>> I'm not ENTIRELY sure why when this original retrospective of Hussein Chalayan's work from 1994-2009 at London's Design Museum was never blogged about here.  I'm scratching my head even more seeing as the exhibition was also media-partnered by Dazed & Confused, where I was working at the time.  Was I somehow put off by the mountains of positive praise the exhibition got and thus didn't think me and my blog chirping in was going to add anything useful or insightful?

As I ponder what happened to my responsible posting antics during the period of January and May 2009, I'm instead going to be INCREDIBLY belated by posting these pics that I took at the Istanbul Modern where the exhibition is currently touring and has also been updated with additions of some of his 2010 collections.  I guess I still have nothing interesting to say about the exhibition in 2010 as my muted self in 2009, other than to echo what everyone else has said.  What I will say though is that given the bigger space of the Istanbul Modern, Donna Loveday's curation of the exhibition seems even more effective, especially when it comes to the video projections of Chalayan's various film projects that he has accumulated throughout the years.  The choice of mannequins that have an almost-eerie expression and liveliness to their faces all bring the extraordinary clothes to life as opposed to the alternative of the normal headless dummies that could have made Chalayan's creations look cold and sterile.  And oh dear… here we go… review mode… this is of course NOT new for those that did make it to the Design Museum but somehow, reliving it the second time in the hustle of Istanbul, a ground closer to Chalyan's Turkish-Cypriot roots, enhanced the overall impact of the exhibition.  Plus, this is blogpost atonement here.

Ah I just remembered…. I had a duff SD card that deleted my pics of the exhibition… DOUBLE DOH!

Blindscape S/S 05

Airborne A/W 07

DSC_3084

DSC_3085

DSC_3083

DSC_3082

1. besa says:

strange but cool, very interesting indeed

2. Chalayan’s work is really amazing and, in my opinion, he is one of the very few true innovators in design. I watched a show where the clothing morphed into a different piece and as sci-fi as it may seem the piece still looked wearable. Anywho I really like the mannequins used in the pics, they definitely add to the overall aesthetic.
    NaughtyBaubles
    NaughtyBaubles on Etsy

3. agnes szucs says:

I don’t really like the faces, but i love the installations.
    I revere Chalayan so much! He puts so much thought into his works… I think we don’t even understand all of what he’s saying with his clothes. That Ambimorphous (now I know it had a name, too) collection was a favourite of mine!
    xo
    Agnes
    (I’d be happy if you came and visited my blog at http://iiiinspired.blogspot.com/ )

4. Kit says:

I reallllly want to go, I’ve been his fan since 1998! Is his wooden coffee table skirt included in the exhibition?

5. Nickie Frye says:

The mannequins are extremely unattractive! They are terribly distracting. Woof!

6. Winnie says:

I saw this when it was at the Design museum, it was pretty amazing and quite the show. The mannequins are a little creepy but I think it really adds to the clothes like you said. Chalayan never does things by halves, so why should the mannequins be left out? I couldn’t get a great picture of the LED dress with my shoddy camera, but it looks great here!

7. annieo says:

A bit scary but amazingggg at the same time <3

8. X Alex says:

Hussein Chalayan is such a visionary! His works always speaks volumes about what is happening in the world today and what he is thinking about. I really like the mannequins with their eyes closed, looking so at peace with the surroundings and the installation with the mannequins painting the wall, but getting darker and darker, as though they are stained in the process.

9. Olive says:

awesome!!i love the blue dress 🙂

10. Jade says:

fuck hussien chalayan is amazing

11. Rachel says:

creepy… ^^
    The clothes are interesting!!
    litlstrawberry.blogspot.com

12. the designs and costume are very nice and a good collection of Exbhit. thanks for the stop and share.
    -Steve Mack

13. Leonidas says:

hussein is one of the most talented and creative designers. it’s sad that he’s so underrated i think

14. I have always admired the work of Hussein Chalayan and I have been lucky enough to meet him inthe flesh. A very intense, deep-thinking character. Real substance behind his designs

15. staceyedenly says:

oh wow it’d be great to go! And you’re right, those lifelike dummies really do add a little something extra!

16. Thea says:

One of the few designers who are truly innovative. I’ve been looking around to see if this show will ever pop up anywhere in the US! Anyone know???

17. love love love love love love love. I wish Id gone more than once.

18. pink says:

adorable!! love it
    check out my fashion blog at thetalesofselfindulgence.blogspot.com
    the new post is updated today!! DOMT MISS xoxo… if you fancy it pls follow via bloglovin or google:-)

19. Becca says:

This must have been an absolutely incredible exhibition – wow