Why I'm a 'skirt' person

Why I'm a 'skirt' person

If I had to save one thing from my wardrobe in a fire, I’d have to strap a huge plastic box on my back with gaffer tape and brave through the flames because I absolutely love my collection of skirts.  As I was folding and arranging them the other day (and you can see I go through this box often as it’s already messed up!) I thought it’s only right that I write an ode here to my darling skirts, justifying why they are dear to me.

1) For me, a skirt can be bought in a hurry.  There’s no need to try anything on.  All I do is spread two handspans across a waistband and I already know it will fit.

2) It’s much easier to buy crazy skirts than crazy dresses.  At least there’s always the chance to balance out the craziness with some normality on top.

3) Playing with lengths is simple.  Hiking up, pulling down, even pulling over the bust are all motions at your disposal.  A skirt is a tube that is not static.

4) The colours, the patterns, the materials.  The same array and range is impossible to extend to trousers.

5) Skirts can come under different guises and shapes.  Egg, tulip, pencil, puffball, A-line and many more are there for the taking.

6) They are the basis for layering whether with each other, with trousers, with shorts.

7) Hoisery can be shown off to maximum effect with a skirt.  Having socks peeping out from trousers is all very well but then the full impact of a seamed stocking or bright yellow tights are lost.

8) The same thing applies to shoes and boots.

9) I feel freer in a skirt than in a pair of trousers.  Perhaps it’s reverse feminism – who knows!

10) Folding up jeans and pinstripe trousers just isn’t as fun as sorting out my skirts into patternations of floral, stripy, geometric and miscellaneous.

20 comments

1. SwanDiamondRose

2006-08-22 at 11:31 PM

you forgot- they are easy to make!

2. susie_bubble

2006-08-22 at 11:40 PM

^Good point! Silly me….

3. Anonymous

2006-08-22 at 11:58 PM

i adorreee your site!

4. Sarah

2006-08-23 at 12:11 AM

Yay! I totally agree! I never look quite *right* in pants, so I’m a total skirt girl!

5. Cle

2006-08-23 at 12:37 AM

Im a skirt person too!! <3 Love your style btw! 😉

6. U

2006-08-23 at 12:47 AM

Skirts are the best! I kind of felt bad for having a lot (7 or so) and then I scrolled down and saw your collection…I now realize I am way behind and must take immediate action to add to my stable of skirts.

7. susan

2006-08-23 at 1:39 AM

If you store all your skirts like that, when you need to wear them, aren’t they all wrinkled up? If not, please let me know because I really need to figure out how to save space as my clothes are overflowing out of my closet and I refuse to get rid of anything. My clothes are taking over my tiny room. Please share tips!

8. tiny dancer

2006-08-23 at 2:08 AM

hm..i read smewhere that if you roll your clothes and store them you save space, and they look untouched! and unwrinkled! havent tried it though..

9. Linda

2006-08-23 at 3:23 AM

i used to be a jeans person, but it’s hard to find the right jeans. and now, im turning a skirts person, i totally love them!

10. Sasha

2006-08-23 at 8:57 AM

I agree with you on feeling free in a skirt. Something about not having your legs encased in material is quite liberating.

11. DJM

2006-08-23 at 9:07 AM

I’m a dedicated jeans kinda gal. I have tried skirts – I have plenty, but they sit there in my wardrobe in all their girly splendour mocking me for not being girly enough to wear them. i wear pretty dresses, but always over jeans. I’m a bit of a tomboy and I think that’s where the problem lies for me – I just feel too nice in skirts but I am going to attempt them this winter for sure and wearing dresses minus jeans, because as Linda pointed out, it’s hard to find the right jeans.

12. lauren-w

2006-08-23 at 9:17 AM

Wow nice range! I’m a skirts person too for all of your stated reasons, just need to buy more! I don’t know how you manage to get dressed in the morning with so much choice at your disposal! Just out of interest how long have you been stocking up on these? How often do you buy new things?

13. Lucy

2006-08-23 at 8:51 PM

I completely agree. Especially about feeling freer in a skirt! and skirts are such chameleons! (well, it was the best description i could think of!) with boots, heels, pumps, leggings, tights, whatever. You can’t do that with trousers.

14. Gina

2006-08-23 at 9:17 PM

Wow! You have quite a collection…lovely to look at with all of the different colors and patterns.

15. stylefinder

2006-08-23 at 10:45 PM

wow – that’s a lot of skirts! I don’t have even a quarter of that amount, and I get teased for having so many skirts…
    Seeing your variety of patterns and prints is quite inspiring…I always tend to gravitate towards the solid colors or neutrals…time to shake things up a bit!

16. wafa

2006-08-23 at 11:51 PM

same problem.. so many skirts so little spaces, what is away to see all your skirts without hanging them on hangers.. love your style btw.. amazing!

17. julia

2006-08-24 at 12:01 AM

hehehe i have lots of skirts as well! though not that many!
    another positive to the skirt is that they’re more affordable. for eg. my $200 new jeans LOOK way better than $30 ones, so it was worth it to get the better quality because they need to fit really well. however, skirts are more flexible in how they fit, and my $10 skirt looks just as good as my $200 skirt.
    they’re also easier to share! jeans are difficult to swap, but skirts aren’t for some reason….!

18. susie_bubble

2006-08-24 at 12:24 AM

The scary thing is….there’s actually two more layers of skirts underneath the ones you see in the pics……oh dear god!

19. Anonymous

2006-08-24 at 2:42 AM

Ohmigosh!!! I have just as many skirts as you. lol.

20. cruststation

2006-08-24 at 5:20 AM

What an amazing collection, how do you find anything :)You are right about the crazy skirt and plain top combo.