Getting some functional and helping a cause…

Getting some functional and helping a cause…

Publicity wise, Gap hasn’t gone bonkers with Katie Grand’s curated collection of (Product) RED clothing and accessories for World AIDS Day with the full range only unveiled in the latest issue of Pop magazine.  I in turn haven’t really gone bonkers for it either.  Yes, whilst it is a worthy cause with 50% of the profits will go towards the Global Fund to fight AIDs in Africa, the products are discreet and very apt for Gap, though not worth queuing up for or anything.  These include some notably designed t-shirts; a ‘Mouse’ graphic Giles tee, a Proenza Schouler grey and black ink blot tee, some House of Holland slogan tees (quelle surprise… though the slogans are a touch more meaningful…’Be Incredible, Not Forgettable’, ‘Be Ado(red), Not Flawed’).  Katie Hillier has done an inside out navy sweatshirt bag with red ribbon deailing and Pierre Hardy has done a red satin classic flat shoe (his capsule collection was quite the disappointment, felt more so when I visited his Palais Royal store in Paris and pondered the VAST difference between his own label shoes and what he did for Gap….).

However, the item that will get ppl wagging, or probably even WAGS wagging is the re-worked Mulberry Roxanne bag that will come in red or grey jersey versions and will be priced at a modest sum of ¬£85.  There’s a reason why ‘IT’ bags don’t feature that heavily on Style Bubble and reason being I have an almost stone cold lack of affection towards bags.  I treat em’ mean and don’t keep them clean.  If they’re functional, I’ll use them.  Passing admiration for beautiful bags is one thing but I’ve never been one to swoon excessively over them.  I have a rather non-plussed ‘shrug shrug’ attitude towards designer bags so whilst the words ‘Mulberry Roxanne’ may have some people going ker-azy over it, I’m struggling to remember what the bag looks like exactly.

The one thing that I can say, without having too much prior knowledge of its leather predecessor, is that this Gap reworked version is far more appealing to me.  It doesn’t look like it will weigh a ton.  It’s not precious-looking and looks like you can bang it about a bit more and probably put it through the washing machine.  I have an affinity with grey jersey in a way that everytime I see it be it in the form of t-shirt/dress/skirt, I do end up stroking it and invariably buying it and so seeing as I haven’t yet come across a perfect grey jersey bag, I may have to put down my anti-IT bag shield and go forth.

The final plus is, these Katie Grand-curated Gap (Product) RED items will hits stores this Saturday (1st December) at the London and Paris flagship stores as well as Colette in Paris and Dover Street Market in London (sadly, this is restricted to London/Paris only…).  As it happens, I will be in Paris in the wee hours of the 1st so I shall toodle off to Colette to hopefully snap up what is in my eyes a functional grey jersey bag with some design interest as opposed to exclaiming ‘Oh-my-god-it’s-a-cheap-Mulberry-must-get-there-b4-the-other-bitches-do!’.

**EDIT** – I managed to find an image of the grey jersey version which has sealed it for me… off to Colette I go…

Gapredbag3

19 comments

1. Fashion Tidbits

2007-11-28 at 12:08 PM

the bag is definitely gorgeous, and the price is unbelievable !

2. Kris

2007-11-28 at 2:33 PM

That bag is nice!
    My mum’s got the original leather Roxanne and MY GOD it’s heavy. When it’s empty, it’s already too heavy! So ridiculous, I don’t know what they were thinking when they made it.

3. susie_bubble

2007-11-28 at 2:38 PM

Kris: That is exactly what I thought and I haven’t even carried it! I’m really hoping the grey jersey version will be at Colette…

4. Angie Montreal

2007-11-28 at 2:40 PM

I think when you take that sort of bag, which most people view as super luxurious and make it in the humble heather grey jersey it suddenly becomes very witty. I think it will be perfect for you, good luck!

5. raq

2007-11-28 at 2:56 PM

i adore both the red and heather grey! but i’ll never be able to own one since i live all the way in asia where the prices’ll be jacked up so high it’s unbelievable

6. Alexander

2007-11-28 at 3:11 PM

I’m sure a boy can pull off the grey jersey one. the grey is far better than the red. I don’t like anything that supports bono and the ego to which he has become accustomed.
    I kind of want to biro over it. although it may be too marc by marc 2001.
    love,
    Alex.

7. Stevie

2007-11-28 at 3:23 PM

Hmm, although the idea of being about to get my mitts of reasonably priced Proenza Schouler, this is rather “blah”, non?
    Hmm. And Henry Holland?
    Katie, I love you, but this is a little disappointing.
    At least the campaign isn’t being whored all over the place.
    Oh dear, words like “whored” and “blah”. I need a nap.

8. Sage

2007-11-28 at 3:44 PM

i love the bag..and it’s cost!

9. tendergir

2007-11-28 at 4:20 PM

Such beautiful bag!!!

10. the europeans get the better gap stuff…

11. Suzanna

2007-11-28 at 6:12 PM

Europeans totally get better Gap stuff!
    Don’t do the “It” bag either, but recently got a discounted semi-It that is quite similar to your gray bag here. Like this gray one and think it will take to quite a bit of bashing around, an activity I like to enjoy with my own bags.

12. maya

2007-11-28 at 9:46 PM

it’s nice but it does remind me of a chastity belt..

13. laurrren_a

2007-11-29 at 12:36 AM

Hmm well I for one am admittedly a bag fiend and it upsets me that I won’t be able to own the grey Roxanne… damn Geography!
    If you get it I will be eternally jealous! Good luck though.. Grazia’s calling this lot of Bono merchandise ‘fashion history’ or something.
    x

14. Drusilla

2007-11-29 at 7:14 AM

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t like the sanctimoniousness of the t-shirt messages. It’s just a little too preachy.
    I don’t get It-bags either, but the ubiquity is quite a shame- some of them (like the Balenciaga Lariat) are actually well-designed and deserve to become classics and will just go to the trend scrapheap at the end of the year. That said, I still like my canvas messenger bag better than anything in the world.

15. Gloria

2007-11-29 at 8:18 PM

damn, why not GAP US? Personally, I could go for a giles deacon RED tee.

16. jennifer

2007-11-30 at 3:42 AM

Does the Gap, a company started in the US, not think that people in the US would be able to appreciate the designs and designers that will be available in the EU stores?! That’s incredibly sad! You know people will do the same as with the “I’m Not A Plastic Bag”s and sell them on eBay for many times more money…all the sadder since the Red products are to raise money for a good cause!

17. CLICK ME

2007-11-30 at 7:58 AM
  18. Jordans 2

2010-05-12 at 2:31 AM

To your blog at these shoes are very excited! Pleasure in your blog to see! I can be for reference? Thank you for sharing!

19. kratom

2011-03-07 at 2:23 PM

That’s how you make me envy, for having great stuff.