Soencoverjuly08A few people have commented that my style has gotten more streamlined, less layered, and in some cases, ‘more to their tastes’.  Oh joy.  Me losing the layers is getting brownie points with some people.  Unfortunately this doesn’t really reassure or please me in the slightest because I feel like somehow I’m lacking a bit of ‘me’.  I was pondering this the other day as I had a look through my pics and then it hit me that I hadn’t been back to Hong Kong in over a year and a half.  Just to reiterate that, that is a really long time for me.  Furthermore, the Japan Centre has stopped stocking all my favourite Japanese fashion magazines and the prices have been hiked up yet again.  Heck, I don’t even go home as much these days to browse through my mum’s mag stash.  It’s not that Hong Kong or South East Asia in general has a direct effect on my style but I’ll admit that certain style aesthetics that I’ve nurtured since my teens has something to do with those places far out east and the motherland and all.  Whilst I’ve always maintained that I miss the food more than the fashion, little niggles do creep in and urges to rush to a cheap mall and buy some HKD10 tat that I can layer, style and jazz up to my heart’s content and some ‘wah-ho-cutey-ar!’ accessories to add to the outfit.

It doesn’t look like I’ll be making it back to the Fragrant Harbour until the end of this year and even then, having just checked flight prices on Virgin and nearly choking on my Vitamin Water and needing to think twice.  Therefore I’ll just glance at pics from the July issue of So-En magazine, which I’m sure my local mall in Hong Kong would carry in their specialist Japanese magazine section for FAR less than whatever ppl are charging around here (NY-ers have it lucky in the Japanese/Korean mag front, from what I’ve read at Fops and Dandies).  Online browsing of course is never the same as physical paper tearing and gazing but I’m hoping to find a bit of the ‘old me’ soon.

Soened1

Soened2

Soened3

Soened4

1. Alexis says:

That is the only magazine I buy. I never got around to subscribing (because the Japanese market nearby carries them a month in advance I’ll pick up August tomorrow)
    but maybe this’ll help
    I love it, not only is the fashion great, but the art and design is interesting-I wish I could read Japanese.

2. I’m loving the magazine tear-outs…do you know the designers in each of the outfits? I’m actually drooling over the first ensemble.
    I would love to go to HK one day…one of my friends has just moved back there for good, and I’m determined to go visit one day.
    Chin up Cx

3. Biba says:

It’s funny that i was thinking the same thing the other day, that your style now is more to “everyones Tastes”and what most people call would call “pretty”. I can’t see how that can be a bad thing when is just your natural progression and not something that you doing against yourself.

4. Sophie says:

Don’t be sad, I think your posts are just as great as ever…and I still get a lot of inspiration from your outfits.
    Sophie

5. Laia says:

Ooh, I could totally see you rocking that awesome tights/socks combo in the last pictures. And the pink shoes are absolutely fantastic.

6. to those who feel like your style is morphing toward that that suits their taste, i’d say: it’s really not about them, it’s about YOU, and whatever you like. it is NOT about your commenters and their tastes. if they don’t like what you wear and it doesn’t suit them, then why read your blog? you have to be true to yourself, not cave to their whims, whatever they may be.
    one of the things i love about you, susie, is your experimental nature, your willingness to think outside the box and try new things and permutations of old things. said experimentalism is not digested well by some others…they’ll forever try to bend you to their whims.
    i say, never give in. you’re amazing the way you are, whatever way that is.

7. Drusilla says:

Awww, you must miss HK- though I don’t think you’ve got anything to feel bad about on the fashion front, I’ve got nearly two years’ worth of pictures of you saved on my comp (oh great goodness, I sound like a stalker now), and I can’t say you’re less adventurous now than you were then. You’re still a unique dresser among the millions in blogland, and the HK influence is something I’ve always picked up off your style- it didn’t cross my mind that you felt that way about it..

8. Drusilla says:

PS: Those pictures are amaaaaaazing (so unbelievably lush), I was drooling at them over at TFS but somehow they look cooler on a blog page..

9. Emily says:

Ahhhhhh, Hong Kong misses you! I live here in HK and am thinking how much I am ready for a break from the madness and have a Europe craving, haha …
    Can’t wait til you are here to give some underground shopping info / style insights on the city I think I know so well ….

10. Blame it on the warmer weather, in 25C how many layers can you really wear and still travel on the tube?

11. KD says:

I love your layers!!!! Keep on layering! Not-layering is fine with me too, especially since it’s really hot out. But come fall I’ll be layering as well – layering with a vengeance!

12. Sister Wolf says:

Beautiful pictures, very inspiring.

13. DJM says:

Maybe the slightly more refined look you’ve been sporting of late is just another facet of your style?
    The youthful layers seemed to please most of the readers of your blog and it is very obviously your signature look, but it’s also nice to see you explore and develop others ways of dressing too, even if that’s something slicker and simpler. You can rock both girl!

14. I LOVE the inspiring photos you posted! Looking forward to more Susie experimentation.

15. Chelsea says:

Hey, do you know who the designer is for the first image,(the slightly vintage fringed shirt)? thanks

16. ali says:

I always look forward to all the different incarnations of Susie style, and it`s always cool to see how well you pull off different looks. I think you mentioned before that some people think your style is very editorial, maybe they were being critical but I love that very layered and imaginative element of your style so I`m looking forward to seeing more that again!

17. It’s funny the effect that HK has. I used to travel there twice a year for work, and loved every humid, crazy minute of it. The people there who are into fashion really seem to have a really positive experimental attitude towards it, and the girls shopping seem to be having so much fun, laughing, chatting, bringing things for their friends to try on, it’s so social, and I LOVE shopping late at night. Give me a kiwi slush with those little jelly balls and a shoe store at 11pm and I’m in heaven.
    Damn it, now I’m missing HK again.

18. Susan says:

I had noticed you were becoming more ‘streamlined’, but it’s still your style that we all know and love. Maybe it’s the (occasionally) warm weather? I must say you are my layering icon so please don’t stop layering forever!

19. eri says:

loooove this magazine! my mother even remembers it from her youth.

20. La Carmina says:

I DEFINITELY know what you mean – I visit HK every 1-2 years, and always come back with oddities. My style is hugely influenced by Asian kawaii/decora – I just posted some Gothic Lolita and Punk/Visual Kei outfits I made from cutting up old clothes (www.lacarmina.com) Not something you’ll see in a Western fashion mag!
    xoxo
    –Carmen (www.lacarmina.com)

21. Lady Smaggle says:

Your readers really irritate me sometimes. Like as if pleasing us is a high priority on your list of things to do? Whatever. I always love what you wear – I love it when you layer and I love it when you don’t. You always dress like ‘you’. It’s just that ‘you’ are a human and have changing opinions and emotions and this is translated in the way you dress. It’s not rocket science people. Jeez…

22. jo says:

go go go to hk! if the air fare is a a bit steep you could make it up by staying longer and making the fare more worth it haha! mm i can definitely see a bit of you in those spreads.

23. I hardly think you are anything close to streamline. You need not worry. (as if you were)
    I don’t know what the weather is like there, but summers in Memphis are blistering, and layering is the last you want to do.
    I love the pics.

24. liebemarlene says:

Oooh, thanks for that fashion spot link. Those photos are amazing.

Alexis: It’s still v. expensive compared to buying the mags in HK…. but it might be an option…thanks
    Guys, I can’t read the text unfortunately so I have no idea where the clothes are from…maybe some Japanese people can help us out?

26. a dreamer says:

I think your style has gotten less ‘asian’. I commented a while back that your style is a bit more grown up now. When your style was more ‘cutesy’ I think people would more likely lable you ‘japanese’.
    You look highly original and cool in whatever you wear but don’t go fully back to your old self. You’ve achieved alot on the style front, i mean, you wore a dress by itself (no layering??!!) .

27. Lisa D says:

I know what you mean! I was in Shanghai for a year (and visited HK) and really, really miss it for loads of reasons – the cheap clothes, the food, the people, the buzz. The UK just doesn’t compare in some ways.

28. I’m having the same sentiment that if I decide to try my options somewhere like Europe I’ll definitely be missing the food here is S.E.Asia most of all.
    I just hope you get a chance to visit HK soon!I on the other hand am liking the energy I’ve been getting from S.E.Asia…

29. I’m sure your regular and wonderful madcap layering will soon return. People are commenting that my style is changing but mostly I’m posting what I wear to work–which means it falls into some sort of “business appropriate” label and isn’t what I would wear given absolute freedom…

30. i get loads of inspiration from your outfits! id love to go to hong kong but unfortunatley my budget wont stretch that far!!

31. ali says:

For the person who was wondering about the fringed shirt…it seems it’s by a label called ‘Cabaret’, though that might be the name of the store it’s from, I can’t tell :S

32. rachel says:

yeeeeee!
    i am going to HK this summer ^_____^
    gutted it’s only a few days stop-over though :/
    r x

33. Terren says:

just bought this issue and it’s lovely. i’m also a huge fan of so-en. more so, when i was in japan since they have the fun, ‘where to shop’ guides around tokyo.
    have you ever checked out pretty style (or PS)? it’s definitely one of my favorites too. :]

34. Isabella says:

No doubt you should come back to HK some time soon. We all miss you, Susie.
    True, we do a lot of layering here in HK (inspired by Japan / Korea), even in the hot summer like this (30+ celcius), I easily find 2-3 layers of clothings on a trendy gal.
    Hwr, just the opposite to u, somehow I’m tired abt this mix & match everyday. (OK, I admit I’m lazy). That’s why I picked a few clothings in London, they r pretty & clean in cutting, and they just shine by themselves.

35. enc says:

Just be YOU, Susie!
    That’s what brought us all here in the first place.
    I love these layouts. I especially like the way the caption information was integrated. I know that’s nothing to do with your post, but I wanted to say it anyway.