They tell a Stori

They tell a Stori

The thing I don’t like about so called ‘it’ handbags and it may sound a little trite, is that for me they don’t have any ‘soul’ after they’ve been papped on celebs so many times and name dropped over and over again.  What started off as a perfectly decent bag becomes faked in China, hot one month, out the next and just plain ubiquitous.

So I like my bags with a bit more character, with a ‘stori’ to tell.  Korean designer Myounghee Zo has translated a West/East quirky balance to her label Stori.  There are unexpected combinations of colours, materials, dual funcionalities, shapes that aren’t confined to normal handbag forms.  Above all, they are beautifully crafted.  There is also a wide enough range of details to satisfy everybody’s tastes; lacquer handles, quilted silk, mother of pearl, abalone shell, compact mirrors, built in purses etc.

I’m anticipating a Stori of a purchase (ok…I’m really taking the pun too far there) when I go to the sample sale which is going to be held at their Shoreditch store from Friday 25th August until 27th August (11am-7pm).  I’m looking forward to a tactile evening of running my hands over the bags and being fascinated by the names Zo has given them (Tea Dim Sum, Hidden Courgette, Yoghurt Shopper).

A/W06/07

S/S06

8 comments

1. lila

2006-08-22 at 10:50 PM

ooh.another fellow korean..haha.lovelove the bags. so different and i love the names. yoghurt shopper ..yum

2. SwanDiamondRose

2006-08-22 at 11:30 PM

those are great. they are close to what i aspire to do. personal, unique, very tactile, craftish, hautish. those are lovely. i like the Lucky clutch bag. get that one! 🙂

3. tiny dancer

2006-08-23 at 2:06 AM

indeed, the bags are reaaly unique, they have a personality of their own!:) i am just checking at the weir wesite, hope they do worldwide shippings and have good prices and i may as well buy stg:)

4. Claire

2006-08-23 at 2:16 AM

I love it!

5. nicky

2006-08-23 at 12:45 PM

Lovely bags! I’ve seen the courgette one IRL and it’s great

6. Bon-Bons in the Bath

2006-08-23 at 10:16 PM

I love that blue one at the bottom right with the big black plastic hook thingy. Thanks for alerting us to this great designer! I’m going to go check out her website now… 🙂

7. K

2006-08-24 at 11:50 AM

WOW!! These are stunning!! I esp love the 2nd bag- brown and pleated!! I wonder whether I can get these in HK~~

8. agent86

2006-08-26 at 4:04 AM

the way I look at the whole “it” bag thing is if i love a bag, it doesn’t matter to me whether or not some crap celeb is toting it around because they won’t be carrying it in 2 months….where as when i decide to purchase an “it” bag, i think of it as a lifetime investment that i will carry until i’m 80…let alone just being in love with a design and having that wonderful thrill of owning a designer piece when your wardrobe is made up of cheapy goodies…
    🙂