The term 'Running in Heels', be it a reference to the cringingly bad reality TV show or just as a phrase by itself never fails to conjure up images of women going into poodle-mode and 'running' (if you can call it that…) in tip toes.  It's an activity fraught with danger especially if you're 'running' on uneven pavement that London is full of, and it's just something that technically heels aren't made to serve, as a function.  I don't do it, unless there are two/three buses coming at the same time and KNOW deep in my heart, that there won't be one for ages.  Even then, I only attempt it in my safest and studiest heels of choice.  So, when I read Heavy Machine's blurb where their brand statement declared…

"We felt that we needed shoes that represent our point of view, and that are also easy to run away with, on any occasion," eyebrows were raised.

Of course, they could just mean that their shoes are so desirable that women would err…want to do a runner with them, which looking at the images, yes, I suppose one could well do.  But back to the running thing, looking at the type of heel constructions of Heavy Machine's shoes, it does look like some technical consideration has been given as to how the weight of the foot is distributed.  So perhaps, their statement does hold true.  But like I said, with my innate laziness, running is probably still the least likely thing I'd do in heels, unless there was that aforementioned bus situation going on.

Heavy Machine was founded by Yoyo Pan and Michelle Wu who met as fashion students and are based in Taipei, Taiwan (woot woot for my first talk-up of a Taiwan-based brand!). They're trying to fill a gap with their particular kind of shoe aesthetic that is in my mind, a quirkier version of United Nude, with a real sense of fun and taking the whole running thing aside, Heavy Machine's footwear serve as structurally interesting shoes.

I do promise though if a pair ever came into my possession, hilarious YouTube vid of me doing my best attempt at 'running' would promptly ensue…

Heavymachine

1. Sally says:

I do believe I’m going to have to divorce my husband and marry those coral and gray sandals.

2. lacee swan says:

the coral and gray ones are beautiful! loving the blue and white too!, all amazing!!

3. Jillian says:

These are gorgeous heels and seem extremely wearable – I’d love to own any of them!I love the blue-gray-white pair the most though…

4. Ditaa says:

The white pair seem so interesting. I like how they really are designed to hold on to your ankle so there are no slips or twists in difficult situations. Love ’em!

5. Rowena says:

I REALLY like these…

6. Lucia says:

Find the best fashion and the best price from Spain to all the world in http://www.mintmelon.com

7. Cammila says:

Wow, the second to last ones are really incredible. Truly like nothing I’ve seen (at least here in middle-of-nowhere, USA).

8. Sarah K. says:

Love the construction and color combinations! Those shoes are awesome!

9. KD says:

I really dig the blue, white and gray ones. Sort of Marni-esque.

10. Shelley says:

Love the sturdy heels, the ankle detail, the colours! I’d like a pair of the red and gray, the coral and gray and the cream and black please, all in size 10. Sigh, they will never be available here, in the middle-of-nowhere, Canada, either!

11. cool! i really like the different colours!

12. Liz Blair says:

These look like they could double as little sculptures in a museum.

13. I love the black and cream colored ones, and they do look quite easy to run in compared to most heels!

14. Isabel says:

They look super practical! I would totally attempt to run in those too.

15. loy says:

I spent quite a bit of time in Taipei with work this year, it’s absolutely immense for shopping. Sooooo many cool individual shops all over the place and not in that horrible “Oh no… you’re not cool enough to cross this threshold” kind of way. Just gutted I didn’t come across these guys, the shoes are beautiful!

16. Shonshon8 says:

Meeeeow!! I would like a pair… or four or five! I can barely walk 2 blocks in NYC wearing super high heels, so these would be perfect. Taiwan, reprazent (my birthplace)!

17. Gash… Most beautiful footwear I ever seen. I am wishing someone to sell them at wholesalepages.co.uk ……
    Superb presentation

18. Jess says:

So where can we purchase these???

19. Nora says:

Where can we get these?? I’m obsessed…

20. Roy says:

I have seen these shoes in person (a rep of theirs was showing me the line for my shop) and they are amazing!!

21. Babel Fair says:

You can order Heavy Machine at http://www.babelfair.com. If you’re international please email contact@babelfair.com for details.

22. Alison says:

Hey Everyone,
    Heavy Machine is running a special Style Bubble appreciation promo on our facebook page.
    If 500 ‘LIKE’ our album post about Style Bubble this weekend, then we’ll do a 2 day SALE for 40% off our entire Spring Summer 2010 collection on our webstore (www.heavymachinedesign.com).
    So, please support Heavy Machine as we give thanks to Suzie and her awesome blog.
    (We need 500 people to LIKE this facebook album before midnight USA August 1st, so tell all your friends!!)
    — Alison

23. nikki says:

this is the future of footwear.

24. adrianne says: