If we delve into the true sense of the word ‘indie’, what we really are saying is independent. No hip/cool associations. No style associations really. The essence of the word is independent and that’s that. Spork Fashion highlighted the work of Gazebo Textiles, run by Ricki Lee Moler who lives in Pennsylvania. Without meaning to cause any offense to the designer, the website is a little on the basic side. Nothing flashy (quite literally…zero flash content). No background music. No minimal backgrounds with simple fonts (the favoured format of new fashion designer websites…). No slideshows which don’t allow you save the images. No slightly poncy or quote worthy ‘philosophy/mission statement’. No ‘fashiony’ photographs that might obscure the clothes. It‚Äôs all honest and plain, letting Moler‚Äôs hand dying, fabric painting and batik techniques speak for themselves. I am sort of ashamed at just how swayed and instantly impressed I am by swish websites or fantastic campaign imagery when really, at the end of the day, it‚Äôs the clothes that have to do the talking.

However, even looking at Gazebo‚Äôs images, some of you might be thinking ‚ÄòWhat sort of freaky tea has Susie been drinking?‚Äô as in brutal honesty, some of the pieces can come off looking a little ‚Äòhippyish‚Äô? In the season of all things painterly, delicate, floaty and just a little bit whimsical though, with the right styling, these pieces, though pretty in their own right, would look a lot more ‚ÄòSusie-ified‚Äô once my own wardrobe has been incorporated. What I‚Äôm honing in on though is the unique nature of each garment in that the dye effects are more organic as opposed to the high street dip dye offerings (of which there will be many judging from the magazine high street supplements…). What I‚Äôm really saying is that I need to be looking beyond the cache of cool that often new designers swathe themselves with because sometimes it can yield pleasantly surprising results.

1. WendyB says:

I like a nice basic and FUNCTIONAL website. A flash intro with a “skip intro” option is nice but other than that, I hate flash. If you REALLY want me to look at the product, show me the product fast, is my attitude. I don’t want to watch a movie. As for these pieces, I can definitely see how one would blend into the wardrobe well. You wouldn’t want a whole closet full of it, but they are pretty.

2. Suzanna says:

What a great point you make here, S. I do think design bling (including language) has become de trop. In many instances it is the equivalent of the Las Vegas Strip, an edifice erected in the middle of nowhere for the purpose of trapping the almighty consumer dollar.
    About these clothes, you’ve honed in on what makes them interesting. Although I’m not convinced much could be done with that skirt, the artisan-like quality of the dye work is superb.

3. annah says:

the top right dress reminds me of those leaf collars you wrote about a while ago..
    i really like them, and i can see you being able to do some wonderful things with them
    oh, and i love the website. flash irritates me!

4. Drusilla says:

Wowie…very Monet, some of them look..

5. lady coveted says:

oh, drusilla coined it.. monet… i really like these pieces, but then again, i had a hand dying experiment the other day, and to tell the truth, i thought it was the most gratifying thing i’ve done in a long time. well… after redesigning my website.
    but i can totally see how you can incorporate this into your wardrobe… susie, you’d hardly be hippy!

6. These are very inspiring. A modern twist on the hippy tie-dye of the past? I’d really like to try my hand at this.

7. At first the presentation doesn’t appeal to me, as though I don’t like overt extravagance, I like some flair. But looking closely, I definitely notice the quality of the dye work, and that’s what counts.

8. bronwyn says:

These are beautiful, I didn’t think battik could look so good. Although the battik patterns are mostly nicer than the outfits. I also love your dip dying…I think I might also have to try this 🙂

9. aussieborn says:

altho I, personally, don’t like the tie-dye effect I feel this portrays. I understand and respect what you’re saying – from indie – designer. It made me look twice at the thumbnails, and although I did think you were drinking some wacky tea, it did make me look twice.
    xo

10. Rachel says:

I really like the dresses to, im sure they hav a great future ahead of them 😉

11. Brownsugar says:

Hey all,
    Susie love the blog and first came across it when you wrote about the puff skirts.
    Since then I have to say I have noticed a few places do actually use the technique mentioned.
    Can I how many people have found a nice spot at the back of the wardrobe for their puff ball dresses, tops and skirts ;-D
    But seriously back to the point the first 2 dresses are okayish, the last four just remind me of those ethical/fair trade/organic labels that have contributed to the impression that ethic/fairtrade and organic fashion is synonymous with mung designs.
    Without actually cutting the skirt Sus (you are talented) I fail to see how you can make that one look cool…but I do dare you to try 😉

12. Brownsugar says:

Hey all,
    But seriously back to the point the first 2 dresses are okayish, the last four just remind me of those ethical/fair trade/organic labels that have contributed to the impression that ethic/fairtrade and organic fashion is synonymous with ming designs.
    as for a flash site: for me they are sometimes a bit time consuming slow to work and they aren’t recognised on search engines.

13. Brownsugar says:

PS: how did my post get high jacked by Rachel?

14. Mer says:

I just don´t like any of the pictures BUT I understand perfectly your idea. Actually, is great way to find new styles, and be a bit more creative. Another great post Susie, cheers

15. enc says:

Nice colors.

16. kartik says:

You may call these fashion pieces basic, but these dresses without the brand! The work certainly does the talking. I am actually impressed with the designs