Like Fashionologie, I too was counting down the days until the special guest-edited issue of Vogue Paris would be coming out especially as the guest-editor in question is Charlotte Gainsbourg.  An interesting choice because though she is a muse to Nicholas Ghesquiere and is the face of Gerard Darel, she doesn’t strike me as a ‘fashionista’ or perhaps, there lies the beauty of letting her loose on the magazine.  I haven’t gotten hold of the issue but having seen these scans…well I now know what will be weighing me down when I come back from Paris on Sunday and what I’ll be holed up with a cup of tea

‘La Science du R√™ve’ (a word play on the ‘Everyone-must-watch-at-least-one-because-it’s-so-fantastically-brilliant’ film Les Sciences du R√™ve – The Science of Sleep which Gainsbourg starred in last year), shot by Craig McDean has Charlotte Gainsborg in the new season’s artful, fantasy dresses as styled by Carine Roitfeld.  Despite my slight ‘Meh’ towards Prada’s footwear, I must say everything has been used to stunning effect here.  There’s a also a quiet seductiveness in the way Charlotte poses along with the help of the tastefully sexy Sabbia Rose hoisery that makes the images even more alluring.

1. cate says:

as you have a slight “meh” towards prada footwear, i have a slight “meh” towards everything prada… and i think charlotte gainsbourg seems really nice, and “letting her loose on the magazine” has defly upgraded my opinion of Vogue again – you see, i am reading “the devil wears prada” once again…

2. Sherrie says:

French Vogue is edgier and more beautiful than American Vogue (the subject of that horrible novel) by leaps and bounds.

3. if my bank account was negative i would pick this up. i adore charlotte.

4. Ryan says:

It’s refreshing to see magazines taking a chance – if indeed it is a chance

5. MKO says:

HOT! She has such a fierce look that’s not conventional, I love it.

6. Thom Wong says:

Because I live such an insular cultural life, I sometimes forget that not everyone loves Wes Anderson or Arcade Fire or Chuck Klosterman. (Wait, they don’t?) As such, while I don’t think it’s a risk to put the lovely Ms. Gainsbourg on the cover of a magazine, if it is it’s a risk worth taking.
    Thanks for the preview shots Suzie!

7. Drusilla says:

I absolutely love the way Ms Gainsbourg looks…she, Cate Blanchett (who has the cover of i-D- yippee for that!) and Sofia Coppola are among the ultimate in showing people that being stylish doesn’t mean dressing up for US Weekly.

8. Suzanna says:

The color palette for this shoot is wonderful; there is a sense of apprehension in it, of something creeping up (and not just her skirt). The slight defensive posture in the last photo is marvelous also. It’s as if she’s been caught deshabillee and has grabbed the garment to cover up.
    Thanks for showing these, S.!

9. julia says:

it reminds me of an Ingre painting- i guess it’s the lighting and the incredible fabric. Also, the compositions are amazing, very artistic, and there’s something stragely unusual about them for a fashion photograph.
    i love!

10. julien says:

ive just bought it!
    really cool infos about her zit problems…
    it balanced well the beauty of the pictures: she s human after all!

11. Stevie says:

I’ve been very excited indeed about Gainsbourg as guest editor.
    I was a little baffled by the Prada heels. Just rather ugly looking and not even in a great way. Though I suppose they make a nice change from seeing editorials using the same Louboutins and P Hardy’s.
    ..or even the AW07 Prada Cone heels. Am rather confused at how I don’t feel as sick of them as I should given how many times I have seen them.

12. sam says:

as a Charlotte fan for over 10 years it’s almost surreal to see her getting all of this mainstream attenion.
    Part of her appeal for me is her integrity and her quiet self-assuredness. However, artful and ‘edgy’ Carine’s vision, this is not at all representative of Charlotte’s effortless, timeless, unstudied style.
    I definitely prefer her 2000 Vogue Italia cover shoot styled by Lori Goldstein and even the recent US Elle styling over this dreary, life-less McDean collabortion.
    Hopefully the other pages in this $20 mag will be more reflective of Charlotte’s discreet yet distinctive style.
    Miuccia is God.

13. CLICK ME says:

umm…these girls are so beautiful!

14. I love this issue! I’m gonna buy it for sure

15. jen b. says:

I was unaware at first but I went to see the Bob Dylan biopic “I’m Not There” last night and she had a pretty major role! I was so happy about that and this may explain the press (not that I don’t think she deserves it because I like her a lot), or even the guest editing.

16. vogueite says:

that last frock.
    isn’t it Dolce & Gabbana Spring 2008, hand-painted and all? Susie you should definitely do a post on them; won’t you agree that their latest was out of this world?

17. brooksie says:

You can really make her out, these pics are so dark. Perhaps it’s the scans, which tend to be darker than actual magazines, but I can’t really make out all that much.

18. tendergirl says:

La class made in France!!

19. MKO says:

julia – what a great observation re: Ingre!

20. riz says:

These are exquisite. Slightly inky and moody, and a testament to I am very surprised also by Roitfeld’s greatness. the And I confess that I have yet to read Devil Wears Prada the book!

21. rollergirl says:

I didn’t see the scans as I deliberately squinted my eyes so as not to ruin the surprise when I finally buy the mag myself. I love that they chose her as guest editor. Last year’s Galliano edition, and the Kate Moss ones were a huge disappointment. But the Sofia Coppola one was a triumph. I don’t think it was risky at all (er, but I’ve yet to see the mag)!

A lot of Charlotte G loving here….
    Cate: Devil Wears Prada bears no similarity to French Vogue whatsoever….or so I’m told… 😉
    Thom Wong: I wouldnt’ say it’s a risk…but not an obvious choice either…
    Stevie: I need time to get my head around those SS08 shoes…
    Sam: I think the point of this shoot was to get away from our ‘perception’ of Charlotte. I wouldn’t call anyone ‘God’ but yes Miuccia is genius…just need time to understand that genius sometimes…
    Vogueite: I wasn’t floored by the collection but I liked the intentions behind it though…
    Jen.B: Must.see.that.film…
    Rollergirl: It’s a fab issue…go get!