DSC_0784

DSC_0786

When Leith Clark, editor in chief of Lula, did that Topshop 'Mirror Mirror' project, one of the comments that was typed out on the mirror, probably much to the delight of the girl having her style analysed was "You're a Lula girl!"  I participated in the same project and sadly had no such grand declaration to offer up (my comments were long winded and probably not very useful….).

I remember that particular comment from Clark because it encapsulated what the magazine, which is still relatively young, has done in terms of projecting a certain aesthetic about itself and has thus won the hearts of many a girl who could ally themselves with one publication and very proudly call themselves a 'Lula girl'…. I'm not sure whether the same can be said for other publications.

DSC_0797

DSC_0756

It's all very fascinating to me as someone who glances at the peripheries of the world of Lula and is categorically NOT a Lula girl, not because I don't read the magazine but because inherently I'm too shambolic a mess to be Lula-ified and, as a sage commentor pointed out, my wardrobe frequently explodes on me (I quite like the term 'wardrobe explosion').  I can't quite commit myself to the level of whimsy that Lula dishes out so consistently in their issues and whilst I'm a dreamer, I also have too many pragmatic doubts to stay put in a dreamer's land.  Ack, we're getting into dodgy short story territory here.  Suffice to say, Lula's world is one that has tapped into a particular style zeitgeist, connecting to both full-time and part-time dreamers (that would be me…) and their imagery has certainly created a style genre or even tribe in some cases.

DSC_0762
DSC_0763

DSC_0755

It therefore makes complete sense that Lula should have its first pop-up shop which has now arrived in Harvey Nichols to celebrate Lula's 5th birthday.  I remember how much I enjoyed the Pop/Selfridges collaboration and in a similar vein, Harvey Nicholas has asked Clark to especially commission and curate products going into the specially designed space by Fiona Leahy.  The usual suspect are there… Charles Anastase, Erdem, Lover, Moschino, Sonia Rykiel and Miu Miu with either limited designs that were created especially for the project or revived archive pieces such as the Miu Miu glitter shoes.

DSC_0779

A revived Charles Anastase x Longchamp bag…

DSC_0767

I got lucky and bagged the Pop/Selfridges Miu Miu collab shoes ons ale but I'm thinking there'll be no such luck with these Tabitha Simmons shoes at a cost of £685!!!

DSC_0768

Paper heart… much prefer the physical entity to the film of the same name…

DSC_0766

Yer' bestsellers… the more accessibly priced sweatshirt/tee memento…
I just can't bear to describe things as 'rad' though…

DSC_0769

DSC_0761

Mash it all up together (actually, do Lula girls 'mash'?) with some added balloons, lollies and ice cream bicycles outside Harvey Nicks promoting the pop-up shop (I didn't stay long enough to catch that sweet sight…) and you have yourself a place for Lula girls all over to swoon.  Lazy half-hearted Lula-ites such as myself was honing in on the girlification of two Rodarte dresses made especially for the shop – in a green lame and green/grey marble print.  No patchworking, fringing or taped-up straps here but a well executed example of simplification.

DSC_0753

DSC_0772

DSC_0773

Lo and behold, as I was there taking pictures, the perfect specimen of a Lula girl popped up.  Kristina here who works for Vivienne Westwood came by to check out the store looking splendid in Westwood, Luella and style that instantly reduces me down into the distinctly UN-Lula pile.

DSC_0788

DSC_0789

I'm ok with being a lousy part-timer though.  Just hand me the Erdem and I'll slip away back to my shambolic N7 hole, as a slow undoing of the dress' pristine primness…

1. Sarah Betty says:

GORGEOUS. I so want to go.
    Sarah Betty

2. Thea says:

This is awesome. It really encapsulates the aura and feeling of that certain type of feminine, gentle fashion lover with a bit of a quirk. These are great pieces and so unique. I love it

3. Great pictures, I’d love to visit!:)SarahD

4. glayki says:

i like it,I so want to go!!!

5. Halie says:

Ah, this pop-up shop looks divine! I love the idea of reviving pieces from past collections…very cool! The glitter shoes are absolutely fabulous.
    I had also never heard of the Mirror Mirror project before this (therefore I HAD to check out the video)…its so cool!

6. Nina says:

I love all the photos so much!!! I can’t even pick my favorite…

7. Fab! I like the kitsch and the arty exaggerated details.

8. S.Ella says:

lol, I loved your last line. I need to get down there and see this, but something tells me I’m going to miss it (like I miss everythign else)

9. rollergirl says:

LOOOOVE Lula, am going tomoz so read this post thru my fingers so as not to see the pics!

10. The scenic design is inspiring, and so simple! My shop window needs a do-over, and this has got me going hmmm….

11. snappy says:

Kristina looks incredible from head to toe. Loving her short socks and shoes. They just complete the outfit. And the Lula shop is a a feast for the eyes isn’t it? Very snappy.
    xsnappy

12. Evelyn says:

COOL!! I wish I could go there. Love the way it was displayed.

13. Margherita says:

mmm i found it a bit disappointing and overly too expensive. But I got the lollipop!

14. Wonderful place!
    Loving Kristina’s look!

15. love this little cute pink girly Lula’s world. everything is so pretty and very much “lady like” inspired. loving Kristina’s look. that shirt is great on her and the colour is very cool
    Elena

16. Sabine says:

Could one become maybe only half a Lula girl? Then we could mash and mix as much as feel like.

17. … that glitter shoe, I am definitely in love with it.
    And great blog – I just stumbled upon it and it has a wonderful mix of content.
    __
    Rachael Krystina at latentblatant.com

18. Ji. says:

I wanted to leave a comment on the post before but see the numbers of the message i left one in this.
    i m reading your blog for a long time, and i think your blog is the most original one because of the big numbers of posts and their contents. The mix of the colors and the cuts of your clothes sometimes haunts me for the entire day 🙂
    and for such a young girl like you i admire your acute point of view in fashion.
    i just want you to continue the same way you are doing,
    Bisoux, Ji.

19. Giiomfg says:

Okay, this is way too much cuteness.
    Makes me want a pair of brunette braids floating with help of some pastel-colored balloons, white dress with pink flowers all over, pretty garden on the back&all that jazz

20. melissa says:

Love the Miu Miu glittered sandals and the Rodarte sweater!

21. Kila says:

Here are some behind the scenes snaps of the `Fiona Leahy Team
    designing and building the Pop Up and 5th Bday Dinner for Lula – soooo good!

22. jeanne berre says:

J’adore la pr√©sentation, l’univers, tout cela donne dr√¥lement envie !!! Merci pour toutes ces d√©couvertes.

23. Carmen says:

I love the sweat !!

24. Sophia says:

I love the glittery shoes, they are amazing! Kristina looks absolutely amazing. I love her mix of prints and the cat brooch, so cute. The green Rodarte dress is so perfect, yum. <3

25. Joanna M. says:

Amazing dear Susie!
    xoxo
    j

26. I am in no way a Lula ‘girl’ (at 34 I stopped being a girl about 10 years ago) but went into convulsions when I saw the reissued Miu Miu’s which are EXACTLY the shoes I have been dreaming of for my wedding.
    And as it’s my wedding I’m allowed to spoil myself right?
    SOLD!To the lady browsing the interwebs whilst still in bed!
    kjp x
    Love the blog btw – long time reader, first time commenter =)

27. Great pictures, I’d love to visit!:)SarahD

28. I ain’t a Lula girl… But this is gorgeous. I am blinded by this explosion of glitters, hearts and sweet allure.