I’m sure you can guess from my photos that I don’t cut my hair often.  It grows fast, tangles into a black sheath of messiness and generally I try not to poke it too much lest it does something frightening.  So on the rare occasion that I haul my black sheath into the hairdressers, I’m determined to make it something a little bit special.  You name those London salons, I’ve tried em’.  I’m not a loyal customer but rather like trying out a new restaurant every week, I’ve become a one-time connoisseur of salons.  I like good vibes and special touches.  So I was uber pleased to stumble into Pimps and Pinups based in, where else but the increasingly bustling Spitalfields.  No clinical white harsh bright lighting.  No plasmas playing wank music on MTV Dance.  It’s thankfully un-corporate, and unpretentious about the place with its indie soundtrack, cushty distressed leather couch and a nice beverage to welcome you in – a glass of wine/beer if you need serious unwinding or the usual non-alcoholic stuff.  Opened by Australian cousins Simon and John Charrison, they have taken the best bits of their hairdressing experience to create what I think was a laid back, slightly quirky yet still professional salon.  The Hollywood-style lit up mirrors and the vintage barber chairs makes it a sort of contemporary retro interior.  My black mass of hair got taken care of wonderfully by a lovely guy called Jordan who, thank god, did not fall into the following categories of Product Pushers (the ones that make you come out of the salon laden with products you don’t actuallly know how to use), Chatty Natters (the ones that chat relentlessly without paying too much attention to the hair they’re cutting) and Silent Artists (the ones who completely ignore you and lull you into thinking they’re concentrating really hard on your hair until you look up to find a tri-pronged mohawk).  The black mass on my hair is now sleek, sharp and totally acceptable in polite company.

I may have to stop my hairdress connoisseur-ing now as I’ve found my bi-annual hairdressing appointment.

1. silje says:

That place looks amazing. I want one of those tills in my bedroom 😀
    You should post some pics of your new haircut!

2. top_spinn says:

yes, post a pic please!

It’s nothing dramatic! Just the wild mane sharpened up a bit – very sleek though! Not worth putting a up an ugly mugshot!

4. Lauren says:

I go to Pimps and Pinups! In fact I have an appointment there tomorrow.
    I love it because they are really friendly, the salon set up is really unusual and its not ridiculously priced. A very rare combination to find in London!
    Plus you feel so glamorous in those massive chairs and movie star mirrors!
    x

5. jennine says:

that place looks so cool. and i just love the spitalfields area… it makes me miss london. nice to know you’ve found your hair salon. i’m still a hair-slut sewing my wild oats. ; )

6. DJM says:

I have to stop myself getting my hair cut, as I love it but always get carried away and end up with weird and wacky styles, then spend months regretting it. I’m a self confessed salon slut – my loyalties lie nowhere. But since I’ve been growing my hair long I get my friend to cut a few inches off the back every few months, and I take care of my own fringe.

7. me says:

I want to see this fablous new hair of your.. 😉
    I haven’t cut mine in aaaaaages i’m actually scared to do so as I’m not sure most hairdressers actually ‘get’ what I want! I want it not to look like it’s been cut!
    And what are better private salons or Toni&guy?

8. Aja says:

It’s sad how much I miss London. I looked through the window in the photo and I could tell exactly which side of Spitalfields this place is located on. (Sigh).

9. 6654654 says:

PLEASE CAN I SEE UR HAIR? IT SOUNDS TOO FABOLOUS!

10. Anonymous says:

toni and guy sux

11. floydculpin says:

Hi,
    I am only looking for
    information,that is most popular about anything,but only legal and not adult.
    Thanks.

12. I really like all this blog!!!! Its creater was so wonderful

13. thanks for sharing about it.

14. I’ve being researching about Beauty & Hair and reading your blog, I found your post very helpful 🙂 . I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading.