Clippety Clip Clip Low

Clippety Clip Clip Low

Clips1 Some things are just not meant for doing the dishes in and this slinky dress, which I bought in a charity shop as part of my self imposed ‘Under-a-tenner’ outfit rule, is it.  As nice the silky pleats are, the loose shape does make the thing I grab when I’m lounging at home.  But then it gets in the way of domestic goddess-ing work…aka the washing up.  It’s just too goddamn slinky.  So I took some funny hair clips which have never actually been in my hair to clip up the sleeves and lo and behold, a cheap trick of shifting the dress about is born….

Oh dear lord, did I just write a paragraph about washing-up and fastening sleeves up with hair clips?  I’m feeling myself sinking into a real Carrie Bradshaw ‘sock drawer’ article low (nope, haven’t seen the bloody film yet… but I am praying to make PR’s STOP emailing me pointless SATC movie related products/trends….).

Clips

22 comments

1. Drusilla

2008-05-29 at 11:15 PM

Hey, it’s a handy trick- and look at all the different dresses you get out of one dress!

2. winnie

2008-05-29 at 11:48 PM

Ah, what amazing things a couple of hair clips can do!

3. i tend to use large saftey pins to pin up my loose/baggy sleeves, I guess using hair clips are convinient.
    Kit

4. kirsty lee

2008-05-30 at 12:12 AM

i just saw the film.
    i don’t know, i guess you have to be a fan of the series (ssssshhh, i’m not) but it was like one big cringe that lasted 2.5 hours. i just don’t think it’s for me.

5. L.

2008-05-30 at 12:51 AM

I love it! You could also get those hairclip with sparkles/pearls on them for a more formal look. Also would you be able to add me to your links list if you get a moment…
    I guess I would be classified as an Australian blog.
    Thanks heaps!

6. chrissie

2008-05-30 at 2:14 AM

for some reason, i love this look (the dress +the hair really go well together

7. gloria / www.urbanebloc.com

2008-05-30 at 3:21 AM

the shoes are adorable – I like the hybrid of mens + womens wear

8. Aya

2008-05-30 at 3:26 AM

I love what you did with your dress. This is kinda off-topic and you’re not the person to ask this but stylebytes.net is not working, does that mean that style bytes is officially gone?

9. WendyB

2008-05-30 at 3:27 AM

My eyes are drawn to the shoes. Nice legs, by the way!

10. Danny Daily

2008-05-30 at 4:24 AM

Brilliant. I use clips to keep my dress shorts from billowing when I am wearing cardigans 🙂
    Love,
    Danny

11. enc

2008-05-30 at 5:28 AM

I think you did just write a paragraph about washing up, but it’s a clever use of hairclips, and you can bet everyone will try it! Nice one!

12. Anonymous

2008-05-30 at 5:47 AM

brilliant

13. regina

2008-05-30 at 5:47 AM

BRILLIANT

14. kim

2008-05-30 at 6:42 AM

Leaving aside “doing the right thing”, I came here too to see if anyone noticed that stylebytes was really offline now. Bummer 🙁
    The SATC movie is not out yet here, but I got tickets to the premiere tomorrow. I was a pretty big fan of the series (though I never thought I would like something like that before) so I’m really looking forward to it.

15. BLACKOUT

2008-05-30 at 6:47 AM

BET raises awareness to the lack of Black Models in the fashion industry tonight with the BET News Special: Fashion Blackout:
    BET News takes an inside look at one of fashion’s industry’s lasting weaknesses: The lack of Black models at major fashion shows and ad campaigns. Across the globe, as the runways fade to white, we have to ask ourselves, “Has Black become unfashionable?”
    Top Black style-makers will pull no punches as they expose their industry’s dirty little secret: racism by some of the top names in fashion. Bethann Hardison, Naomi Campbell, Andre Leon Talley, Tracy Reese Liya Kebede, Iman and others give the lowdown on the lack of Black images in high fashion.
    According to Targetmarket News.com Black women in the United States spend more than $20 billion on apparel each year. However, the runways, magazine spreads and the image/beauty industry at large is increasingly ignoring their buying power and their existence, choosing instead to market an eastern-European form of beauty as the standard. At the spring 2008 collections at Fashion Week in September 2007 in New York, the runways were dominated by white faces. In fact, Black faces were more absent from the runways than some fashion insiders have seen since the ‘60s

16. ParisTart

2008-05-30 at 7:01 AM

Susie Susie Susie!! I’m such a huge fan of your blog! I use to wait for updates on your stylediary all the time!! And your the one that influenced me to get a blog myself! I just thought I would finally post a comment and say how much I ADORE your style and all the fun things you do with fashion. Thank you for making such a difference in fashion!
    I’d be starstruck if you checked my blog out some time! Heartandsleeve.blogspot.com
    Tart

17. lady coveted

2008-05-30 at 1:25 PM

ah! those are magical sleeves! great find! and great use of the clippys!
    i’m not sure if i’ going to see the movie. part of me wants to… but part of me… meh….

18. Giselle

2008-05-30 at 1:35 PM

Love it! It’s like a thousand dresses in one 😛

19. selina

2008-05-30 at 4:24 PM

love the one long sleeve, i bet it would look great with lots of hand movements and dancing

20. Natty

2008-05-30 at 6:15 PM

And there was me thinking those hair clips were useless, mind you with hair as thick as mine – nothing can ever hold it back!
    As creative as ever – I love the changes to the dress by this simple little thing!

21. la femme

2008-06-04 at 1:49 AM

it’s impressive how many looks you can achieve! love the shoes too.

22. Djfrenkios

2008-06-12 at 5:05 PM

you have a very nice community ,
    thank you for the valuable information.