Jumping for Jodhpurs?

Jumping for Jodhpurs?

I know I say I never set out for Style Bubble to be an information portal, a style educator because let’s face it, if I even attempted to sound like I was educating, I’d be laughed out of Typepad in a jiffy.  So jodhpurs, pants du season, the MUST-have shape, yadda yadda yadda.  Fashion folk have called Balenciaga’s jodphurs incarnations GENIUS, some bloggers have declared them a disaster, some have taken to them like a fish to water.  People, in reality will probably say ‘There is no way I can pull them off…’.  Before the informative bit comes, my personal opinion is this…. ‘What is the big kerfuffle?’

Jodhpurs of even more exaggerated proportions have been around in Japan/Hong Kong for yonks and I own some Michiko Koshino ones that came out about 5 seasons ago.  My Preen breech trousers are a next step up and I find them suprisingly easy to wear (they have been re-issued for this season as well at Two See!).  I’m not quite understanding the love/hate reaction to them unless you really have a fear of equestrian gear (at least this bit of riding gear isn’t quite as prohibitive as say Balenciaga’s riding hats from last year…).

Despite the divided reaction, the store to tackle them is surprisingly The GapI wrote about Gap’s new European design team and presumably, them taking on the jodhpur is a message that says ‘We are on the cutting edge’.  They have been touted as the closest thing to Balenciaga you’re going to find on the high street and in colours of beige and olive, I can quite concur.  They have just rolled into UK stores and I’m guessing Euro-Gaps will have them too.  Sadly, the USA shall be missing out which I do feel is a smack in the face considering the company is American.  I won’t play a broken record but it makes no sense to me not stock ANY of the European Gap stuff over on the other side of the Atlantic…

Quick to get in on the jodhpur bandwagon, Warehouse have also come out with their side button jodhpurs in beige and black.  Sadly, the Balenciaga robo leggings of SS07 never made such an impact on the high street but it does look like that Mr Ghesqui√®re has scored a ‘trouser of the season’ accolade.

**EDIT** Thanks to Clairebear for pointing out my silly spelling mistake what with the word jodhpur not being in my common usage at all…

23 comments

1. buttonsandstars

2007-08-28 at 9:51 PM

Oooh, the olive Gap ones look fabulous. Michelle pulls them off so well! I am envious… I don’t think I could look as good in them. However, I haven’t tried, so all is not lost!
    Looks like it’s a trip to the gap for me then…!

2. Fabi

2007-08-28 at 9:52 PM

These can look great on some people (the way you pull off the preen trousers is amazing), but…I’m afraid my butt would look too saggy! And my hips would look larger!…Hmm, I’d have to see them ON.

3. editor

2007-08-28 at 10:15 PM

i always loved this comment about jodphurs: “the platypus of fashion” from here
    curious, why do you think balenciaga gets credit for these pants returning this season and not cavalli?

4. DJM

2007-08-28 at 10:50 PM

Oh yes, I’m currently waiting on those beige Warehouse ones arriving on my doorstep any day now! (I can never face actually going INTO Warehouse, even though it’s just round the corner from my work).
    I agree with Susie – these are not even half as scary as people think. I really think they will suit most people, and if people tried them they’d find that they actually look great in them.

5. normal female sized crotch

2007-08-29 at 1:16 AM

these seem to be coo-ing, ” we will make you look like you have a massive fat droopy crotch”

6. cc

2007-08-29 at 1:27 AM

i agree i have the same preen breeches in white and theyre very wearable!

7. diana

2007-08-29 at 1:58 AM

I made a pair on my own, a while ago, from sewing a pair of random, men’s pants. it’s very easy, you can actually do them yourself. Here is how I did it:
    They are not that hard to wear, really!
    I think one should just give them a try before making a strong opinion about them:)

8. Hannah

2007-08-29 at 2:48 AM

I have had a pair of 1930s ‘real’ riding jodhpurs for like 4 years now, but I have yet to really wear them. I don’t know if they work on me, since they are the real big-thigh deal, unlike these slightly more slim new ones. I really love those black ones, the silhouette is fab.

9. Eli

2007-08-29 at 6:01 AM

ah, I think they would sell okay in the US too though….

10. Funny Face

2007-08-29 at 8:38 AM

i think they are really cool and yes only few can pull it off.the thing is you have to find a modell/design that is well done…

11. DJM

2007-08-29 at 9:26 AM

I think many people might be scared off because they are mixing up jodhpurs with their scarier cousin, the Hammer Pant. The Hammer Pant is wandering into dodgy, extreme drop crotch territory.

12. clairebear

2007-08-29 at 10:17 AM

after your article i did a little research on this trouser shape – did you know that it’s spelt JODHPUR not JODPHUR? Weird huh?!

13. lluviaschick

2007-08-29 at 11:37 AM

i love jodhpurs and I started wearing them last year when I found a pair of jodphurs jeans. I was not looking for them, but I found one, in a shop I can remember the name, they were comfortable and cheap so I buy them… before knowing that Balenciaga was thinking in them for the fall collection. now all mass reatailers are selling their own versions. I¬¥m happy with my pair and recently I include two pair more (from a flea market) in my closet. I would definitly rock the trend but in general I dont think they are wearable for everyone. i¬¥m very thing so i look good on them but they are just for some type of bodies.

14. rollergirl

2007-08-29 at 4:00 PM

I bought the Gap ones after mucho hesitating. They WILL go baggy at the bum I’m sure but I love the colour and I might be able to wear dresses over them (but the jury’s out on that at the moment). By the way everyone there are two styles, one is more exaggerated at the thigh and shorter. (I got the less exaggerated version.)
    Hey Susie thanks for my blogger badge, I’m totally chuffed! Never had a blogger badge before so what an accolade to get my first one from super-blogger Susie B! Maybe my sitemeter reading will go up by 1000 again (yes I got 1000 extra hits last time Susie referenced my blog)?!?

15. iopine

2007-08-30 at 5:45 AM

I scoured the USA Gap site and alas, no jodhpurs. I haven’t seen them in the stores here either, and I’m in a test market.
    Cr@p.
    They’d be perfect for my cycling-augmented thighs.

16. Anonymous

2007-08-30 at 1:19 PM

ugh why can’t american gap have any good clothes??? I really want some jodhpurs but I won’t pay more than $60!

17. meg

2007-08-30 at 4:58 PM

yes how are jodhpurs new? Chloe did them like 3 or 4 seasons ago. You can still find some of their old ones around Yoox and even sometimes NAP. Honestly to me they’ve been on the backburner of fashion for awhile with the whole sort of ‘riding’ aesthetic that re-emerged how many years ago.

18. candid cool

2007-08-31 at 5:35 AM

It’s too awkward a fit for the American market. But they might put it online with the other Euro collection they are showing on the website.
    -h

19. Joyce

2008-02-25 at 11:37 PM

I realize there’s no point commenting on a fashion site a 1/2 year later, as any trend will long be over. But I wanted to point out the irony that the people who really have to wear jodhpurs have gone totally in the opposite direction — tight thighs & dark colours when we can get away with it. I mean, the girls who ride are generally thin, but you have to be way thin to pull off something that is designed to make your thighs and butt look bigger, esp in white! The horsey trend is definitely not over in Hong Kong, and seems to be growing. My guess is that everyone’s going to be wearing those flat black leather riding boots (much more flattering) from now till the Olympics, when the equestrian events will be held in HK. I mean, even Giordano’s selling them.

20. Joyce

2008-02-25 at 11:48 PM

21. Minnie

2010-08-31 at 1:03 PM

I’ve totally loved Jodhpurs from the start and the chloe collection a while ago was all jodhpurs and capes, i think people juust need to know what to wear them with to look fashionable and not totally look like they are going horseriding.

22. binicilik kursları

2012-10-17 at 9:13 AM

the online adaptation of material from the Harvard School of Public Health’s classes in epidemiology and biostatistics

23. Breeches

2012-10-26 at 5:08 AM

It is another symbol of Indian power dressing. Although the uses of Jodhpur breeches are many, it is the main riding apparel as well as the main item of Equestrian clothing, hunting clothing