Oh my god – DRAMA!

Oh my god – DRAMA!

Dramacover1 Every year I have to increase my magazine buying budget but I’m happy to do so if there’s quality there worth forking out for.  New publications like Plastique, Lula and Let Them Eat Cake that have sprung up in the last two years or so are now on my permanent mag-buy routine.  So squeezing out yet more money for another newbie on the block isn’t a chore.  Drama aims to fuse fashion and performance arts together aims to engage readers like ‘theatre’ does.

‘Life is a Performance and DRAMA is the new stage.’

Attractive enough as a quote but to get to the nitty gritty, the first issue will feature the likes of Roisin Murphy, Rupert Pennefather (lead male from The Royal Ballet) and a top 20 hot-list feature on up and coming actors, singers, dancers, performers and artists.  So rather than focusing solely on fashion, it will traverse the worlds of art, dance and theatre using fashion as a medium of communication.  I have to say, when I heard KABIR (contributor to Super Super magazine…) was going to be the fashion editor, I expected something slightly more OTT but the previews seem rather refined an quite subtle in some cases…. a 180 from his work at Super Super so it will be interesting to see the whole issue.

However, what has really signed me up for the first issue is an editorial sneak preview here showing a ‘Qui √™tes vous, Polly Maggoo?’ inspired photoshoot – the re-interpretation of the scene where Polly is nearly lost amongst a gaggle of models posing in front of a black and white striped background, the upward robotic gaze of the Miss Maxwell clones – it looks like a good homage to William Klein’s film…

The first issue will come out on December the 18th in R.D. Franks (available elsewhere from Jan onwards…) and costs ¬£6.50.

11 comments

1. Ryan

2007-12-14 at 4:05 PM

Thats a wildly ambitious project I think. But from the pictures it very exciting.

2. DUDBLANKPATHETIC

2007-12-14 at 4:53 PM

i pretty much love the review, but doesn’t it all look a bit over-polished? i mean it as some old-fashioned tune in it i can hardly find inspiring.

3. Passementerie

2007-12-14 at 6:05 PM

It might be overreaching itself somewhat (I’m not sure how sustainable an idea it is) but I’ll certainly check it out when I see it!

4. cate

2007-12-14 at 6:57 PM

this magazine looks cool

5. Suzanne

2007-12-14 at 9:16 PM

As Ryan said, an ambitious fusion project, but from the looks of it there is already a mix of traditional fashion editorial (latest supermodel) with the promised arcana. Sounds as if the premise would make a great feature column, but not necessarily an entire magazine. Still, it’s a biannual, so there isn’t the immediacy there would be at a more frequently published mag.

6. Tinetush

2007-12-15 at 1:26 AM

Oh, thanks for posting susie..
    I really like the sound of this. Not sure If I’ll be able to get hand on it thoug, since I practically live in Mag Siberia.
    But the mix of fashion, theatre art etc. really does sound interesting..

7. eurobrat

2007-12-15 at 2:07 AM

I’m in love with that Kate Bush/Placebo song too! My sister put it onto my iPod and I can’t stop playing it.
    Hey, did you see the article in Italian Glamour with both of us? I’m travelling around Asia looking for a scanner- if you haven’t posted about it yet, I’ll send it to you.
    xo

8. brooksie

2007-12-15 at 7:55 AM

Polly Magoo…now that’s a reference. This mag sounds interesting, but Susie how do you afford all these mags? Last week I spent almost $170 and I didn’t even get Vogue Paris, only Italia! Wow So many are so good, yet so expensive…sheesh.
    Anybody interested in “Polly Magoo” that lives in the States should keep an eye out on Sundance Channel. They have it and have been showing it ever so often.

9. MySpace Text

2007-12-15 at 10:47 AM

Im excited to see the it…but I want it to be truely interesting, okie?

10. Anonymous

2007-12-17 at 5:50 PM

Love the font choice for the title.

11. La Nouvelle Heloise

2007-12-19 at 1:17 AM

Wow! Fashion, arts AND the lovely Rupert Pennefather? Can’t wait to get my hands on this mag!