Out with the rave, in with the Joy

Out with the rave, in with the Joy

A conscious effort to finally put the nail in the coffin of the term ‘nu-rave’?  Perhaps.  The band, Klaxons that have unfortunately been tagged as the mascot of this style/music/social phase have said they themselves are perplexed that NME have promulgated the term and have described it as a ‘joke that got out of hand’.

So out with their neons, pixelated prints and cartoon clothes.

In with something darker, a bit of leather, some glitz and a lot more complexity as shown here at their recent Manchester gig.  As well as saying goodbye to the aforementioned tag that they seem to despite now, they’re also making nods towards the current season with their new stage get-ups.

The person responsible for this image change?  Christian Joy, who is based in New York and is best known for being the favoured designer of Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeah’s has branched out and is now designing Klaxons’ stage costumes.  I had bags of fun with a Pratt Institute student who has been working as first assistant to Christian Joy and it was great to find out about the amount of work it takes to make Miss Karen O look as fantastically awesome as she does on stage.  (Pssst…if you loved the first Christian Joy for Topshop collection, there’s another one on its way very soon!).

It’s hard to tell from the gig pictures but it seems to me that it’s a shame that Christian Joy isn’t applying this sort of flamboyance to her ready to wear pieces (though I do love the simplicity of her SS08 collection…).  Though the term ‘nu-rave’ is not as odious to me as to others, it just strikes me as a little hilarious that it came and went so quickly.  Or maybe it never actually existed and it was a figment of a lot of people’s imaginations?  Anyhow, let’s not get into the existentials of it all.  The bottom line is Klaxons + Christian Joy = quite spectacular and a much welcome image-change.

17 comments

1. lady coveted

2007-11-28 at 6:23 PM

oh yeah… i’ve been dubious of nu rave… only because i was part of the original rave thing… oh dear.
    but this christian joy costumes… simply amazing.

2. cate

2007-11-28 at 7:24 PM

i kinda liked the clothes in the first pic, the coloured clothes, and i like it better than these darker costumes at the gig..

3. luxe luthor

2007-11-28 at 9:32 PM

I love Karen O’s crazy costumes! and how fun must it be to be able to design such over the top clothing and have someone like her wear it. I was surprised to see her 08 collection was so wearable!

4. maya

2007-11-28 at 9:38 PM

haha I understand them saying that it was a joke that got out of hand…
    ‘maybe it was just a figment of of a lot of people’s imaginations’ <3
    The new stuff looks interesting (especially the drummer, edward scissor hands) but surely now they're going to be known as 'new-grave' lol.
    It's nice to know the name of the designer behind Karen O's outfits, I'll have a look =)

5. Elise

2007-11-28 at 10:07 PM

Am I the only one here who is reminded of Edward Scissorhands? Especially by the first picture. That’s sooo Edward! :p

6. emily

2007-11-29 at 5:33 AM

The spring summer 08 collection is so lovely, and modeled to a spectacular effect by MS. Karen O! I can’t say I know much about the Klaxons, but they cetainly seem to have been improved by the touch of Christian Joy!

7. Drusilla

2007-11-29 at 7:08 AM

I love it when bands make an effort with stage costumes, but the nu-rave tag was a bit annoying. In any case, the new Klaxons stage cosumes certainly look good, and that’s saying something.

8. yumiko

2007-11-29 at 8:29 AM

uahhhhhmmm
    godd yes i love karen o
    itd be so nice if youd put something up about her!! :]]]

9. indie

2007-11-29 at 6:46 PM

First I thought the headline had reference to Joy Division 😀
    But it’s still clever one. Though all this glitter and sequins and black is making me sick…it was fun year ago…

10. Stevie

2007-11-29 at 8:47 PM

Hmm, so-so.
    Simon looks a little time he’s about to trot off to a battle re-enactments.
    On the other hand I love James R’s get up. Though have just realised that is possible because I have a gold shirt which is uncannily similar.
    Still, I’m glad that Klaxons have had enough sense to reinvent themselves PRONTO, it’s more than can be said for that silly Henry Holland.
    And extra points for Christian Joy.

11. Stevie

2007-11-29 at 8:52 PM

..wait, I meant Jamie Reynolds when I said Simon!
    And I thought I was a “fan”.
    ukk, that word.

12. CLICK ME

2007-11-30 at 7:31 AM

wow…this guy is scary!

13. MarMar

2007-12-04 at 11:35 PM

I also love it when bands have a cohesive look… The look is part of their art…I’m glad The Klaxons are getting their look together. When I saw them play they were all just wearing t-shirts and jeans.
    my favorite fashionistas and fashionistors(is that what one would call the male equivalent?) of music right now are
    karen o from the yeahyeahyeahs – http://www.myspace.com/yeahyeahyeahs
    the keyboardist from the horrors – http://www.myspace.com/thehorrors
    io from io echo- http://www.myspace.com/jgvellum
    and um… yeah i think that’s about it.
    obsessed with them all right now.

14. Anonymous

2008-01-11 at 8:46 PM

I thought Carri Munden was working with the klaxons–hence the nu rave garb

15. Anonymous

2008-01-11 at 8:53 PM

i meant to say, Carri Munden was working with them before the switch–hence the nu rave garb. I like the new look!

16. Aion kinah

2010-03-02 at 7:07 AM

karen o from the yeahyeahyeahs
    the keyboardist from the horrors

17. ugg ultra tall

2010-08-09 at 3:22 AM

Your blog is very beautiful! I like! Oh, you have a special creative ah! I hope you find time to share with me! Ah tell me your experience