In the UK, there’s always a ‘hit’ high street dress every season.  It’s usually a catwalk knock off that gets pimped out by all the glossies and weeklies (Now, Heat, Grazia etc) so much so that immedisately, it’s picked up by the eBay evilies and they then buy out all the dresses and promptly put them on eBay for twice the price making people believe they are buying the real thing.

Well this season, it’s Marks & Spencer who have got the high street ‘IT’ dress with a gold sequinned number that is a combination of the YSL dress and the Burberry Prorsum dress that Sienna Miller wore to the Costume Insititute Gala in New York.  Now you guys had a pretty mixed reaction towards the gold but it’s no use – I’m still feeling very magpie-ish.  I just love the idea of wearing this with something completely non-flashy like chunky wool or masculine looking grey jersey.

If you too are having a magpie moment, then you can pre-order this dress from the Marks & Spencer website for £110.  The dress arrives in November – get there before the eBay devilspawn do.  Note, M&S sizing is generous!

1. twisterella says:

I totally agree with your idea of combining metallics with simple, everyday-like, grayish-neutral pieces. It’s kind of the same thing as the pvc/latex look that you rocked earlier. It’s about the contrasts in the “heritage” of the pieces, and of course in the texture, how they feel to touch, how they reflect light…

2. Jess says:

You can get one like that from Primark too.

3. Matthew says:

Brilliant — Love the “magpie moment.” I admire the combinations you come up with, Burble.

4. beth says:

I love dressing down shimmery things…. I have a dolman sleeve lurex jersey dress to wear with a black turtleneck underneath and a gray cardigan. It is surprisingly versatile because I also wear it out on its own with black wedges for bar-hopping.

5. Joelle says:

I think this dress is fantastic-and i also think it funny Sienna Miller was criticised at the time she wore this and now its all changed. m&s not the only ones doing copy-id swear ive seen it somewhere else-maybe primark or new look? i cant quite remember-but wishing id bought it now. love to dress it down and stand out. if you buy it-do show us your ideas!

6. agent86 says:

it’s funny, in the US, sienna was totally ragged on for that dress in every style section and now it’s on a runway and “cool”. i love girls that wear things just because they like them….but i have to say, gold is a little bit much for me….but silver would be gorgeous!

7. Sam says:

Actually I don’t mind all the gold glitz that’s going on. It’s very Rocaill (my history prof told me ‘Rococo’ is not correct) and the Mark and Spencers dress is delicious.

8. I think the glow sequence worked for this dress. But of course, you wouldn’t wear it during day time.