From fur to face…

From fur to face…

What the f*** was I thinking as 15.15 ticked by and I had missed the Christopher Kane show (and Louise Goldin for that matter…) despite having an invite and promising friends that I’d be going and saying ‘See you there!’ to them…. oh that’s right… I wasn’t thinking… I was zombied out at my desk in the office… doh!

Still, people will gush and rave tomorrow about it and I’ll just look at Catwalking.com with a glum face.  I’m undecided yet about the collection as a whole until I see the stuff in person but for now… I have decided that I’m going to transfer my unhealthy fixation with black goat fur or "monkey fur" as it’s better known, instead to monkey face.  More specifically GORILLA face… how brilliant is this dress?  It’s scary, odd and beautiful, all at the same time.  From afar, the face looks like a seamless print and it just sort of oozes into the dress and the pleated black in a very subtle way.  With the high waisted girly shape and the frou-frou undulating sleeves, fronted by this vicious gorilla face staring back at you, it would just be hilariously perplexing to people.

Kanegor

40 comments

1. LOL, the Christopher Kane didn’t kick off til 3:45pm ish, I arrived there just in time….(stupid tube), as for Louise Goldin they kicked off 20 mins later.

2. Janavi

2008-09-16 at 9:53 PM

I thought his last show was brilliant- but gorilla faces? I don’t know, but that’s all I’ve seen so far, so I also have to reserve judgement. I don’t think that’s a good beginning tho.

3. Allison

2008-09-16 at 10:06 PM

I think the sleeves of this dress look like big, multiple, monkey biceps.

4. WendyB

2008-09-16 at 10:46 PM

Great sleeves.

5. danielle

2008-09-16 at 10:50 PM

whoa. awesome.

6. Make Do & Mend

2008-09-16 at 10:57 PM

Yes perplexing and scary – too hideous for my taste, you always say the right thing are you a libra – such balance and diplomacy. Moi – two left feet.

7. Make Do & Mend

2008-09-16 at 10:57 PM

8. Make Do & Mend

2008-09-16 at 10:57 PM

9. Make Do & Mend

2008-09-16 at 10:57 PM

10. Make Do & Mend

2008-09-16 at 10:57 PM

11. KD

2008-09-16 at 11:13 PM

I’m not crazy about it, but I have to admit, it is pretty cool.

12. Pamcasso

2008-09-16 at 11:14 PM

wow. it is amazing. I like it… I hope someone has the guts to wear it out!

13. Nina

2008-09-16 at 11:27 PM

wow, that’s a really great piece. i’m also digging the shoes.

14. fawn lust

2008-09-17 at 12:09 AM

and amanda laine sure looks thrilled to be wearing it!

15. Laia

2008-09-17 at 12:55 AM

I cannot wait to see this entire collection.

16. enc

2008-09-17 at 1:31 AM

I like the shape of that dress. The shoes are brillo, too.

17. paris

2008-09-17 at 2:05 AM

Oh no!! I can’t believe you missed it, you must have been so disappointed? I was so upset as I really wanted to go to this show but couldn’t get in! I even wore my little Christopher Kane Topshop number! It was absolutely buzzing down there and I hung about for a long long time but no joy!! : (
    like you, I am a little unsure. Perhaps I would have been a little disappointed had I got in as my expectations were very high following the last seasons’ collections. However, he has done a very good job of creating great shapes and keeping it typically ‘London quirky’ yet with those sexy sheer touches on some of the pieces, those I adore.
    We have been given a list of must-read references at uni and your blog was on there!! I thought that might make you smile : )
    paris xx

18. The Clothes Horse

2008-09-17 at 4:11 AM

I’m loving the dress.
    P.S. Also mentally kicking you from across the pond for missing it in person! ^_^

19. Cammila

2008-09-17 at 5:01 AM

The gorilla dress definitely gets my seal of approval. It’s like something a beguiling woman would wear in a Palahniuk novel.

20. SwanDiamondRose

2008-09-17 at 8:37 AM

i really love that dress.

21. a dreamer

2008-09-17 at 9:08 AM

i’m fascinated by the sleeves on this dress. who knew gorilla could look this polished?

22. vintage clothes

2008-09-17 at 9:29 AM

ohhh gosh its scarey and the arms look like the arms off a batman fancy dress costume! oh well i bet the collection is good as a whole!

23. Imelda Matt

2008-09-17 at 10:10 AM

What could have been that important that you missed Christopher Kane? I hope you got to Giles.

24. songy

2008-09-17 at 11:01 AM

LOL It happens. I missed a few shows as well during the local festival as well. Not the end of the world. there are plenty more to see!

25. giancinephile

2008-09-17 at 11:26 AM

Shoes are great but the gorilla is distracting me big time. haha
    Don’t despair about missing the show, there’s always next time! 😉

26. lady coveted

2008-09-17 at 11:30 AM

looks like he got the monkey off his back and it went straight to her chest.
    😉
    i love monkeys.

27. Kate

2008-09-17 at 12:07 PM

The dress has some serious architecture going on. Where can one wear this to, though? I can’t imagine taking it to work or to casual lunch. Even paired with fab totes, it would be hard to wear this outfit in real life.

28. Mer

2008-09-17 at 12:29 PM

lol, it´s really odd, i like it

29. Carl Starling

2008-09-17 at 12:59 PM

😮 I can’t believe you missed the show! Never mind eh?! I didn’t go, but checking out style.com and I’m not sure I like it (I’m a massive fan of the Kanes). I’m going to let it sink in a bit before I give my opinion, but I don’t really get his ‘prehistoric’ influences. The prints are amazing…but the circles ALL over the place are making me feel queasy.

30. anon

2008-09-17 at 1:18 PM

I’d be really angry too if i missed the show. I’m actually angry for you. On another note, the sleeves are awesome!

31. Janavi

2008-09-17 at 1:32 PM

I think if you take away the monkeys, and most of the marabou, it’s a good collection, and I guess the monkeys will get attention.

32. Natty

2008-09-17 at 2:39 PM

Im not a fan at all. I think it is scary!

33. susie_bubble

2008-09-17 at 6:21 PM

Exactly what I thought…a very mixed reaction and mine is too…the excessive circling wasn’t my cup of tea but some elements were SO well done…. the shoes for instance….
    Gianco: Didn’t make it to Marios…. again, a half and half show for me….
    Imelda: As IF I could get into Giles…. invites are limited even for Dazed peeps! They’re like gold dust!

34. fashionherald

2008-09-17 at 8:41 PM

gold dust, haha! I think the gorilla is beautiful and haunting – I like the nod to the our animal world.

35. Flatbrokefab Ashleigh

2008-09-17 at 9:27 PM

You didnt go?! Oh no!!! God you don’t even need to tell me how amazing that dress is, it’s one of those dresses you’d just want to wear EVERYWHERE!!!! I LOVE it! I LOVE Kane!! I’m trying not to be an obsessive but as soon as i saw this collection i decided to back track through his last 5 collections…and as i got to his very first show i just got SO excited. I remember being at college and dying to show EVERYONE in my textiles class and we spent an entire lesson looking at the show photos…oh…those were the days!
    FBF
    X

36. Shen-Shen

2008-09-18 at 12:52 AM

Oddly, I’m finding this a bit alluring..

37. Helen-LG

2008-09-19 at 6:32 PM

…. Like Susie at Style Bubble I‚Äôm also fairly taken with Christopher Kane‚Äôs Gorilla and Monkey prints ….
    Great minds think alike! 🙂

38. Kallah Maguire

2008-09-20 at 1:49 AM

I love the gorilla dress, if I were to buy it, I would make it sleeveless… I’m just not into the “multiple gorilla bicep’s” look of the arms! I think I would like to wear it with bright aqua blue shoes and jewelry of some sort… Hm, or cowboy boots.
    I really enjoy the way all the circles of fabric move when the models walk, it gives a feeling of seeing into the dress, like when you walk by a slatted fence quickly, it’s very sensual. I’m a fan, I think its a fabulous collection.
    ~Kallah Maguire
    Chic Shopping Los Angeles

39. MizzJ

2008-09-26 at 8:34 AM

I agree, get rid of the sleeves and you have a very interesting piece. The contrast of prim pleats with such a ferocious face is very cool.

40. Nicole

2008-10-02 at 8:28 PM

I Jesus, Im so sad for you, that you missed it, I pretty much think hes the one leading the trends, as of late.