>> There's been a handful of sites that have popped up in attempts to democratise design, in an attempt to put the act of fashion design into the hands of the consumer.  Beta Fashion is a fairly new one where they have made a particular niche out of original prints submissions from a design community fostered by the site.  So Beta Fashion sets the brief ('autumn flowers' 'poseidon' are some of the themes…), budding designers upload their print, they're critiqued by the community in a rating system and then final winners' print designs are transferred onto easy-to-consume leggings, dresses, tops and scarves. This month, print-mad me has set the brief.  My initial ideas were probably a bit obscure…  prints themed around 18th century rococo patterns?  Dead flowers?  ASCII characters?

In the end, I went for something that is seemingly generic but hopefully will yield some unexpected results.  Some entries have already started coming in but the competition deadline is 2nd September so I'm expecting lots of escapes to numerous star-scapes and hopefully I find four surprising ones to make it to the final production leg who also get ¬£300 each.  Brief is here…

"My own personal style thrives on prints.  Actually it's
pretty much a backbone of my wardrobe which is probably why I stumble
out onto the streets looking like I've haphazardly combined 10 different
outfits into one.  The breadth of prints available now, especially
bolstered by the techniques of digital print has really come into its
own over the last decade or so with everything and anything being the
literal subject of a fashion print.

Peter_Pilotto_CircinusGalaxy
Peter_Pilotto_Galaxy_Centaurus_A

IMG_6260

The theme that I have
therefore chosen for this project's brief is SPACE SCAPES.  It's a broad
term that really stemmed from the cosmic prints that started permeating
designers' work with Peter Pilotto being a prime example, especially
his A/W 08 collection.  Designers such as the New York-based Risto
Bimbiloski have also similarly used star scapes in their work.

Polaroid_03

Risto-1

However, the premise of the brief 'Space Scapes; is that beyond the photographs
captured from Hubble's telescope, there's definitely more scope within
the arena of depicting outerspace.  You could imagine new universes,
views from planets overlooking other planets and moons, inject mythical
elements and create your own space scape.  A quick Google of 'space art'
and it throws up many imagined instances of space phenomena that I
think, are scientifically impossible.

Space_Planet_Explosion_010521_

It doesn't have to be
photographic either.  There aren't many examples of space drawn or
painted out because obviously it can't be seen by most first-hand.
Designer Tsumori Chisatohas instead imagined outer space, combined it
with the novella
The Little Prince, and has portrayed it through her
distinct way of illustration for her A/W 09 collection.  In a more
abstracted direction, Shab D Alexander uses Hubble telescope images to
inspire her no-so-literal tie dye patterns that she transfers onto
leggings and t-shirts.

Campaign-AW-2009-10-01

In short, whilst designers have explored the theme of space scapes mainly through photographic digital prints, I think there's more that can be done with the theme using different methods as well as drawing from different sides to the universe.  Afterall, it
is supposed to be an infinite space out there right?  I look forward to
seeing the spaced-out results!"

1. kat says:

DYING.. can’t wait to see the celestial-inspired products!

2. Annching says:

This looks so cool – I can’t wait to see what comes of it, both with the company and this particular set of prints!

3. melissa says:

This prints are awesome, love the space theme!

4. Sina says:

yes, infinite space 😉 ..i love this pictures somewhere in my mind

5. Yoshi says:

yesssssss
    space is my favourite thing

6. Sarade says:

Space scapes especially look great in the dark!

7. Lee says:

the umpteenth project about space and fashion – seen so much about space, science and fashion online I’m sick about it all. And you know what, you should add the links to all the fashion blogs you pilfered to come up with this idea.

8. Linda Colney says:

I love the idea! Can’t wait to see the winners and the final collection. I hope there are more projects to come, the dead flowers one sounds really intereting too. Bonne chance a tous les designers 🙂

9. Anonymous says:

Lee: By umpteenth project, did you mean umpteenth designer who has done projects referencing space because of course I never claimed this idea/projec to be an original one… I thought first of designers which I referenced in my brief…I didn’t start off with blogs (not sure what you mean in your references)… Alas I couldn’t do something ultra specific and the point was to come up with a brief with references at hand… My point was to see if people could come up with a different view on space scapes…most use photographic references but I was thinking there are less ‘imagined’ space scapes…hopefully there will different interpretations of the brief…
    Please don’t think I was trying to do something 100% original… I stated my references and reasons quite clearly I think…

10. Marie says:

Already some really cool designs on the site. Looking forward to seeing more. I think your brief is great as it encourages the designers to come up with something really original. Beam me up Susie!

11. Just trawled through the shop and I think I may have found the perfect autumn scarf. Your brief sounds great and I can’t wait to see what kind of submissions will see the light of day.
    And in reference to Lee’s comment above about supposed blog pilfering, there’s a quote by Jim Jarmusch that you might have read, but I think is still relevant.
    “Nothing is original. Steal from anything that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, ransom conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existant. And don’t bother conceling your thievery – celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take things from, it’s where you take things to””.
    That being said, I don’t think that you’re actually stealing ideas or from other people blogs by a long shot! Like Jarmusch said; authenticity is invaluable and your brief draws from different sources to create an authentic vision.

12. Malize says:

The “Space pattern” reminds me a lot of Illustrator Jasper Goodall’s line of bikinis.
    This: http://jg4b.com/ss08/imageviewer.php?id=bik_bestiary_starlight&title=Starlight&sizeX=760&sizeY=550 Is from summer 08 collection.

13. Val says:

I like the last illustration 😉
    -diary of a fashion stylist-

14. Love the spacescapes! I also like what Marie said above on 8/6 the Jim Jarmusch qoute. True.

15. Amy says:

I’ve always been obsessed with space… I’d love to wear it!
    WOLF WHISTLE

16. supra skytop says:

i thought this was funny. Natalie Dee’s comic shows what happens between egg friends when one them becomes a chicken. As Serious Eats put it.