Say ‘No’ to Dilation Tests

Say ‘No’ to Dilation Tests

Viktor Rolf for Shu Uemura paper clip eyelashes public wearing dashed.  Why?  Pesky opticians failed to tell me that after a dilation test, my vision would be so blurry that I’d need my boyf to help me home, wear sunglasses for the next six hours because light made my head go all woozy and basically start seeing wonky shapes everywhere.  So in the end, I missed out on the private view evening of the Viktor & Rolf exhibition at the Barbican.  Still, like blurry vision was going to stop me playing around with my vintage puffball dress which I won on eBay for pennies and haven’t really done much with it.  Not sure if ‘giant scrunchie’ was on my mind but that was sort of what I was aiming for.  Treading on the ‘What ifs’ isn’t usually healthy but here’s the ‘If I had gone out last night if I was temporarily blinded by my optician…’ outfit.  Now there’s a scenario I hope not to repeat…

Vrbarbout

31 comments

1. WendyB

2008-06-18 at 2:38 PM

Aw! I love those lashes. Well, you’ll just have to wear them for grocery shopping and other errands instead. BTW, a friend of mine owns an art gallery and she has some artwork that Viktor & Rolf did before they went into fashion.

2. Ivy

2008-06-18 at 2:56 PM

Ah, but ‘what if’ you went out last night and got hit by a bus?! OR, ‘what if’ you got mugged by some punk for your puffball dress? Hehe. Maybe your blindness saved you 🙂

3. Rowena

2008-06-18 at 3:34 PM

‘No’ to dilation tests…’YES’ to giant scrunchy dress!

4. raq

2008-06-18 at 3:45 PM

oh dear please take care of yourself! that outfit is wondrous as all your outfits have been (: i had attempted to create something like before but sadly i can’t find it now…

5. kirsty lee

2008-06-18 at 4:10 PM

oh no, how annoying!
    still, the scrunchie dress is fantastic. there’s always the viva cake viktor&rolf party tomorrow isn’t there?
    can’t wait to check out the exhibition.

6. pindungo

2008-06-18 at 4:11 PM

Oh…pantyhoses…sheer light blue…

7. KD

2008-06-18 at 4:12 PM

It’s OK Susie, the dress looks amazing at any rate and at least us readers got to see the lashes!

8. enc

2008-06-18 at 4:54 PM

I’m sorry to hear about the dilation test. I hate those, they’re awful!
    Even more distressing is that you missed the V&R.
    But the giant scrunchie is great! It looks really wonderful.

9. Sarah

2008-06-18 at 5:23 PM

The giant scrunchie dress is very cool, its a shame you didn’t get to wear it out.
    Hope you eyes are better now.

10. Likky

2008-06-18 at 5:24 PM

Sorry to hear that you missed out on the V&R exhibit, but I’m sure you’ll be able to make it since it’s going to be around til September. I only wish I was in London to see it. 🙁
    Great job on that scrunchie dress; you make it look very haute couture!

11. Austere

2008-06-18 at 5:55 PM

That sucks about the exhibition.
    Great outfit though. The giant scrunchie look works very well for you.

12. miss woo

2008-06-18 at 6:00 PM

I think you are starting a trend for giant body scrunchies 😉 and sorry to hear about V&R thing, at least you still look fab!

13. deexdeexdreamer

2008-06-18 at 7:26 PM

it’s been said but those lashes are pure gold! even more so now that they’ve styled… slowly but surely being swayed to the daily falsie wearing set. must…resist

14. susie_bubble

2008-06-18 at 7:53 PM

Re: Lashes! No, they’re not heavy at all…as long as they’re not TOO close to your lash line, they shouldn’t be uncomfortable… yes, I obviously ‘FEEL’ them but it’s not an uncomfortable feeling…more like a heavier presence on the eyes…

15. Shen-Shen

2008-06-18 at 8:12 PM

I can’t describe how much I love this look! The eyelashes are HEAVENLY, and that dress is amazing.. I love puffballs 🙂
    And ick, dilation tests.. I don’t think any phrase with the word “test” in it is good.

16. selina

2008-06-18 at 9:16 PM

you always pair tights of the most perfect colour with outfits, i love the purple and the white scrunchy. those eyelashes, wowza

17. choubelle

2008-06-18 at 9:31 PM

Ugh, my dialation test made my vision “wonky” for hours too! I’m sorry that you had one right before the exhibition! 🙁
    are those lashes staying on well? How many wears are they good for?

18. winnie

2008-06-19 at 1:20 AM

Oh wow, it is just like a giant scrunchie! I love it even more now! The lashes look quite incredible.

19. Jeanne

2008-06-19 at 3:09 AM

Oh no! I’ve had dilation tests before (in lieu of the airpuff test — I hate getting air shot into my eye even more than I hate the dilation), and it’s no fun to be all big-pupiled and vision-blurred. I went for ice cream after and had, shall we say, perception issues involving ice cream and my face.
    You look amazing! There will always be another great time to wear that awesome dress — the universe will make it so.

20. Ike

2008-06-19 at 6:40 AM

Perhaps you could wear the false lashes on the crease of you lid? That way when you’re eyes are open it will look like you have a lot of lashes 🙂

21. a dreamer

2008-06-19 at 7:04 AM

i’m giving your giant scrunchie a big thumbs up!

22. sophie maddocks

2008-06-19 at 9:26 AM

oh no missing the evnt sucks, love the vintage dress tho, is it a dress or a skirt?

23. anon

2008-06-19 at 2:16 PM

oh my goodness! how did you find that dress on ebay? it is so amazing! it might be my favorite thing i’ve seen you wear. you look really fab in it.

24. ineedadog

2008-06-19 at 4:16 PM

Susie! You Look Faboulus!
    I love especially the stockings colour coupling, and, of corse, your eyelashes! you look like the perfect china doll, wonderful!

25. Chloe

2008-06-19 at 6:40 PM

You and Patricia Field apparently think alike!
    Sorry about the eyes but I’m still terribly jealous of your lashes.

26. la femme

2008-06-19 at 7:17 PM

AWESOME dress.

27. aziza x

2008-06-19 at 8:54 PM

I adore the dress. It would be the kind of thing that I’d love to wear to a show.

28. Jennifer Perkins

2008-06-20 at 3:28 AM

Sorry you missed the show, but the dress does look amazing. I just picked up a few issues of various Japanese fashion magazines and they were showing tons of scrunchies in the hair and on the wrist. The issue of Cutie actually came with a free one!

29. Dana

2008-06-20 at 5:14 AM

holy eyelashes!

30. Rach

2008-06-23 at 11:30 PM

You look great…check out what Pat Field did with the blue version of your skirt she threw over SJP’s Zac Posen!

31. alis

2008-06-27 at 11:27 AM

Hey is that the test where they use a disgusting saliva-like eye drop and then press something like a back of a pen right in your eye? And then expose your eye to something so freaking bright it burns? Because if that’s it, yeah it sucks. My eyes were oozing a heavy fluid afterwards (not to mention I couldn’t see).