Whatiworetoday finding out that such a fashion web 2.0 specific book was being published via Bits and Bobbins and reading the VERY stimulating comments that ensued because of her post, I literally got on the phone to the publishers and requested a review copy pronto.  So we have a book called ‘What I wore today…’, the premise of a lot of fashion blogs that we all read and view with.  The book isn’t written by any particular author but by Korero the publisher.  I’m not entirely sure who gets a mention in the book tough I’m expecting the likes of Style Bytes (*sigh*…), Wardrobe Remix, The Fashion Spot WAYWT (‘What are you wearing today?’ ah…I miss that thread….), Fashion Toast etc…. I don’t THINK Style Bubble is in it as I never got any email asking for permission which is usually the norm with these things but then again the blog is not really of the ‘What I wore today…’ ilk either so I doubt I’ve made an appearance in it.  It’s the tagline ‘Online Fashion Narcissism’ which has sparked all the interesting controversy.  As Tricia of Bits and Bobbins said, she’s not entirely sure whether the publisher has used the word to shed a negative light on people sharing their outfits with the world via forums, Flickr, blogs etc but she asks a ton of questions relating to the topic of ‘narcissism’ on the web.

I have to be honest…. I do find blogs that purely consist of outfit posts with no accompanying text or perspective on things a little dull… whilst I’m all for pretty pictures, I like engaging with text too.  People say that I blather on and am rather long winded here on this blog but I’m a thought expounder.  It’s very rare that I post images up with no contextual background or explanation.  Yet I do feel the need to defend those of us that are posting images of ourselves.  I’m not even seeing narcissism as a negative thing because that is someone who takes pleasure in looking at images of themselves as opposed to people who take pleasure in having other people look at them.  I am concerned though that such taglines as in the case of this book, expound the idea that bloggers or WAYWT participants are doing it because they are keen to get their style out and say to the world ‘Hey, my style is so amazing…check me out and send me praise because hip-hooray I’m so effing cool!’.

That couldn’t be farther from the truth.  At least in my case…  It’s true that for a lot of people, there’s a confidence level in their own style that propels them to post pictures of themselves, be it conscious or sub-conscious.  However, in my own case, sometimes, after the pics are up, I realise I’m getting ‘it’ (whatever that means…) completely wrong or things look godawful, yet I leave them up there.  I’m not aiming to put the best of me out there or representing my style in the most positive light possible purely because that would be impossible and because I like things that are a work in progress.  It’s the documentation of a moment that is part of a progression or a thought process I was going through.  The crux of it is that posting pictures of myself is an easy way of communicating the thought process behind the style decisions I take and with that comes an explanation, a description and something to back up the images.  I think it’s all too simple to write off people taking pictures of themselves as people just looking for a bit of praise and I don’t doubt that there are those that seek that sort of gratification but for me those pics communicate not an just an image of myself, but an idea, something to do with the outfit backed up by the text (sometimes I suspect people don’t actually read what I write but anyhow….), hence why I did faceless shots for such a long time and even now, the only reason you see my face is because the mirror that I use to take shots in gets dusty and sometimes the light just isn’t that great for my poxy crappy camera…

Still, I’m not going to dismiss this book as lazy journalism yet without reading the content.  If it turns out to insinuate what the tagline indicates then it’s going up there in the banal chart of blog cliches along with that pesky question which I get asked most often…’Are blogs going to replace magazines?’…the less said about that one, the better…

1. kathrin says:

interesting post! i personally have to agree with you. just having photos and no copy with it.. totally dull, that includes photos of outfits people have worn or other fashion topics. i have not yet had the “guts” to post any photos of myself.. but i am a newbie and i think i need to get over myself and just do it. but you are right you need to be confident in what you wear, your styling and dont give a hoot about what people think of your or your outfit. i find it totally inspiring seeing other peoples outfits.
    in terms of the book.. just wait and see, you never know, you might be mentioned after all?
    kx

2. I agree! I think it’s great to see pictures of real people’s thought processes in putting together their style. It’s interesting and it helps me think about what I wear (and what I need to buy!). I don’t think most people are being narcissistic; I think they are engaging in a conversation about fashion and style.

3. ibelieveinunicorns says:

I’ve actually been contacted by the author, via wardrobe remix, to be in this book. I agreed, because at that time she stated that it was going to be about the way women really dress. So when I found out about this, I was really quite pissed and send her an email asking about it.
    In her reply she said that their distributor had put that tagline on the book and that she herself was quite frustrated about the use of the word narcissim and the subtitle is going to be changed as soon as possible.

4. Anonymous says:

its a bit like taking a crap and turning to examine what you have wrought…

5. selina says:

i hope people have been asked for permission! i think it’s a bit strange as there are lots of street style inspiration books but having one with, judging by the cover, random pictures that aren’t amazing quality when you could just click online and find some for free? i hope there is accompanying text as you’re right, outfits need explaining. i don’t like the cover font or the picture, there are way better self portraits out there and i think it’s deliberately meant to look amateur, but in a negative way.
    i’m surprised we didn’t see this coming! i think the people who are in it should get the profits rather than the publishers as putting a book together of all the lovely outfits out there must have cost nothing.
    looking forward to the review!

6. Anonymous says:

I post “what I’m wearing” shots on my blog. Sometimes I have a story, other times I’m just excited by a recent vintage find and want to share.
    Of course it feels good to have a reader say “yeah, that is an awesome find!” Everyone likes to be complimented, reaffirm what you think about something you love. It is okay!
    I do have to say that I can how it can be perceived as narcissism. You can spin all you want, but if a person puts that much thought into a blog, there is no way they can say they casually put an outfit together.
    For example, wearing a bra outside clothing is intentional, and it is asking for attention, negative or positive. It isn’t something done/worn in normal society, it is titillating and pushes the envelope.
    Just because someone puts a history lesson next to a photograph doesn’t instantly make it art or any better than someone who just posts a picture of a coat they love.
    I think the publishers used a poor choice of wording, but acting oblivious to any attention can be perceived as ignorant as well.

7. JessJess says:

This is a great post. This subject is really hot at the moment. I saw on BBCNews 24 the other day a guy with a theory that Web 2.0 is really distructive to our society because we’ve all become egomaniacs and think our amateur opinions are so important. I think that is the case with some blogs, but others are very enriching such as StyleBubble (I would probably value your expert opinion over a lot of magazines) and Sartorialist etc. and have revolutionised the way fashion is looked at and reported.
    xx

8. DJM says:

I sort of agree and sort of don’t. I too find blogs that just have photo’s of the authors outfits, with no real reason why are doing it, a bit dull and I suppose in some instances that could be construed as narcissistic.
    The WAYWT thread on the Fashion Spot seemed harmlessly self indulgent. People didn’t really discuss style very often. And lets be honest, to participate in it a person must be confident that they are worth looking at. Is that a bad thing though? I don’t think so. It’s a bit of fun and it probably boosted the confidence of many participants.
    My own outfit posts are usually there to show my own fashion journey and my attempts at certain looks I’m into. Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s shit. I look back and cringe at the vast majority of them right enough, but that’s how I dress and I make no apologies.
    I also stopped the camera-in-face images because it basically looks dreadful and the aesthetics of my blog was being compromised. I want to have a decent looking site (as much as I can with Typepad) and that extends to the quality of my own shots.
    At the end of the day it’s harmless isn’t it? And I like to see real people rocking great clothes. If that’s narcissism then so be it.

9. Laia says:

This is an interesting topic and I think on more than one occasion I have thought “man this seems awfully narcissistic” when coming across blogs that are solely outfit pictures, with little explanation to go with it. (Though this doesn’t apply to street style blogs, because I think there is a difference in getting dressed to take pictures to show the world and getting dressed for yourself and having someone else think that you look great). When I come across a personal blog, I want to know why people are doing what they are doing, what they are thinking, where they are getting their inspiration. It creates a conversation and opens the door for more possibilities. Telling me “chanel top, dior skirt, burberry shoes” does absolutely nothing for me. I know that I have taken pictures of outfits and when I am posting them, I find myself with nothing to say about them so I just delete them. Maybe I’m too self conscious? haha.
    A certain level of narcissism is ok, and I think we all have it enough that we are out there posting our little brains out because we want people to hear what we have to say so maybe we are all guilty of that.

10. Anonymous says:

Blogs replacing magazines? No I know I’ve heard something like that before… (Print is dead?)

11. Laia says:

oh and Print will never die!!!

Woah woah…hold up there… I’m not saying I’m creating art just because I’ve added text…. !
    Art…jeez…. that would indeed be arrogance! All I’m saying is that I’m personally not really into seeing a string of pics without any contextual background or consequence. I don’t object to them as a concept…just not for me that’s all…. that said, there aren’t that many blogs that do that anymore as fash blogs have involved in such a way…. I do think there are blogs that post pics solely to illicit positive feedback. Again, I’ve got nothing against that… but it’s not my personal style.
    There is nothing wrong with posting a pic of a coat you bought, or singular outfits…. hell, there are no rules when posting about anything…a blog is a personal space afterall….
    Of course I like positive feedback, in truth, who doesn’t?
    But if I’m really honest, I would like to instigate discussions that are more outfit-focused and style-based as opposed to comments like ‘You’ve lost weight, you’ve gained weight, you’re ugly, you’re pretty….’ – hence faceless posts would suit me more even though they are as DJM said, a lot uglier….(though some people would say that my face is one big mess and would much rather see me cover it up but that’s another discussion….). That’s what I’m trying to get at when I’m a little indignant at the term ‘narcissism’ because that implies that bloggers/outfit posters have nothing else to say lest a pretty picture of themselves and that they’re just out to say ‘Look at me, look at how great I am…’ which is JUST not true! If that was what someone thought of this blog or any of the blogs that I read and love, then I’d shut Style Bubble down in an instant…..
    But if this book has indeed cast a negative light over the wave of bloggers, outfit-posters, fashion communities etc…. what I’ve described above does add ammunition to their argument, that people post not for any reason other than to illicit praise. That said, as someone has pointed out, it doesn’t seem like they’ve done that and that they have celebrated the people who share their outfits with the world etc…. though what Selina said does make sense too… whoever is in that book should surely get some monetary value out of it… we shall see how it’s laid out though to determine that end of things.

13. Hayley says:

My sister is in this book, she got asked to be in it and had to sign a release. The thing is her photo actually isn’t what she would normally wear, it was a shot I took of her wearing an outfit I styled. I was a little annoyed actually because its now my sister who gets all the credit and not me, but when I tried to tell me sister how I felt she just screamed at me that I was being unfair and that I was jealous. Anyway I’m kinda happy now because of that tagline ‘Online Fashion Narcissism’ that I’m not mentioned.

14. hi,
    yes, i do think that posting pictures of one’s outfits is partly narcissistic, but what else is the internet for? most social networking, blogging, bookmarking sites are somewhat narcissistic in nature (this is me, these are my interests, this is what i do, this is what i wear, etc etc). but they are also ways to build an identity. people want to see themselves reflected back in order to determine who they are and to communicate that to others.
    in regards to wardrobe remix and other clothing specific sites Рpart of my motivation for posting is to record my life. since clothes are an important outlet for expression for me Рi like to have a record of what i am wearing Рsort of like a visual diary. it’s fun to look back at it and see Р“oh that’s what i was into that day…” it reminds you of your past and what was going on in your life at the time.
    just like any form of expression, clothing and style are more interesting when shared. i think that is the appeal of posting these pictures for others to see. we gather new ideas and inspiration from it. really, what is the difference between this and walking outside on a busy city street? style sites like this simply widen the number of people who see you and open the lines for a dialogue that can rarely happen in the fractured real world.
    – anna

15. Bren says:

But surely repeatedly posting photos on blogs, posing and doing pretty photoshop backgrounds is purely narcissitic, I mean, if you weren’t getting praised, I bet no one would do it right? I also get the feeling that many bloggers are not just sharing but subtly trying to be style icons, they genuinely believe they can start trends, get hook ups and work. This imo is when its stops being fun and is getting a bit too contrived.

16. Anonymous says:

actually, I always tought that what makes your blog looks a bit silly is all that auto exposure , kind of fashion victim. but because of the amazing ammount of information, fresh discoveries, and a brilliant personal opinion and bright comments over everything you have my respect and admiration. I still think all that teenager blog attitude spoils a bit the blog prestige , but at the same time makes it more interesting, unedited and authentic.

17. craving for inspiration says:

I personally think it is very generous and sharing of you to post pictures of your style. Since most of the bloggers a) cannot make their whole wardrobe themselves (time, knowledge whatever) they have to mix b) cannot pay a model and a photographer to show their vision c) mostly actually are their biggest client, so who else to use, except for yourself ? I look at this pictures, because I find them inspiring. I use them for ideas for my craft projects. I think it is cool. I am happy that people can share their vision and I can look and maybe if I think I want to share, participate. Everybody can be artist or artisan, power to the people or so.

18. Kelly says:

Wow, there are obviously a lot of opinions from this post. I actually disagree about blogs replacing magazines. Print is classic. Even if people were enjoy looking at fashion pieces online. There are always those like me who, although I’m constantly on the internet and blogspot, look forward to receiving a magazine in the mail and being just in awe over the editorials, styling, fashion…..you get the point all the elements. Plus many people love to collect their magazine to go back and look at them over and over again. Or maybe I’m just a naive newcomer, but I’m rooting for magazines. And I’m all for writing longer text on my blog. Great Post.

Bren: I did say though that I have nothing against narcissism…. what it STRICTLY means anyway is that you like looking at images of yourself, NOT in fact having other people look at you so that’s a whole technical minefield in itself. What I’m objecting to is having people who are posting pictures of themselves SWEPT up into one big category of people who love nothing more than peering at themselves and gauging positive reactions from other people. Yes, there is that element which is part and parcel of people commenting on a blog but I don’t feel like that is my motivation…. I genuinely enjoy messing around with the images I take etc…. I’d do it if I didn’t have a blog. In fact, my old digi scrapbooks pre-blogging times are testament to that…. I was posting outfits on the blog when I had zero readers not for any particular gain but because it was an element of the whole ‘Style Bubble’ perspective. How can I post about my own fashion experiences purely with text especially when I’m not that eloquent with prose and in fact makes the blog look aesthetically dull? I’ve considered shutting down comments purely because sometimes comments do descend into complete disarray and alas, i also don’t have the time to respond to everyone. I’ve had plenty of negative criticism here and that hasn’t really stopped me from posting pics of myself. Bren, would you be implying that I’m one of those bloggers trying to be a style icon? Because I’d go back and read ye olde Style Bubble posts…. it might be perceived like that simplly because a lot of bloggers are getting tagged with lazy terms such as ‘internet style icon’ (another pet peeve…..). I don’t believe I can start trends and as for hook ups and work, that was never my intention and if it has happened that way, it was never planned like that….
    I’m getting exhausted from having to constantly defend myself here and answer to people…
    Anon: What exactly is blog prestige? I never set out to be a fountain of information but I just wanted to post things that interest me, that intrigue me, that are relevant to me and unfortunately that does include outfit posts. If I only posted about things that were completely UN-related to me, I might as well go work for a corporate fashion site and write there. I am doing this for free so I don’t feel like i could omit those personal style posts simply because they are from my ‘Style Bubble’. It sounds very cliched but the name does actually bear some relevance to what I post about….
    Style Bubble was always a bit of a selfish thing….. a lot of blogs are selfish endeavours. Now I feel like I owe people something and need to mould to people’s expectations which is pretty depressing….
    I feel like what I’m defending in the post is fast turning into a ‘You are a narcissistic twat….’ Okies then… so be it….

20. Thom Wong says:

Just one voice Susie – ignore it.

21. lady coveted says:

ah, yes, i saw that post yesterday too, and it’s been milling in my head for the past day or so what to make of it… the idea of narcissism.
    i don’t think it’s fair to call it narcissism, but i don’t think it is. since we started putting up pictures of ourselves and generating our own content, we’ve gotten a more personal authentic voice on the internet. we’ve become more than a username and a random emoticon.
    it’s interesting because before, there was a ‘here we are now, entertain us’ one way media, now it’s a ‘here i am to entertain you’ conversation. it’s a complete power shift, unpredictable, and it can grow in any direction, who knows?
    i think these people realize this, and probably feel threatened.

22. Gaea says:

I think the term ‘narcissism” is completely misplaced here, like Susie said, narcissism is about being captivated by your own image, it is a completely individual state. Fashion blogging on the other hand, including sharing pictures of your outfits, is about being in the world, taking your inspiration from it and sharing the result of your experiments/ideas with an audience that WANTS to see these results, so it;s more like a dialogue between you and the world than a “look at meee” one-way thing.

23. rollergirl says:

Oh I need to get this book! To add to the debate, I think the interesting thing about posting words OR pics on a public blog is that they generate discussion and can take ideas further. I’m not an outfit-poster but I do get styling ideas from other peoples’ outfits. Likewise with general fashion musings, we feed off each others’ opinions and ideas which helps us develop our own. (Well that’s how it is for me.) Susie, please don’t take the opposing opinions as personal attacks requiring a defence on your part. There are always going to be people who disagree with you but it keeps things interesting. Please don’t disable the comments! On the other hand, if they upset you… 🙁

24. I dont think that there is anything narcissistic about ‘what i’m wearing’ shots…true, i have only done it once (or twice including the one without my face) but i would like to, i just find it really hard to get full length pics…besides, its only synical people who drone on and on about what other people do in a negative manner. I want to see what people are wearing, it can be interesting and inspiration. If i didnt want to see it, i would read blogs, search style sites or read magazines. I hate negativity, and i hope the book doesn’t try to reflect us bloggers as people who are in love with our own images, instead of people who are just wanting to share our views on style in a positive way…
    x

25. Whoops, typos in the heat of the moment…*i ‘WOULDN’T’ read blogs etc…
    x
    FBF

I know I know, I’m getting a little antsy…. I do like a healthy discussion….but I was just wary that this would turn into a discussion the misgivings on this blog (I know there are many….) when really I wanted to highlight the way fashion blogging can be perceived and defend it with all my might….
    It’s the nerves getting to me…. might have something to do with this odd Sao Paulo trip which I’ve been invited to go to… will reveal more later….

27. I know I am weighing in late here…
    I had seen this book mentioned before, but not until I read your post did I put it all together. I was asked to contribute some of my photos to this book of What People Really Wear, and signed the forms and happily sent them off. I am a little miffed that they will be used attached to this tag line, only because there wasn’t full disclosure when they sought my approval. But in the end I’m okay with it. Part of why I post my outfits to my blog is to glean differing opinions from others interested in fashion. It’s one thing to ask your other half, “Does my bum look big in this?” and entirely another to post them an open yourself up to subjective commenting. And frankly, if that’s narcissism, I’m okay with that. One of the benefits of being a fashion blogger with a little age behind me is being self-assured. And people can take what they want from that, be it inspirational or narcissistic.

28. Daphne says:

Graffito also asked permission to use two of my Wardrobe Remix photos for this book, and I gave them permission. At the time, I was told that the book would be about how real women dress. I’m not so bothered by the tag line…part of the reason I participate in W_R is for narcissism, I suppose….

29. Personal style blogs, can get a bit redundant if you scroll through them because the person can tend to have a singular look, so all their looks are the same. I personally, wouldn’t post my pics up because I’d much rather focus on other things in the fashion world and feel awkward posting an outfit up for the look at my cute outfit factor (though I probably will go it sparingly). But that doesn’t mean I don’t love looking at those style blogs, street and personal. It gives me inspiration for my own outfits, but nothing beyond that. It doesn’t spark a deeper discussion within me and make me think harder. If I had to choose, it’d the the latter.

30. Eli says:

So should those of us who werent asked to participate be flattered then? (considering the tag line?)
    but perhaps we are taking the term narcissim a little too seriously…but then again, we really wont know until we read the whole book and see for ourselves!
    I tend to think that most bloggers are quite humble and shy about their outfits, most dont even disclose that they have a blog at first to people around them!

31. Lady Smaggle says:

I couldn’t agree more. I put up pictures of myself and think ‘What the hell was I thinking?’ and I also do it because it’s fun to look back and see how my style has evolved. I’m quite keen to read the book actually. I’m curious as to what an outsiders opinion would be. All of my friends know that I have a blog and at first they thought it was really weird and didn’t understand why I would put pictures of myself up. They caught on pretty quickly and they now they love it. I think it’s a pretty new thing that people have to get used to. I admit I thought it was a little concieted when I first started reading fashion blogs but it took me mere seconds to realise that most fashion bloggers are about sharing ideas, passions and advice and not at all about posting pictures of themselves for kicks. Oh by the way did you get my email about the stocking necklace my dear? I’m super happy to make you one if you want!

32. This is a very interesting topic.
    I don’t have a fashion blog, and I have been debating whether to start one. I have only recently been looking at them, and it has been quite fun.
    Some of them I love and some of them I pass over.
    What I really like to see is a mix of things. I absolutely love to see what people wear, and how they put things together, where they find their goods and what the inspiration may be.
    I also like to see a visually beautiful or interesting page. I like to read what others think of designers, and other ideas on aesthetics.
    The blog is not necessarily an art form, yet it is a form of expression, and that is important in this world. The internet is a very cool venue, and it can open doors and reach a lot of people. It can invite a lot in terms of praise and in criticism. When you put yourself out there, you are opening yourself up in some way. It is a cool thing to share what you love, and whether it is received is not important. Do what you love and love what you do.
    Language is a very powerful medium. and words can be like a loaded gun.
    To some degree, everyone possesses a little narcissism. We all have an ego, and the ego is not bad, it is part of the grand scheme of things. Hopefully at some point we all surpass the ego, but that is a totally different topic all together.
    Fashion is fun. Fashion blogging is a way to share ideas, and inspire others to express themselves through their clothes.

33. SRR says:

Personal blogs are, by definition, based on the author him/herself. If the definition of “narcissism” is writing about or taking pictures of oneself, then I guess all of us bloggers are incurable narcissists. To me, narcissism is more about self-aggrandization. I doubt that most bloggers take pictures of their outfits for this purpose. I do this all the time, but I do so in conjunction with the topic I wrote about for the day. It’s just fun; I don’t really have another explanation for it.
    As a matter of personal reference, I also enjoy pictures with accompanying words/explanations. There are certain blogs where the pictures themselves speak a thousand words (like the Sartorialist, where excessive wording would actually ruin the purpose), but most of the time I enjoy reading the story behind the outfit or the person. There’s nothing wrong with pictures alone, as many of them are very artistic, but I feel it’s more meaningful to learn something more than what the brands of the clothing/accessories are.

34. Drusilla says:

There’s another thing that a lot of people forget: fashion is a highly visual medium, so it’s not surprising to see people connecting more to blogs that focus more on outfit posts. I’ve always been a wordy girl, and I tend to enjoy blogs more when there’s a text-to-pictures proportion that’s slightly higher than just describing where the clothes came from. (though at least with a personal style blog, there’s an element of involvement that’s greater than in all those ‘buy this’, or ‘I wish I had this, it’s cute’ blogs that are all over the place. But as for narcissism, I have only this much to say- it could easily be that….though I do wonder how much of this tag is just something being slapped on bloggers because people in more established corners of the industry feel threatened/disconcerted that a girl with a few clothes and a camera could adapt them to produce a great image of herself, sometimes better-executed than what the pros do!
    At the end of it all, the intention behind the sharing of your outfits is your own. And I do think readers aren’t dumb- they can suss out what you’re trying to do, and read (or not) accordingly. But blanket-slapping all personal style blogs as narcissistic is a bit…silly, I must say.

35. T says:

I personally think the subtitle of the book is perfect.
    I’ve actually stopped reading certain blogs because I feel overwhelmed by the author’s narcissism. Posting pictures of your outfit is one thing; trying to “be discovered” because of your super-hipster-chic poses (barf) is just plain obnoxious.
    Obviously I’ve never seen a blog that has stated that as its intention, but you know 85% of these girls are living their model fantasies through those pictures.

36. T says:

Aaaaaand after browsing through this blog for five minutes, I can see you know exactly what I mean.
    I can understand wanting to share your interpretation on a certain trend, an awesome find, or a fashion experiment.
    I can also understand changing the background of your picture to be cute and/or complementary to your outfit.
    What I do NOT understand is the bizarre poses. Are you trying to imitate high-fashion magazines? Is it tongue-in-cheek? Are you hoping Tyra is reading?
    I promise I’m not trying to be rude or hurtful, I just don’t see how you can read such style blogs as being anything BUT narcissistic. Again, not that that’s necessarily a bad thing – but if the shoe fits…. well, you know.

37. Kat says:

I’ve also been contacted by the publisher to take part in this book, and I must say I’m glad to read ibelieveinunicorns’ comment that they are changing the subtitle, as while I am usually pleased with the outfits I post on Wardrobe_Remix, I think part of it is just a bit of encouragement. I admire your style Susie, but for those of us who don’t live in the capital and don’t have particularly ‘fashiony’ friends, getting laughed at for wearing certain outfits is a bit wearing. The W_Rers are all a supportive bunch, and many a post in the pool has inspired an outfit I might not have otherwise thought of. If the book is what I was lead to believe – a celebration of ‘street style’ and independent (independent not ‘indie’, we know that word has lost all meaning) dressers – then I am pleased to be part of it.

38. Sandra says:

The title does sound derogatory. And I totally agree with you Susie that just an image get a bit boring. I’d rather people watch in person.
    But I must say, I was in the “I don’t want people to know what I look like” camp — I never posted images of myself let alone what I was wearing. But reading your blog and Jennine’s blog have inspired me to share some of my style moments with the fashion blogosphere. Not because I think my style is over the top amazing, but because it keeps me true and motivated to stay stylish and not bum around in jeans and a tshirt, which I was doing for a while.
    Posting images is becoming my style motivator to try to look my best most of the time. And I’ve received nothing but positive responses so far. I’ll probably be crushed when someone says I looke ugly or fat or whatever trolls say…

39. Theresa says:

I’ve only started following fashion blogs recently (this is the first comment I’ve ever posted on Style Bubble) and although I’m not a great participator and don’t really post ‘outfit’ or ‘look’ pics on my blog, I take absolute pleasure and get totally inspired by checking out other people’s styles and interpretations of fashion.
    This book is an outside and (by the nature of been a static, slow moving medium compared to the internet) out of context window into this little sub culture, it’ll never be able to illustrate the stories, conversations and passion behind the outfits to full justice.
    It’ll be a bit sad – like fabulous dresses all dead and dusty in a museum.
    Everyone has their own personal reasons for blogging and sharing their lives online. Be it pure narcissism, self promotion or just a desire to talk and share with like minded people – whatever – but don’t take it to seriously and don’t start feeling guilty about it, because it’s about self confidence and taking pride in your own work / styling.
    I used this nifty Wordle app. to build a tag cloud about this post – it’s just like the book really. A bunch of words that could mean anything: http://wordle.net/gallery/wrdl/65208/Style_Bubble_post_-_What_did_YOU_wear_today%3F_
    It’s all about the context that you, the reader, puts them in.

40. Sonia Luna says:

This is a great discussion! I’m a bit late in jumping in, coincidentally because I was busy taking pictures of myself to post on my blog!
    I think the publishers were misguided in choosing the title for the book, hopefully they will change it, the word narcissistic has such negative connotations! Personally I sometimes feel self-indulgent when I take pics of my outfits [strangely I’ve never thought the same about you Susie, or any of the other bloggers that regularly posts their outfits online], but it is so much fun that I get over the feeling quite fast, am I narcissistic in posting my pictures? Yes,maybe a little!I post picture of myself looking at what I think is my best and you certainly won’t see my pijama days documented any time soon!Also I like to receive complimentary comments and I’m overjoyed when I do, who wouldn’t? But I think that if my motivation for blogging was simply a selfish one, a “Look how cool I am” one, then I wouldn’t bother commenting on other people posts or genuinely compliment them on Wardrobe Remix or their blogs. I personally enjoy seeing real people of all shape, sizes and tastes showing off their style and if their pics are accompanied by intelligent prose like in your posts even better!

41. Gloria says:

I agree on the ‘just outfit’ blogs to be a little dull…however these blogs tend to do better than most blogs because people are often a bit impatient when it comes to fashion.
    I try to make my posts as informative as possible on the journey to the outfit, and not just the end outfit…but the length is really a problem sometimes since people just don’t like to take time to read long things since they think a blog’s nature is like “snap snap snap” and instant fashion.

42. Jael says:

I don’t post pictures of myself because of my job. When I need to illustrate a point, I try to find it online or I crop my head out of the picture. Ugly, but that’s what I have to do for work.
    Ironically, becca asked me to blog with her in part because I was sending pictures of outfits to friends. In part, it was to have discussion about being experimental. The primary reason though was that they were all going through a crappy time in school and I wanted to distract them.
    T, silly poses are generally just to add any sort of visual variety. Standing the same in every picture becomes dull.

43. a dreamer says:

ahh, susie, i enjoy your rants and i do read what you have to say. its an insight into your mind. i don’t mind the people that post pics of themselves without much text. a picture does speak a thousand words. ughh.. i cant believe i said that.

44. Anonymous says:

hello.
    i just want to say as an old fan of your what would you wear today posts on tfs, i’m glad you started your own blog, as i was always charmed by your outfits – ultimately reflecting the personality of you, the wearer. i think the writing and photos go hand in hand, as you speak the way you dress- with a healthy does of absurdity, optimism and self-awareness that keeps it from feeling to stuffy. in short, your blog is aspirational in a good way. keep doing your thing.

45. Good saying.
    Jacco Fashion* Online Clothing Store : Ladies & Gentlemen : Retail & Wholesale

46. Nealtattamb says:

Hello everyone
    This is my first post here and i must say… u have great comunity here.
    I am webmaster of Global Warming Blog.
    And i am very interested in global warming and environment issues [URL=”http://www.220kg.com/blogs/Globalwarming”] 🙁 [/url]
    I hope i will find here some interested sugestions and critique how to improve our mind about this global warming problems.

47. glormaeragO says:

100% Anonymous web proxy that?s work through and encrypted connection
    & support secure sites. Bypass your school / work firewall and access MySpace, FaceBook, YouTube,
    Bebo, Ebay, Hotmail, or what ever you want.
    http://proxy.fucking4utoo.com is a web page which allows you to browse your favorite web sites,
    even though your access to those web sites might be blocked by a content filter.
    If you find that you are blocked from your favorite websites, use http://proxy.fucking4utoo.com