Tough as Old Boots

Tough as Old Boots

Last winter it was all about the Victoriana lace-up boots.  This year, lace-up boots get a lot tougher and a bit rough and tumble.  I’m convinced boots are made for stomping this year, not walking.  Yet, even though they’re hard-wearing and ‘gritty’, I still want to set a contrast by pairing them with a silk crepe dress or a trailing tulle skirt.  It’s like the girly girl who thinks she’s tougher because she put on a pair of combat boots but then gives the game away by wearing them with a pretty floral dress.

Dei Mille Dark Brown Combat Boots £59, Vintage Tan Knee High Campus Boots, Fluxa Midcalf Black Boots £159, Miss L-Fire Saloon Lace-Up Antique Tan Boots £160Ash Farah Black Lace-Up Boots £205, Faith Saon Stone Boots £65, Marc by Marc Jacobs Lace-Up Rubber Soled Boots £355, Carvela Wham Biker Boots £99

7 comments

1. Casey

2006-08-30 at 11:45 PM

These are all such gorgeous and inspiring picks! I’m really hoping to score a pair of boots this winter (that one “must have” that I have yet to bite the bullet and just spend the money on), and I’d really like a pair of the Victorian-tough style. I can’t see me getting tired of this look–even if it goes out of style next winter! 🙂

2. emily

2006-08-31 at 12:58 AM

this is creepy because i just bought those marc jacobs boots and today ordered some cheap flat knee high lace-up’s off zappos.com. im planning so many fall outfits already. thick ribbed tights and those boots. yay.

3. agent86

2006-08-31 at 1:58 AM

the psychology of the tough/femme boot is so interesting to me…..
    i’ve been very into boots since i was 10 (when i would watch the mary tyler moore show and she would wear gorgeous red leather boots) and find them very femme and sexy but at the same time tough and commanding. you look like you don’t need or want a man when you wear some boots, but they can’t keep their eyes off you….:)
    chloe has some beautiful leather, strappy, buckle boots this season. tough and girly

4. nk

2006-08-31 at 2:14 AM

I really love little deep-v ankle booties actually. Like Renaissance jester shoes or something… I was never a big boot wearer but this fall I’m strangely attracted to the tougher boots annnnddd the ankle booties. Anthropologie has a nice selection—and sometimes affordable!

5. Joanne

2006-08-31 at 2:29 AM

When I was younger I used to wear combat boots with a floaty floral black dress, thick, ribbed (!) black tights and a giant pendant… I wore the combat boots until the heels were coming off (and then I think my mom threw them away because, sadly, I can’t find them). Thus, I’m glad this style is coming back. (I especially love the tan ones in that picture.)

6. Adrian

2006-09-01 at 12:29 AM

I told my friend to buy the Victorian, witch boots last year…Those will definitely still be superwick for this fall. Paired with black….ahhh! my heart beats faster….

7. cruststation

2006-09-01 at 5:45 AM

I absolutely love the Marc by Marc Jacobs lace-ups.