Andcrewchair_2 I don’t really know what to say about Andrea Crews in that IT is hard to define….what DOESN’T this French active creative collective do?  I say collective because Andrea Crews is a culminative effort with Maroussia Rebecq being the founder.  I say active creative because they mix it up fashion, art, music and a lot of fun, all the while, working with humanitarian projects, schools and communities to send out their message.  What is the message?  It’s something that probably doesn’t sound very to us but when Rebecq started in 1999 to recycle clothing to reinterpret them, Andrea Crews, the label was one of the first to really get the idea of ‘post vintage’ out there.  She dramatically changes the raw materials so that in the end, they are beyond recognition…

She has taken her recycle and remake workshops all over the world…

Andcrewr1

Andcrewr2 Andcrewr3

If you plough through her biography and ideas, you get such a multi-faceted idea of what Andrea Crews is all about that you might end up confusing yourself.  The confusion continues as you check out all the galleries in the different sections of her site; fashion, art and activism…

Andcrewcolette If you’re a Parisian you might have seen her latest project a month ago at Colette when she participated in a SWAP project with art collective Item IdemHintmag and Playlust also got involved in the shenanigans.  The thing that really strikes me about what Andrea Crews does, and also what another Parisian designer Sakina M’Sa did with her ‘L’Etoffe des Heroines’ project (which Georgina of Da Scaree Fash Post alerted me to…) are the genuine motives behind it.  Labels like Noki which have a similar concept to Andrea Crews, are on the London Fashion Week schedule and their main concern is ‘fashion’ whereas Andrea Crews just wants to get the idea of recycling clothes and reusing stuff into the public consciousness, which though is an idea that we have all known about for years, hasn’t REALLY taken off in the way that it should.

Her e-shop offers up a choice selection of what Andrea Crews does.  Clothing wise, it is her TWIST range which seems to have yielded the best results for me… making tops that are vintage fabricated but contemporary in appearance.  The onesies are also a good bet though and the floral one with the dropped crotch pants (you say MC Hammer/Aladdin, I say dropped crotch… what can I say…I’m a classy kinda gal…) is surprisingly getting my vote.

Andcrewtwist

The jumpers are all jumbled up/messed up and some of them have a face on them… me like….

Andcrewjump

The e-shop might strike some as a bit ‘fluokids’ (that NR term is not popping up because it’s just appallingly dated and irrelevant…) but hunt through and these leather collars, belts and braces would surely take anyone’s fancy.

Andcrewleather

Vintage shoes get a revamp which prompts me to think about buying some mouldy old vintage pumps and doing something to them, for the sake of them being so cheap to acquire in the first place.  ‘Vintage’ doesn’t always mean ‘sacred’ and you’re not necessarily going to be ‘destroying’ something if you jazz up a vintage piece.

Andcrewshoes

So ok, the accessories do get a bit ‘I’m posing for Super Super magazine’ but as always, the surrounding context just needs to be tweaked to get these working.

Andcrewjew

1. Sweet stuff–especially the leather collars!

2. Allyson says:

Oh, I adore that first pair of pumps! I haven’t been shoe thrifting in a while, this post has inspired me to go!

3. Laura says:

oooh, I love this…very innovative and refreshing.

4. Nea says:

Thanks for this post, love it <3 It really inspired me <3

5. Cate says:

i hadn’t heard of andrea crew before, so thanks for telling us about this collective! i like the idea of “recycling” vintage pieces. the work sounds like a lot of fun, which is in my opinion also reflected in the items of clothing.

6. selina says:

the leather collar is very interesting! all this stuff seems easy to diy, which i guess was a point she wanted to prove in the end? great ideas in there, i love the vintage shoes that are possibly spray painted

7. Danny Daily says:

This is great. There is an American group doing a bit of the same thing. I saw some of their work last week at a show and just absolutely in love. I am just waiting got them to finish putting up their website before I write about them.
    I don’t know if you’ve ever seen them but there is a little shop in the Marais that sells appliques (stars, trees, flowers, abstract forms) that are meant to decorate walls BUT look stellar when tossed on the side of a bag or shoes. You just put it on and apply some heat and voila, gorgeous!
    Love,
    Danny

8. enc says:

Of course, I was going to go for the overall and jumper pieces. The shoes are fabulous.

9. Anonymous says:

Oh, what a fantastic idea! Creating new clothes and recycling old materials. That concept kills two birds with one stone. I love the tops and the shoes. I’m feeling a creative mood coming up.

10. their project looks interesting.
    Kit

11. ramona west says:

the floral jumper is amazing.

12. Frankly, Andrea crews is not offering something new.The vintage recyclage is an old idea.I leave in Paris. the brand is trendy because she sold a tee in Colette shop.But if you see the craftman work it’s not well done.And really Susie will you wear the ball necklace elsewhere than on a fashion mag.
    There is a trend french editor that is wearing the overall sometimes it’s ridiculous.
    Eco bio brand have more to prove.
    Love your blog would like to link with you

13. lady coveted says:

while reconstructed clothing has been around as long as the needle and thread, i do admire the approach andrea crews takes she involves the community/art/interweb i mean, every now and then i just browse through her site… it’s amazing.. there is always something new to be explored with clothing.
    i also love how she makes it looks so fresh and cool. dang.

14. Hannah-zoe says:

oh i absolutly love the shoes!
    i will def be attempting some of my own
    thanks!

15. Sheena says:

Hah! I freakin love the Indian men for models. Mint!

16. Reusing clothing may not be a new idea, but it has become more common. In the US, there’s a woman who organizes the Swap-o-rama-rama, where participants bring old clothing to trade, and then modify it on on site. Fun!
    The site:

17. doobiedoo says:

those leather collar ruffles look amazing, like noveau shakespearean or summit, but i can’t find anymore for the mens :(:(

18. cata says: