Content-bg

I know that the first thing that will pop into your head after seeing this image above is Alexander McQueen's Plato's Atlantis S/S 10 collection.  I'm already anticipating the legions of comments going "Errr… that's a McQueen rip-off!".  Actually though, as it happens Candian-born, London-based shoe designer Anastasia Radevich's A/W 09-10 'Biofuture' collection was already exhibited at Carnaby Street back in June.  So let's just say that more than one designer can have their own vision of Plato's Atlantis.  If McQueen's hoof shoes are one extreme of his very specific vision of the creatures from the future that have been buried deep down under the sea, then Radevich's shoes are another extreme, albeit perhaps a touch more down to earth.  Using all of her hand-crafting might, Radevich has sculpted heels that are inspired by organic lifeforms and created lattice cut-out heels that look like decaying shells. The upper also flows along with the heel in undulating waves, like mermaids' tails and she's aptly applied an aquatic palette to the shoes too.

Tfile_lookbook_big_images_1

Tfile_lookbook_big_images_6

Tfile_lookbook_big_images_8

Tfile_lookbook_big_images_10

Tfile_lookbook_big_images_14

I'm not of course just pulling this stuff out of my arse.  Radevich has very helpfully put up her sketchbooks where her ideas are crystal clear…. crystal under-the-sea-water clear to be exact!

Tfile_inspiration_big_images_1

Tfile_inspiration_big_images_3

Tfile_inspiration_big_images_4

Tfile_inspiration_big_images_5

She only gives up a few images from her S/S 10 collection but she is going to be stocked at new concept store/e-store Wolf & Badger, which I've been anticipating ever since I sniffed them out.  It's been a long time coming but they're finally opening in February and if their stocking of Radevich is anything to go by, I'll be baaaack with a follow-up write-up on the Wolf & Badger's proceedings.

Tfile_details_big_images_3

1. Winnie says:

One of the things i love most is looking through the sketch books of artists/designers. I love seeing all the thought processes come together on one page. So beautiful. Her shoes are really amazing, I love all the details!

2. abigail says:

great details…..but i’ll be ready to break the falls of women slipping on ice, snow, & slush on NYC streets….

3. colleen says:

i love seeing what inspired these pieces and the shoes are just magnificent! couldn’t imagine walking in them though!

4. Hewnly says:

I just love this post! sketches charmed me

5. miss sophie says:

i really love her designs SO more than AMcQ’s, to be honest. his rather horrific vision of futuristic footwear was quite grotesque and as a woman it irks me when male designers choose to pull gimmicks like this on the runway.

6. Carina says:

It should be noted that Radevich has actually worked for McQueen as one of his shoe designers…for what it’s worth.
    But let me just say: Go Canada !!! 😀

7. this is so magical! thanks for sharing
    teri at tintedseaglass.blogspot.com

8. B says:

WOW! Those shoes look incredible!! Love the very first photo!
    xx

9. sd says:

wow having a look into the sketchbook is amazing!!
    i love seeing how her mind churned out these ideas and shapes!
    and i do prefer these over the McQueens simply because they seem more applicable to everyday wear, while the McQueens are absolute and utter fantasies!

10. diane says:

Some of it is great. Some I’m not crazy about. The first pair of shoes are simply wonderful. Also, I was wondering if I could ever get my hair done up like the model’s. hmmmmm.

11. heather says:

I love those turq shoes, beautiful!
    thesoundoflace.blogspot.com
    thesoundoflace.blogspot.com
    thesoundoflace.blogspot.com

Carina: You’re right, it SHOULD be noted though I wasn’t sure to what capacity Anastasia had worked for McQueen…. I mean…. it’s got to be said, he takes A LOT OF interns…
    Why are some of you leaving your links in comments THREE times? Am I missing something here?

13. Dith says:

Lovely!! Those shoes are quite unique

14. Victoria Lee says:

I love looking at designer’s sketches which show the beginning of the ideas which we see on the catwalk! This one is amazing, best collection of SS10!

15. TTTT says:

SKETCHES ARE REALLY GOOD… IT EXPLAINS A LOT WHERE DESIGNER GIT IDEAS FROM.

16. Amy says:

I don’t usually like printed shoes, but the pair in that last image are stunning!

17. Nina says:

beautiful beautiful shoes. i loev the outfit as well 🙂

18. violetville says:

woah, that sketchbook = amazing, so fantastic! wolf & badger = bookmarked!

19. Kamicha says:

Wow, I love these. Loved the whole McQueen parade, but the practicality aspect is always appreciated here to certain extent..

20. KD says:

Actually, it didn’t seem at all rip-offy to me, and that didn’t occur to me until you pointed it out! I hate it when people assume that just because two people used the same concept one must have ripped off the other. I actually prefer her shoes – I adored the McQueen collection but not the shoes, so much. They were nice, but I just felt they were continuations of the dresses, not really to be considered on their own so much.

21. Kiyo says:

I’m in love with all of them, would especially love to have the first one 🙂 Her sketchbook itself is a work of art.
    I can’t wait to read your follow-up!

22. cassie says:

Feels a bit stupid to say…you can take the majority of the shoe, I’ll keep the heel. I like the intricacy of them all!

23. This is so fanny! I know Anastasia really well and for me she is one of the most creative designers of the moment. She has an amazing brain and way of thinking. Yes, McQueen takes lots of interns… That is right, and it is also true that his collections sometimes are really inspired by some of the interns’ work. Well done Anastasia!! I can wait for you to finish your business plan, get back to London soon, and bring these shoes on!!!

24. I know Anastasia! She’s cool.
    She’s Belorussian actually, with a base in Montreal. Anastasia was an intern at McQeeun – rather odd I think that their work is so similar? She’s been into this style for ages.
    Anastasia had to leave London in December because she needed a paying job. This world ain’t fair is it?
    Thanks for posting this Ms. Bubble. I doubt Anastasia even knows about it!

25. airea says:

the skecth books make u appreciate the designs a whole lot more i think people who dont understand where the designs come from will prob buy them qiucker just by showin a few pages from the skecth books…