Trends for fall/winter 2007-8 still aren’t 100% clear but I’ve picked up on something that I didn’t quite expect to see – thats right folks, it’s folk!  It’s not quite widespread on the catwalk but it has emerged and I have varying opinions on the various guises of folk.

At Mina Perhonen, it was rural Russian folk – lots of layers, lots of granny-ish type garments.  Perhaps when worn all together it may be a little too granny-ish but individually, me likey a lot.

People have been outraged/shocked at Nicholas Ghesquiere’s collection for Balenciaga.  I’m not exactly enamoured with this but at least it’s somewhat fresh.  It’s sort of ghetto, 90’s new-age folk.  I’m thinking I won’t be impressed when I see that woven stripy coat priced at god knows how many 1000’s of euros when you can get the same thing at joss-stick selling Camden stalls for ¬£10.

Steve J and Yoni P, whose Topshop collection I blogged about last week, went for full blown minority tribe influenced folk – flickers of Mongolian, Tibetan, Native American.  Probably the folkiest of the three and for me, best toned down a bit to avoid looking like I’m in tribal costume.

1. Emily says:

Don’t forget about the clogs at Viktor & Rolf!!

2. this is really confusing. didn’t we just do this? maybe not as grunged up though? i am so confused by the circles fashion goes in these days.

3. Trousseau says:

Don’t see the need for outrage at the Balenciaga showing. Seems a bit strong a word! I liked this collection, especially the hippie/african inspired print dresses, and endless prep school blazers gone global.

4. Jennifer says:

Hey Susie! I read your blog quite frequently and know you’re from Hong Kong/you just visited it recently. I’ll be there for a week in March, so I was wondering if there are any shopping centers/stores you recommend I check out. I like trendy & vintage clothes. I’d really appreciate any advice you can offer me. Thank you!!!

5. Stevie says:

I’m glad its not that boring “Little House on the Prarie” folk which seems to have has far too many outings. Though luckily I haven’t seen it as much over the last couple of years.
    I just have horrible memories of a long folky style dress I bought at the end of my Tammy days about 7 years ago.
    But I like the whole russian vibe. I like the idea of mixing chunky knits, leopard print, faux fur et al.
    S xx

6. hoyan says:

I’m always happy for a bit of the folk trend to come around again because it’s so cheerful. The Viktor & Rolf especially has caught my eye.
    Anyway, thanks for pointing these out Susie- I think they’re great because the folk influences aren’t too literal or stuffy. and ‘ghetto, 90’s new-age folk’ is, I think, going to be the real trend underlying next season’s looks. besides being a rather amusing phrase.

7. ambika says:

I like seeing this trend resurface in a revamped way. After the onslaught of the various fashion weeks, I think I got a little numb to everything–it all started to look the same. These pics are certainly a nice change.

8. emer says:

i love the balenciaga collection. it is interesting but it is also quite wearable i love mixing things up but i would still wear most of the outfits as shown (if i could afford them!)