I did something quite hazardous to my health yesterday.  I was ‘dream browsing’.  No, not the online safe sort.  The in-store, with wafty music and in amongst the presence of other shoppers who could well afford the racks of clothes on offer, kind of ‘dream browsing’.  I did this dangerous activity in the London department store trio of Harvey Nichols (is it me or has the ambiance improved greatly?), Selfridges (is it me or has the ambiance gotten more dreadful?) and Liberty (is it me or does this store never fail to instill a sense of calmness in you?).

It involved a lot of walking around, touching things, picking things up and putting them down again and basically tricking the mind into thinking one can afford a ¬£400 dress.  It’s the sort of shallow meandering in shops that will probably make people guffaw a little.  Anyhow, the one label that repeatedly made me deluded to the point of nearly taking a dress to a cash till was 6267.  I’ve been meaning to give some sort of a shout out to the labels coming out of Milan Fashion Week that aren’t boring me to tears and are in fact really impressive.  Derercuny and Francesco Scognamiglio are part of this brigade too.  But in my dream browsing sessions, 6267 dresses were wow-ing me with their choice of fabrics, detailing and shapes.  Tommaso Aqualiano and Roberto Rimondi, two ex-Maxmara designers haven’t veered too far away from one’s idea of Italian fashion but it’s the extra edge that they have brought to the table that makes their clothes appealing.  Sarah Mower called them on on their blatant ‘homage’ to Nicholas Ghesquiere in their latest AW08-9 collection but a very detailed description of what they were trying to achieve and how they did that with fabrics, colours and inspirations on their website convinces me that they weren’t merely doing lazy nods towards Ghesquiere.

“Curvilinear Lines” follow the body and sudden verticals give the figure a slim but feminine line, seen in the short skirts to the knee, like the tiny women in old music boxes; Degas! Not tulle, but Mikado, faille and simple black and white overchecks, emphasised by touches of pale pink light, faintly echoing an infantile femininity."

Oh well…at the end of the day, 6267 proposed to me something that I very nearly parted 500 quid for yesterday which sounds a little robotic and transactional but I guess it does come down to that business minded building of a clientale and I look forward to what 6267 come up with in the future so I can engage in more dream browsing through their clothes, touching the fine fabrics and imagining ridiculous situations like being able to afford a 500 quid dress.

6267aw0809

1. Laia says:

I love dream browsing in real life. This is going to sound awful, but when I’m sort of bummed, I take the train up to Bergdorf and then just look at everything and touch everything, it makes all the difference in the world to touch fabrics and see the way things are made. And even if I leave the store with only a nail polish purchase, it’s ok, because I feel totally renewed.
    ha
    (this means I have a fashion problem, right?)

2. Trish says:

Agreed, quite visionary. Which shoe designer did they use on their runway?

3. selina says:

i love to dream browse! i always ask questions and try out shoes and bags, it’s funny when the sales assistant tries to make you buy stuff and probably thinks you can afford it when you seeeriously can’t!

4. I just browse through the racks. If I like something, I don’t bother trying it on because it will make me harder to part with it. There’s nothing worse that going home empty-handed!
    Yay! If Only I could afford such price points!

5. I understand the remark by Sarah Mower, there is a barbed edge but no one has the ownership on direction, cut or structure. So, I agree they have their own edge and style with gorgoues tonality in the outfits.

6. I understand the remark by Sarah Mower, there is a barbed edge but no one has the ownership on direction, cut or structure. So, I agree they have their own edge and style with gorgoues tonality in the outfits.

7. I understand the remark by Sarah Mower, there is a barbed edge but no one has the ownership on direction, cut or structure. So, I agree they have their own edge and style with gorgoues tonality in the outfits.

8. I understand the remark by Sarah Mower, there is a barbed edge but no one has the ownership on direction, cut or structure. So, I agree they have their own edge and style with gorgoues tonality in the outfits.

9. I understand the remark by Sarah Mower, there is a barbed edge but no one has the ownership on direction, cut or structure. So, I agree they have their own edge and style with gorgoues tonality in the outfits.

10. enc says:

I’d go off the rails for those. They’re so beautiful. I love all the references to Deco and Nouveau and Arts and Crafts.
    Plus, the colors!

11. I totally agree! I like a lot 6267 and I ADORE Derercuny

12. Hannah says:

Hi Susie,
    I love your blog! Long time reader, I’ve just been lurking in the shadows (not to sound like a stalker or anything).
    Moving on.. Liberty is fantastic. It feels so decadent inside and all those clothes.. I had a quick peek at the vintage rail when I was last there, talk about dreaming.

13. Hannah says:

Also, Selina, sales assistants actually do that to you? Like try and make you buy the items? All I get are nasty glares! Where am I going wrong?! Probably has something to do with the fact that I look about 14…

14. ME says:

I hate you “Bubble”
    You suck
    You are soooo HORRIBLE

15. MHBass says:

i love the slightly awkward yet nonchalant shape of the flared skirts.

16. a dreamer says:

the bodies of the girls look extraterrestrially long in those dresses…

17. Austere says:

That’s not weird at all. I dream browse all the time in stores until the sales lady gives me weird looks like she’s waiting for me to either buy something or get out. ha.
    I like 6267 and the diffrerent prints and textures.

18. Amber CFS says:

Well, I love you Bubble 😉 And I’m a huge fan of dream shopping.
    That middle dress on the last row is awesome. I’m always a sucker for black on black detailing but this one is especially rich!

19. gorgeous. I can spot that Alice Burdell from a mile away

20. I LOVE 6267. Picked up a fabulous gunmetal and black mesh pencil dress by them last year for a beauty TV commercial. Too bad when I finally saw the spot on TV you see about 1 square inch of fabric of the dress. Totally wasted! It was beyond hot…and now I’m sure it sits lonely in the Ad agency closet.

21. i like it! i like the emroidery and the shapes but im not sure i like the print on some of them! brilliant tho!

22. Lola says:

i absolutely love ‘dream shopping’ but its so hard for me during the past 4 years ive lived in thailand. as soon as the salespeople here notice you are veering in the direction of a shop or some clothes racks they scamper over and proceed to stare at you and hover 2 inches behind you to make sure they get their commission if i decide to buy (which i never do). i have to wait until they are a few feet away and then dash off and hide behind another rack and keep doing so each time they catch up to me until (a significant period of time later) they finally catch on and leave me alone.

23. I loved some of the shapes in this collection – I ordered their lookbook as soon as I stumbled across them. They seem to either hit an idea right on the head, or miss it all together. As a coillection I am undecided and I agree with what Sarah Mower says in her review –
    “Holding back from overworking their things would be one step in the right direction‚Äîas would getting out to experience the world a bit more. Milan is still a great city in which to make clothes of quality, but it’s also a provincial place from which it’s not always easy to grasp the bigger picture”
    Cx

24. evie says:

dream browsing… is that what it’s called? i had no idea my hobby had a name haha.

25. Angela says:

I love dream browsing. There are so many cool boutiques and shops where I’m from. I just hate feeling the glare of the salesperson from 20 feet away waiting to pounce on you the second you pick something up. haha. Anyway I am loving the last dress with the ruffles and geometric shapes and the embellishment! it must look AMAZING in real life.. and the prints!!! But I agree with Carl Starling.. some looks are a miss all together

26. maryanne says:

I love these dresses!! I personally love the 3rd and 4th ones- they are so simple and elegant- that way you can still dress them up with accessories. My new fav accessory is pearls- did you see Carrie wearing them in SATC ? I just got a necklace from premiumpearl.com and I love it. <3 pearls