The Trend Escape

The Trend Escape

It’s very difficult to describe the kind of aesthetic that designers like Annika Berger (for her label Skyward) and Karolina Kling (for her label Kling by Kling), PAM, KTZ and other labels often found in the likes of Super Super magazine promote and design.  It’s not exactly streetwear in the strictest sense of the word.  It’s not club kids gear though it could be if you styled it that way. And that dreaded now-defunct word that should never have existed in the first place ‘nu-rave’…shouldn’t even be associated with these garments.  Rather, I see them as designers who take a blank canvas and imagine mind blowing illustrations on them to the extent that they’re so complex that they then don’t need to think about shapes, cutting and tailoring in the way that more conventional designers to.  They don’t go by trends or evolution of shapes but rather their ideas can be more abstractly interpreted by their prints and drawings, hence why they don’t often come from a traditional fashion degree background.  Hard to jam all that into a nice word but anyway, the fact that Annika and Karolina are friends is not a surprising one as their clothes seem to speak the same language (saying different things of course…).

This undefinable aesthetic is something that I’m always attracted to on a piece-by-piece basis, unable to dress in it head to toe for fear that I look like I’m trying too hard to be a Kokon To Zai employee.  Instead, one piece snuck in like a surprise element is why I am continually on a search to sum up labels like Skyward and Kling by Kling with a suitable word… or if it’s not possible, I’ll have to be the long winded person that I usually am anyway…

Skyward AW/08-9

Skyward1

Skyward2

Skyward3

Kling by Kling S/S 09

Klingklingss091

Klingklingss092

Klingklingss093

20 comments

1. Alicia/InstantVintage

2008-11-12 at 6:43 PM

I’m speechless myself.
    Those photos are amazing. Really.

2. Paloma

2008-11-12 at 6:43 PM

I was late for your links update post. Could you maybe add mine? 🙁

3. Samantha

2008-11-12 at 8:54 PM

Thank you susie for adding me to your blog. You are inspirational!

4. Make Do Style

2008-11-12 at 9:37 PM

I really like the last pic’s dress and the colour of the tights! You were given a mention in my access to contemporary fashion lecture today! Are you ready for Jan’s talk…

5. Belle

2008-11-12 at 9:40 PM

Hi Sussie, this is my first comment but certainly not my first visit.
    The content of your page is SACRED!
    But I have a question, an enigma in my head, how do you afford your fabulous clothes?
    The missing Agathe or Jeannine are masters of thrifting shopping and you girl are the SHOPPER!
    You are a very creative and unique girl.
    Kisses,
    Belle.
    ps: My only critic (I hope that you take it as a constructive one) is the design of your page. I feel certain imbalance between the content of your posts and in the way that Style Bubble looks. Web pages needs some make up too!

6. lisa

2008-11-12 at 10:07 PM

I love the images–so eerily beautiful.
    P.S. Thanks for adding me to your Cool Canadians blogroll!

7. ignoranceisabliss

2008-11-12 at 10:11 PM

I am so distracted by the editorial to pay attention to the clothes 😀 It’s amazinnng.

8. Mike

2008-11-12 at 10:16 PM

kling kling is gorgeoussssss
    that campaign is beautiful.

9. KD

2008-11-12 at 11:16 PM

I really like the shoes in the last photo.

10. Eyeliah

2008-11-12 at 11:29 PM

Stunning photos, some pieces definitely struck me as well.

11. Sunset

2008-11-13 at 12:12 AM

Crazy… they almost don’t even look like real clothes.

12. hold hold

2008-11-13 at 12:29 AM

You’ll be surprised on how the above brands and style are now such a ‘Trend’ in my home country Indonesia. It’s not a ‘Trend escape’ anymore.

13. ...love Maegan

2008-11-13 at 12:48 AM

i love the texture and grittiness.

14. Aimee Marie

2008-11-13 at 10:22 AM

I love that last photo. It’s pretty odd, but mesmerizing! As someone else said, the editorial distracts you from the clothes– but as a photographer myself, I love it! x

15. FashionFancies

2008-11-13 at 11:12 AM

The second photo is fantastic! Some really interesting pieces too, although the set up makes it hard to digest.
    If you ever get a chance check out my blog http://www.fashionfancies.blogspot.com
    thanks x

16. julia

2008-11-13 at 3:53 PM

I think I saw you on the bus this morning…55?

17. giancinephile

2008-11-13 at 6:24 PM

A break from trends is always good. It can really get so sickening especially when trends do get out of control.

18. Grace

2008-11-13 at 8:06 PM

“This undefinable aesthetic is something that I’m always attracted to on a piece-by-piece basis, unable to dress in it head to toe for fear that I look like I’m trying too hard to be a Kokon To Zai employee.”
    same here! though i think their look is very hard to sum up. it is beautiful, but eery as a commenter above said.

19. hek

2008-11-14 at 10:41 PM

That must be the coolest editorial I’ve seen since I can’t even remember when!

20. stufan

2008-12-25 at 8:37 PM

I know manga has long been banished to the realms of sad nerd-dom, but I still have some affection in my heart for it from my twelve year old days, these styles remind me of this one comic called Battle Angel Alita, it was very Beyond the Thunder Dome/ Earth Girls are Easy/ Buckaroo Bonzai, styled…I started out a comic book nerd and grew up to be a fashion nerd.