Someone wants to get into the Fondation YSL

Someone wants to get into the Fondation YSL

I do apologise if this is all old news for you and if you’re tired of SS08 ad talk but seeing a mag addict like myself is going to be flicking through these ads for the next five months or so, it pays to be a little bit aware.  Inez & Vinoodh have shot the Yves Saint Laurent ads again for SS08 and it features Kate Moss peering inside the window of the ‘Fondation Pierre Berg√© / Yves Saint Laurent’ in Paris.  Let’s forget the question of does Miss Moss look good blah blah blah as I have no particular interest in whether she should be doing the ad in the first place or whether her fringe is working… seriously I mean it… zero interest whatsoever.

Instead let’s look at the delectable combination of acrylic star necklace and an immaculate grey jersey strapless dress.  It’s these two seemingly naive and non-lux materials that I’ve always had a bit of a love affair with and though YSL’s SS08 collection didn’t floor me, the ad highlights how Stefano Pilati has skillfully crafted these materials into something that doesn’t suggest ‘naive’ at all.  Grey jersey and acrylic – two definite check list items for me to accumulate in the coming months.

18 comments

1. clover

2007-12-28 at 9:29 PM

aw..you didnt like the ad?
    i thought it was the best ad i seen so far from ss08

2. Alexander

2007-12-28 at 9:52 PM

the dress is some kind of sensational. I was pretty underwhelmed by spring ysl as a whole, but I have been assured that in the showroom it was actually spectacular. the spike-heeled shoes are repugnant though.
    and I’m never sure about mirror acrylic. kind of overpriced tatty devine, sometimes.
    love,
    Alex.

3. Ashley

2007-12-28 at 10:22 PM

i have to agree, i loooove that gray dress!

4. kitty

2007-12-29 at 12:00 AM

That dress is perfection…

5. Tasha

2007-12-29 at 12:13 AM

Lovely dress. The fabric makes it really versatile, i think.
    on another topic (i just didn’t know where to place it) I saw in the background of one of your own pictures that big ol’ Stylist (sarah mower) book and was wondering of you think it’s a good buy. it looked promising but thought I’d ask a pro.

6. wecouldgrowuptogether

2007-12-29 at 5:10 AM

love everything of the ad, low maintianence, effortless, tres chic. the capacity of the fashion house (with this much of heritage) to embrace something like that, is aMAzing

7. anna

2007-12-29 at 7:47 AM

I like the dress + necklace combination, simple yet interesting. kate moss seems to be an odd colour thought? it looks like they have airbrushed it a bit too much.

8. Dustcakeboy

2007-12-29 at 8:50 AM

Although I was initially disgusted by Kate’s presence[I just had to!] for the millionth time I soon found myself loving the ad.
    I&V haven’t exactly impressed me with their latest work but they have more than redeemed themselves with this in my eyes.
    This just seems to have a certain edge the majority of the other ads this coming SS 08 lack.
    DCB.

9. Anonymous

2007-12-29 at 9:45 AM

that grey jersey looks perfect

10. RoseMary

2007-12-29 at 10:03 AM

the outfit would be great if she added belt.

11. Sonja

2007-12-29 at 10:16 AM

The dress and the necklace go so well together!!

12. A.

2007-12-29 at 2:53 PM

The dress is everything a dress is supposed to be and it goes so well with that fabulous necklace. Amazing ad!

13. yes it is a good combination

14. susie_bubble

2007-12-30 at 5:38 PM

Clover: I do LOVE the ad…. I’m just not bothered about who is in it… that for me is not the point of it…
    Alexander: Ripped off Tatty Devine is never good…. I too prefer normal acrylic than the mirrored stuff…
    Tasha: A separate post is in order for that book…. trying to find a scanner to capture some of the images though is a toughie!

15. mahalie

2007-12-31 at 12:50 AM

I ADORE this dress!!! Can’t afford it personally, but I think I have some similar material lying around just waiting to be sewn into unexpected elegance!

16. jen

2007-12-31 at 6:38 AM

Oh thats a great ad, love the grey dress!

17. KC

2008-01-06 at 10:08 PM

cant stand Kate, but dear lord she knows how to take a photo!
    Love that dress!!

18. KC

2008-01-06 at 10:09 PM

cant stand Kate, but dear lord she knows how to take a photo!
    Love that dress!!