>> I spoke too soon about the weather.  Now it's sweltering in the most uncomfortable way and even as I'm looking at the hair on Holly Russell's pieces I'm thinking of the trickles of sweat running down those shoulders.  Still, as I had already experienced Holly's pieces on the Metro shoot, it was only right that I revisit her pieces, not through the Manchester Metropolitan Uni show at graduate fashion week (which I *gulped* missed) but through her exhibition at Manchester's Urbis centre where she scooped a Best of Manchester award in the fashion category.  So I'm having to black out the sticky sensation I'm feeling and think… cool breezes, on top of Primrose Hill, my hair and the hair on these pieces blowing in the wind along with the light silk/gauze material that she has used to juxtapose with the hair and irridescent feathers

**EDIT** A more observant reader than I pointed out that the 'feathers' on Holly's pieces are in fact beetle wings… I would have been perfectly happy with that seeing as the colours are so amazingly beautiful.  Alas, I spent the night trying to swat a wasp that persistently would not leave the flat and as such I'm bearing a prejudice against all things related to the insect world.  Fear not though, my anger will subside and I'll be perfectly happy with donning beetle wings on my shoulder.

Hollyrussell1

Hollyrussell2 Hollyrussell3

Hollyrussell4 Hollyrussell5

Hollyrussell6 Hollyrussell7

1. Those irridescent feathers are GORGEOUS!!! Are they plastic/hard?

2. Loving the feathers but not the wigs. Those will give me nightmares, seriously. I have an overactive imagination.
    -mereama

3. MJ says:

Love the white top with the hair. Can’t help but imagine it might be a bit itchy, though…

4. amanda says:

beautiful hairy ghosts!

5. ranoira says:

Hi, I just started my blog and thought it would be nice & polite to tell you I added you to my “stalking-list”. You keep an awesome blog ๐Ÿ™‚

6. sophia says:

Beautiful the feathers are fantastic .

7. CAST says:

Love the feathers, and perhaps the white one, though i’d hate to have to brush it :S i have enough hair as it is!

8. Isabel says:

Oooh, I’m simply in love with the feather pieces! The hair one I find a wee bit strange though.

9. bluefemme says:

I just want something cool hanging on my shoulders like chains or something.

10. Kaylene says:

Do you know if they are real feathers? They look kind of solid. I’d love to find me some iridescent feathers of my own. The DIY possibilities are endless!

11. Those are beetle wings!!! I love it! I use those same wings in my jewelry designs. It’s so magnificent to see them used in such a magnetically different way. perpendicularity is rad.

12. (btw, people are freaked by the wigs…they might be a little *more* freaked now, knowing those are not feathers, but beetle wings. so so fascinating.)

13. gahhhhh. the last photos. sooo beautiful. i very rarely go for whimsical delicate pretty looking things, but wow, i’m in awe…

14. Just wanted to stop by and let you know what a fan I am (and have been for a long time) of your blog. Great writing style, great photos.

15. Wow, amazing! Beetle wings! For awhile I was convinced they were filed and airbrushed fake nails…!

16. MATTAMORPHIS says:

Beautifully Delicate

17. KD says:

Gauze, hair, and feathers? Sounds like a super combination and it is, indeed, spectacular.

18. Pamcasso says:

the colors are fantastic, especially the feathers. Stunning.

19. Rosa says:

Reminds me a lot of Juliette Lewis. I saw her recently playing at a festival and she was wearing this awesome feather shoulders. Afterwards I went to the Killers concert and saw Brandon Flowers wearing the same style! So good!
    xR

20. When I get my first Leicester Sq premier for directing a feature film you are on the red carpet list to strut down with your feather shoulders!

21. CHICMUSE says:

thats just gorgeous. love featheredยฌยฅs
    kisses
    CHICMUSE

22. DJM says:

Those are ACTUAL beetle wings? Ew. I don’t think I could wear that, as beautiful as it looks. Nope, that’s the stuff of nightmares.

23. Maverick says:

I actually really like the feathers. It’s really cool…the colors.
    Susie, if you have time, I’d really like you to see the Balmain inspired DIY jacket I did, it’s right on my blog ๐Ÿ™‚
    lata girly,
    xox, mavi

24. Maverick says:

Hahaha, that was quick! THanks ๐Ÿ™‚
    P.S I meant to say congrats on your 3-pager in Elle! That’s so sweet ๐Ÿ™‚ You’re totally inspirational!
    lates,
    xx.

25. Sinta says:

Beautiful ๐Ÿ™‚

26. Ah I must have missed your Metro shoot! You look fantastic! I’ve been looking forward to going to Urbis this weekend to check out Holly’s exhibition, I’m so glad she won, her designs are amazings, I love the hairy pieces!
    Pearl x

27. LauraKitty says:

These are the most amazing pieces I have seen in a long, long time.

28. dreamy says:

I looove these. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if she had the opportunity to do a capsule collection for topshop or other. I’m sure they’d sell well.

29. ah scary, i’m new to blogging and two out of my five posts have featured feather capes/shoulders haha, i’m obsessed! i think this is a sign i should add you to my blogroll ๐Ÿ™‚

30. Linda says:

Thoses pieces are so gorgeous! Especially the beatles wings ^^

31. JB says:

so AMAZING!!!!! damn.
    -JB

32. Charlie says:

Wow I had no idea they were beetle wings! It looks gorgeous!
    This collection is really pretty, alas it was so sad to see such a blatant Margiela rip off going down the runway. Apart from that one outfit though, the rest was amazing.

33. Hi Susie, I finally got to go see the exhibit today it is amazing! I just did a post on my blog and put in your photo of you modeling the hair dress I hope this is ok, I put in the hyper link to your post.
    I just think you look amazing in that dress, shame you couldnt keep it!
    x
    Pearl

34. After a storm comes a calm.