Flowers for everyone

Flowers for everyone

Thomas Voorn wants to explore the boundaries of…

taste /  beauty  –  colour / print  –  masculinity /  femininity  –
recycling / new  –  slickness / home made

Well, the former Osvomode (who I blogged about when I first started Style Bubble) designer/stylist certainly achieved all of that with his ‘Coming Home’ SS08 collection.  Really at first glance, the abundance of floral prints on a male model should put me right off.  But then I look at that initial feeling and see it as hypocrisy.  If the model was a girl, I’d be saying ‘Wowee, those Liberty/Balenciaga-esque prints are brilliant….’.  Indeed, this is all a matter of taste and I suppose Voorn wants to push the boundaries of what is considered to be bad taste and see how we react to it.  It’s not clear of course for which sex is the collection for but I feel what Voorn is trying to say (and this is all conjecture by the by….) is that it doesn’t really matter.  In any case, for some reason, I’m seeing these chintzy prints used in a Wes Anderson movie in the future.

8 comments

1. flux de mots

2008-02-10 at 9:29 PM

of course–especially with the bottom middle–I immediately think of zach braff and get annoyed at my brain.

2. buttonsandstars

2008-02-10 at 9:31 PM

Haha, you’re so right about the Wes Anderson thing!
    I loved the Darjeeling Limited, I must say. Everything looked so rich and colourful!

3. Noel

2008-02-10 at 9:42 PM

So…pretty @_@. The pretty florals definitely contrast with the model’s firm square jaw.

4. EJ

2008-02-10 at 10:09 PM

middle row, right hand side= best shirt i’ve seen in ages…. possibly, though i can’t see what’s going on with his collar

5. clover

2008-02-11 at 12:25 PM

talk about garden state

6. headmistress

2008-02-11 at 2:09 PM

yep, Zach Braff in Garden State was my first thought when I saw these 🙂
    They do look lovely though – esp the centre and right columns – they work really well with his square jaw and lovely hair… very whimsical…
    though the top left looks like it’s from a muumuu. Plus the neckline. just… very, very wrong.

7. lady coveted

2008-02-11 at 7:15 PM

i can certainly imagine some guys getting away with this look… but it’s a rare breed.
    i’m thinking for mens, and florals, detailing, like ties and pocket squares would be awesome with chintzy floral prints.

8. j

2008-02-13 at 4:12 AM

I think these would especially look good layered under something.