I Totally Paused

I Totally Paused

Sitting at home watching Masterchef and then Grand Designs, searching on eBay and listening to the new Bat for Lashes track.  Oh awesome awesome joy!  Yes, I am back on the eBay game after restraining myself for a period of time and have put together a whole list of search terms to go through and have a few things on watch.  One though that isn't on watch but made my eBay day is this vintage Alaia plaid jacket and skirt set circa 1986 that so reminds me of Cher a la Clueless circa 1995.  Like, duh?  Isn't the reference like totally obvious?  I totally paused for a second there at the resemblance between the ensemble and the outfit that Cher picked out on her nifty computer programme at the beginning of the film.

Clueless1
Better yet that the suit is by Alaia, the "totally important designer."

Alaiasuit1

Alaiasuit2Alaiasuit3

It's not on my watch because frankly I have a feeling other Cher-freaks out there could benefit from the suit better than I.  Still, if it did fall into my hands and seeing as I'm like totally  NOT Cher at all… my outfit involving the suit would be a leeetle bit different…

…Rodarte-inspired black knitted thigh highs which I've just bought on Etsy (I succumbed but hey over pastel stockings and floral tights I feel a different slant can be achieved…) over Bebaroque bridal sheers, Inside Out trompe l'oeil sweater vest tee (I do recall a Tai outfit involving a Fair Isle sweater vest…), and Pierre Hardy gold trainer boots (have these on watch for no reason seeing as I can't afford them…)…

Clueensemble

…and seeing as I don't a have a sheeny shiny golden mane to shake and run my hands through, I'd rather divert attention away from the tresses with Anthony Vaccarello's headpiece from his new collection…

Antvacheadnew

I'd only wear all of this sporadically of course… hopefully I don't end up looking like a "Monet"…

(Apologies for excessive references to the film…if you haven't seen it I'd heartedly recommend it…)

41 comments

1. KD

2009-01-29 at 2:56 PM

That’s such a funny coincidence, though I have to say I prefer the Alaia one. Those Pierre Hardy shoes are so awesome, and so are your new leggings. 🙂

2. KD

2009-01-29 at 2:58 PM

P.S. in reply to your reply to my comment on the CNY post, its not the kids deserting their roots, its just that the faculty doesn’t acknowledge the holiday at all. Actually, a bunch of Chinese kids in my grade arranged to bring in loads of food and have a party in the cafeteria.

3. tanya

2009-01-29 at 3:13 PM

He does dress better than I do, what would I bring to the relationship?

4. susie_bubble

2009-01-29 at 3:15 PM

Tanya: My exact sentiments with so many fellas…

5. Stylish Thought

2009-01-29 at 3:33 PM

Haha.. you could never be a Monet… you’re a total Betty! Love Clueless and those trainers.

6. Cara

2009-01-29 at 4:51 PM

Oooh, I totally had a red plaid jacket and pleated skirt from The Limited in 4th grade in which I would prance around and pretend to be Cher. I even had white knee socks and loafers. I wouldn’t wear it today, but I think Clueless has managed to stay fashionably relevant over the past decade. I love it!

7. ivoreece

2009-01-29 at 4:56 PM

Hehe that’s so funny. ^^
    I like your pic (the last ones)

8. Cammila

2009-01-29 at 4:59 PM

I do this CONSTANTLY! The insatiable need to create and recreate things that inspired me even years ago…I can’t believe I never even thought of this one!

9. Catheryn

2009-01-29 at 5:02 PM

I have been lusting over those Rodarte tights too. Even though I am a knitter I’m too lazy to make them myself. Think I might just have to order me some once they have some more on Etsy. BEAUTIFUL!

10. kate

2009-01-29 at 5:04 PM

Haven’t seen clueless!! you’d have to be well…er… pretty clueless not to have seen that film.
    God how I lusted over her computerized wardrobe selection-machine thingy!

11. Laia

2009-01-29 at 5:06 PM

Clueless is one of my favoritest movies ever. I saw “I totally paused” and I knew exactly what you were talking about. Ha

12. Helen-LG

2009-01-29 at 5:30 PM

awww I wanna watch Clueless now!
    I’d quite like to see the Susie take on that suit actually.. *ponders*

13. WendyB

2009-01-29 at 5:41 PM

Great eBay find. Those Pierre Hardys remind me of my new-ish Hogan shoes.

14. Anonymous

2009-01-29 at 5:55 PM

ha ha! Blast from the past. Clueless was my sister’s favourite movie when she was 12/13. We watched it hundreds of times and knew all the lines by heart.
    When we look at old photos she dressed exactly like Cher. She’ll love that plaid suit.

15. Drusilla

2009-01-29 at 6:55 PM

Your hair is lovely, so don’t you complain about it, young lady 😉
    I still love the Rodarte tights, and that whole collection really. And the Cher suit is awesome- I’d have bought it myself if it wasn’t for the sad fact that that colour totally washes me out.

16. Angie

2009-01-29 at 6:57 PM

hey susie! lately i too have been having a blast from the past so i was surfing online and i found this site: http://www.modcloth.com/store/.

17. rosa

2009-01-29 at 7:01 PM

these clothes are totally classic!

18. lisa

2009-01-29 at 7:51 PM

I’ve probably re-watched this movie 5 times in the last month in a fit of nineties nostalgia.

19. FlatBrokeFab Ashleigh

2009-01-29 at 8:18 PM

EEK! “I feel like such a heifer, I had two bowls of Special K, 3 pieces of turkey bacon, a handful of popcorn, 5 peanut butter M&M’s and like 3 pieces of licorice!” Worryingly Clueless TOTALLY shaped my childhood – i remember having a tantrum in Asda when i was 12 because my mum wouldnt buy me Vogue.

20. Frankie - Swell Vintage

2009-01-29 at 9:21 PM

Wow, I love the cher suit! Epic x

21. cassie

2009-01-29 at 9:52 PM

i love cher! i loved clueless..now i have to go watch it again haha

22. Tavi

2009-01-29 at 10:15 PM

HELLO, there was a stopsign?

23. Brigadeiro

2009-01-29 at 10:46 PM

Mel: What the hell is that?
    Cher: A dress.
    Mel: Says who?
    Cher: Calvin Klein.

24. material girl

2009-01-29 at 11:17 PM

you know every line in clueless too? i think if i had a “gratuitous clueless reference” tag in my blog it would apply to about 50% of posts.
    i want that suit….

25. farren

2009-01-29 at 11:22 PM

i like totally like loved that movie! haha. but really. that movie is pretty awesome. the sad thing is i only have it on tape from ages ago. i need to get me the dvd of it. cher was pretty awesome.

26. Anonymous

2009-01-29 at 11:33 PM

I watched the film again for the first time in five years about a week ago. Love the post

27. fashion herald

2009-01-30 at 12:52 AM

watching clueless again this weekend, just too many timeless quotes. those pierre hardy boots are torture!

28. Whimsykid

2009-01-30 at 4:45 AM

That movie makes me very happy.
    “Isn’t my house classic? The columns date all the way back to 1972!”
    Gets me every time.
    Though personally, I’m not really a nineties style person.

29. Lizzie

2009-01-30 at 4:58 AM

Lol! This is by far the funniest post. Love that movie but I don’t see the similiarity in the outfit because Cher’s was cut a bit more structured and the find on ebay seem kinda frumpy in my opin.

30. Science of Identity

2009-01-30 at 5:58 AM

Wow! It’s been a long time since I’ve seen something like the Alaia suit. Brings back memories! I don’t think I could pull that off, but I have a friend…

31. The Burlap Smack

2009-01-30 at 6:36 AM

As per the Clueless, i read they styled much of those looks after Paris in the 1960s. This movie perhaps sculpted my entire child hood. Bless You.

32. giancinephile

2009-01-30 at 6:52 AM

They have to fall on your hands! You can give justice to the Alaia and make it less Cher or totally not CHER!!!!

33. kim

2009-01-30 at 8:04 AM

This is fun! I was pretty much obsessed by Clueless when I was 13. Must admit I might still am… last summer I started a project to code my own “wardrobe selection programme”. I’ve put that on hold as it was too much work photographing all my clothes separately, though it would be totally awesome if I could ever finish it.
    I should track down that DVD, I only have an old VCR tape (covered in a custom made pink paper sleeve).

34. jean

2009-01-30 at 5:02 PM

I love Clueless…’Ooh, I wonder if they have that in my size?…’I own it and always watch it when I need cheering up!

35. evie

2009-01-31 at 3:44 PM

I actually first heard about alaia on clueless! it’s an educational movie that one 😀

36. Geno B.

2009-02-01 at 9:18 PM

Okay, so i’ve been following your site for a few months, and I thought that now is the time to comment. This post basically epitomized my life right now! Bat For Lashes is my current jam, and Clueless is my all time favorite movie. Don’t apologize for too many references… there is no such thing as too much Clueless!
    As for your style, it has been really inspiring. Although I am a guy, you have given me lots of ideas with colors and color combinations. Also, I love your silhouettes. Thanks for the constant inspiration!!!

37. susie_bubble

2009-02-01 at 9:31 PM

Geno B…..thanks so much….nothing better than a lotta Bat and Clueless on TV…..!

38. Prêt-à-Porter P

2009-02-02 at 2:30 AM

Clueless!! such a classic!!!!!!!!!!! really!
    i appreciate it so much more since ive re seen it.

39. Adriana Zancanaro (Dri Designer)

2009-02-02 at 5:29 PM

Congratulations by blog.
    The overlap of pieces of clothes and shoes here are very creative and exposed fahion.
    Follow the link in my next blog.

40. Sunset

2009-02-05 at 2:30 AM

I absolutely cannot WAIT to see your take on those tights! 🙂 And I’m reallyyy digging that fair isle sweater.