The Turban got me

The Turban got me

I knew it would happen.  I knew the day would come.  I just know myself too well.  As I flicked through those Prada S/S07 pictures, initial jokes aside, I knew it was only a mtter of time that the turban would come and get me.  I’m not entirely sure whether it was the deft intelligence of Miuccia Prada or the lure of doing a ‘Little Edie’ from Grey Gardens (surely the most oft-used fashion reference of 2006-7!), but there it is, the wheels of fashion grabbed me by the shoulders and shook me whilst chanting the words ‘You shall wear a turban!’ over and over again.  I toyed with wearing turban hats of which Headcovers has a large selection and I’m also waiting for some sheeny shiny satin to arrive so I can go and do a DIY Prada jobbie but for ease of day wear, I grabbed my faithful American Apparel jersey scarves and did a quick wrap around the head.  Bad hair days and wind-mussed up barnet be gone!  Say hello to the first 2007 fash victim move (in case you don’t know, I’ve made many of those moves, none of which I regret!).

44 comments

1. morgan

2007-03-15 at 2:13 PM

awww haha i love it! very cute. and don’t worry, it’s only a matter of time before we all fall victim to it as well. ashley olsen had me mostly convinced with her black knotted headpiece; your pictures may have sealed the deal.
    love the blog!
    morgan

2. little magpie

2007-03-15 at 2:13 PM

turban looks very good but more to the point WHAT is that beaaauuutiful top/dress in the first picture? where from? when? how much? swooooooooooon! x

3. DJM

2007-03-15 at 2:14 PM

I think it looks less like a turban and more like a really thick headband. The Turbans at Prada pretty much obscured the hair entirely, whereas yours has your hair generously peeking out and whilst I think turbans look totally ridiculous on anyone other than those wearing them for religious reasons, yours looks totally cute because it’s a watered down version, therefore much more wearable. Although, the white one is vaguely bandage-like and could be mistaken for a head injury, but the grey is lovely on you.

4. Christian

2007-03-15 at 2:20 PM

De-fi-ni-tive-ly a victim :^p ; turbans by Prada are really great, but does you, girls (except Susie), are ready to wear it ?

5. hester

2007-03-15 at 2:24 PM

So cute! Especially the grey one…

6. susie_bubble

2007-03-15 at 2:29 PM

Unfortunately, I have too much hair to be tucked into anything let alone a turban!
    The dress is from Zara…. I shouldn’t have given their quality but I just loved it at first sight….
    And yes… woe me for being a victim but hey, makes for good fodder for you guys to poke fun at!

7. maya

2007-03-15 at 4:16 PM

wow that actually looks really cool… could you post some side and back pics too please?

8. Mrs Fashion

2007-03-15 at 4:26 PM

Cool and cute. A DIY jersey version is so much less victimy than donning a shiny satin Prada one – love it.

9. Anonymous

2007-03-15 at 5:35 PM

I never ever thought this could be pulled off outside of the runways but you look like you could have strolled out of a Dutch Old Master painting. Or something of the sort. Love it!

10. sammi

2007-03-15 at 6:38 PM

Cute! and Zara dress is gorgeous!

11. jennine

2007-03-15 at 6:40 PM

i love your twist on the turban. i wasn’t too sure about the prada turbans, i mean, you have to be really reallly abnormally beautiful not too look like an old hag wearing them.
    the way you have it is looser, and more playful, it’s reminiscent of 19th century turkish chic.

12. sherry

2007-03-15 at 7:52 PM

love it on you.

13. chelsea

2007-03-15 at 7:54 PM

u are brave it’ll prolly take me a couple of months b4 i even try one on den i’ll prolly buy one and neva wear it!

14. selina

2007-03-15 at 8:55 PM

ah its so, so fab on you!

15. Anonymous

2007-03-15 at 9:25 PM

it reminds me of that earth drapey japanese girl style, with all the loose jersey layers. do you know what I eman? I think it’s more like that than 1950 retiree turban style

16. Jenny

2007-03-15 at 9:58 PM

I love the turban and i looks really great on you. I made a post earlier about it and when i made som research i found a site with instructions on how to sew a turban. Honestly i like it better when you just wrap it. Looks more relaxed and wearable!
    Btw, i love the dress you’re wearing in the first picture. Where’s it from?

17. Chloë

2007-03-15 at 11:43 PM

Those look amazing, especially the first one, with that gorgeous dress. If you’re interested in trying out a more turbany one, the H&M line by Madonna has a premade one that looks pretty similar to Prada.

18. Alix

2007-03-16 at 1:03 AM

MORGAN; this dress is from ZARA
    I think the turban is lookink particulliary good with the fringe!

19. Arual

2007-03-16 at 1:43 AM

This is seriously something I’ve always wondered and I am and in no way trying to be mean but, how do people of Asian backgrounds have bad hair days? A lot of my Asian friends will complain that they’re having a bad hair day but to me it always looks the same, straight and shinny. Just wondering..
    As for the turban, sweeeet.

20. sakina

2007-03-16 at 1:46 AM

by far the best turbans i’ve ever seen. and i love both of your tops!

21. Cate

2007-03-16 at 1:57 AM

I truly don’t understand why this trend is getting so much hate. On the other hand I prefer to take my veggies plain, meaning I prefer less watered down versions. The headwrap looks a bit to hippie for me.

22. j

2007-03-16 at 2:01 AM

There is something about those Prada turbans that make them look like some kind of uniform. I think maybe it’s the way they match the rest of the clothes. The models look like airline attendants.

23. The Beauty Brains

2007-03-16 at 3:16 AM

Your turban pics cracked us up! It also reminded me that we had written a post on the 5 ways that asian hair is different from caucasian hair.
    We’re cosmetic scientists who write about beauty products. Check us out if you’re interested. Thanks and keep up the great blog!

24. Blue Floppy Hat

2007-03-16 at 6:10 AM

I must join the ranks swooning over your Zara dress, Susie…it’s gorgeous!
    I tried the scarf-turban thingy with an old tie-dye scarf that I had, and I think the way you’ve done it looks even cooler than the Prada runway, or at least it does to me- I have a weird-shaped face so the idea of letting bits of my hair stay on my face seriously appeals. The general turban-that’s-not-really a turban thing reminds me a bit of Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina, especially with the fringe.

25. Maria

2007-03-16 at 10:04 AM

Some people try but really don’t know how to wear a turban. You achieved a really good interpretation of it. It really looks great on you 😉
    Love your stylish blog*

26. Jen

2007-03-16 at 4:35 PM

you got to the turban before Sart did! (http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/).

27. hoyan

2007-03-16 at 5:38 PM

it looks great, and much more wearable than the satiny ones. i agree that it looks like ‘ earth drapey japanese girl style’.

28. stylophile

2007-03-16 at 8:34 PM

i tried the demi-turban as well, with a small matte silk scarf, tucking in the edges. its very small. like an oversized headband with volume. i also want to try demi-turban + brooch, a la ralph lauren. things kinda make their way back into the fashion vocabulary after a hibernation and then have staying power. i hope the turban is one of them. i remember when it was hard to find wedges in stores, and now look…its been years and that trend has yet to fade. keep on rocking the turban. you look great in it.

29. Stevie

2007-03-17 at 1:07 PM

Yes, it looks great!
    There are two types of fashion victim, those who have the guts to take a risk, and who usually go for it before the high street shops are mass producing to cater for the fashion victim type 2.
    Uhhh…Yes.
    yes yes that is all
    S xx
    PS, God. I need to sleep.

30. Mimi

2007-03-18 at 2:19 AM

Susie, is your hair bunned, pony-tailed, or just hanging down?

31. Anonymous

2007-03-18 at 2:20 AM

I love the 2nd dress you’re wearing too! Silver, long-sleeved, with an elastic at the waist! Is it vintage? Where….???

32. Blue Floppy Hat

2007-03-18 at 6:19 AM

I saw the picture of Ashley Olsen in her headpiece…kind of bleh, it looked. Susie, you do a much better job of wearing things than either of those two little monkey-face lookalikes.

33. susie_bubble

2007-03-18 at 9:33 PM

Wow…a lot of turban-loving!
    Answers, answers, answers…
    Mimi: I’m wearing my hair pinned up in a chignon in the first one and in the second one, I swept my hair to the side in a low ponytail so that the hair is loose to one side coming out of the turban.
    The dress in the 2nd pic is vintage – have no idea where I got it though…. it’s pretty old!
    I haven’t seen these infamous Olsen turban pics so I can’t really comment!

34. Alison

2007-03-20 at 4:25 AM

I don’t think I’d ever be able to pull off a turban( not for lack of trying tho) but it looks really good on you!

35. aly

2007-03-20 at 6:21 AM

! my best friend has been doing this the past few days with her AA scarves. i mentioned the prada turbans and she had no idea what i was talking about. its in the air!

36. anneliseha

2009-10-02 at 9:33 AM

others thus sectors address service

37. HALLEY

2010-01-27 at 1:34 AM

I HATE THIS

38. HALLEY

2010-01-27 at 1:35 AM

THIS IS STUPID

39. Kai

2010-03-27 at 7:06 PM

oooohhhh please do a tutorial how u do it? 🙂