vintage

2010-10-10 at 9:05 PM

Oh I absolutely love these, just my type of thing. The astroboy is hilarious but I think I like the lion best – almost psychadelic 60s in style. Frankly, I would wear any of them, they are such fun and I love clothes that make me smile.
    Shame they don’t appear to be sold online, but mind you I doubt it is something I could afford! Happy just to look, I will definitely be keeping an eye on this designer 🙂

12. Natasha Gregson

2010-10-10 at 9:15 PM

These are just the coolest!! What a great concept, it looks great on you, i particulary love the detailing 🙂 xx

13. Stylista

2010-10-10 at 11:12 PM

What fun! And those shoes you have! Actually, they do look street-friendly.

14. rollergirl

2010-10-11 at 12:01 AM

Oh Yay, how I love Yang du! Penny Dreadful there is some Yang stuff available at Supersweet here: http://www.supersweet.org/shop/product.aspx?b=Yang%20Du

15. Jennifer

2010-10-11 at 12:19 AM

I loved the stuff you posted last time from Yang Du, and her new stuff is dandy too!
    The cartoonish eye dresses are my favourite, I also love the makeup 😀 The fun element that all the Yang Du pieces definitely speaks to me, its nice to take off the serious attitude all the time when it comes to dressing.

16. amanda archambault

2010-10-11 at 3:07 AM

This post is amazing! I love the style you chose! It’s not quite totally in but it’s something that draws your eyes close and catches your attention so I think you did a great job!
    visit my blog:
    toppedoffwitharedhat.blogspot.com

17. me

2010-10-11 at 8:36 AM

i just loved you put Dr Slump Arare-chan in your blog… it really reminded me of my childhood… love your style as always‚ô™

18. lyrebirdgully

2010-10-11 at 11:17 AM

Love your leather visor! and, the homage to Twiggy, especially in the bobcat photo.

19. Karina Hill

2010-10-11 at 1:51 PM

love the designs, I’ve always been into cartoonish pieces, and I adore the power puff girl/ 60’s mod inspired Make-up, its quite darling;)
    ps. It was a pleasure seeing you at the IFB conference, when I read your post now, all I can hear is your meekly sweet british accent.
    smooches,
    Karina

20. Laura

2010-10-11 at 4:06 PM

Love the batman stuff… not so sure on the rest….

21. angela

2010-10-11 at 5:16 PM

wow this is so trippy…

22. samia

2010-10-11 at 7:03 PM

hehe nice to see you smiling widely susie!
    also loove the creepy eye make up effect, i must try it on myself one of these days,
    feel free to check out my rather insane blog http://pretenshuss.blogspot.com/

23. La Carmina

2010-10-12 at 7:06 AM

The anime girl eye makeup is EPIC. I want to re-create it hahah!
    Looks like you’ve been having fun lately… congrats and keep the adventures coming! xo
    † LA CARMINA † Harajuku fashion

24. seesaw

2010-10-12 at 6:09 PM

you are the cutest!

25. hair accessories

2010-10-13 at 3:35 AM

So cute! I love them all especially those hats and gloves. I wonder if there are some animal hair accessories too.

26. Migration Agents Melbourne

2010-10-13 at 7:47 AM

very cute outfits, looks great on you, too, lovely

27. Emily

2010-10-15 at 12:07 AM

i loveee all that stuff! what fun!

28. Swan

2010-10-16 at 9:51 PM

i LOVE this outfit. i LOVE! those shoes. i think those are my favourites of recent online lookings.

29. Salima

2011-02-16 at 8:22 PM

I absolutely adore Suno.
    Also recently came across an emerging designer’s page, Shellina, who uses Khanga Sarongs she grew up wearing in Tanzania to bring her designs into life. Her designs are much more modern than Suno’s. Amazing! here is the link to her fb page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mremeaux-by-Shellina/104654682928751