The Mouret Effect

The Mouret Effect

Today, I wore my Roland Mouret brown checked dress for the very first time.  It seemed appropriate for enough for work but when paired with some ankle booties, made a kind of edgy outfit for going out at night.  When you look at the dress, you do immediately get a ‘frumpy secretary’ feel because of the check and the high neck but lo and behold, the subtleties of Mouret’s cutting and fit said otherwise.  I got wolf whistled by a bunch of builders on the way to work, got asked for my number by some random guy on the bus (let me assure you know, that is a FIRST for me!) and at work, my male colleagues couldn’t compliment me enough.  Usually, it’s sniggers and jibes about whatever I’m wearing but apparently the dress with it’s snug fit, little slit at the back and feminine shape pushed all the right buttons.

I can’t say I was all that comfortable with it.  I love the dress for sure but I didn’t really like what came with the dress.  My encounter today, reminded me of an article Fash’Ho kindly forwarded to me from the Guardian about Lucinda Chambers, British Vogue stylist and Sophia Neophitou, editor of Russian Vogue swapping wardrobes for a day.  The former is a Marni girl, all loose, patterned clothing and stylish accessorising, the latter is a Mouret woman with a penchant for the hourglass sillhouette.  Me thinks I’m more of a Lucinda than a Sophia.  What she said about wearing Roland Mouret for a day: "These clothes are very sexy and I don’t dress to express my sexuality -quite the opposite, some could say. I don’t see myself as overtly sexual and I don’t want people to think I’m trying to be something I’m not."  Frankly, I feel the same way.  Still, to feel appreciated by the opposite sex once in a blue moon is not such a bad thing.  I’m guessing the dress will come out very infrequently then!

9 comments

1. Sandy

2006-05-23 at 3:44 AM

perhaps the attention is not what you’re used to but i say the compliments you got would make my day! go susie!

2. Andrea

2006-05-23 at 4:51 AM

Did you wear a jacket over it? If you did then it just proves the overall power of the dress even when concealed. 🙂

3. susie_bubble

2006-05-23 at 1:46 PM

Hehe, thanks Sandy… I just don’t see myself in that way…. not saying it’s not flattering of course when compliments like that do come my way!
    I was wearing a very prim Topshop black cardigan. Which just makes it even more odd. I now understand why so many women went for that Mouret Galaxy dress… really does have va va voom.

4. Rebecca

2006-05-23 at 10:22 PM

So, I’m wondering what that says about me because I would definitely wear that dress. Which cracks me up because when I was little I had a brown check dress and I was so sure that my mom thought my sister was more special because she bought her the blue one.

5. le_robo_electro

2006-05-24 at 3:16 AM

I adore your blog.

6. fash ho'

2006-05-24 at 9:27 PM

well, i think it goes back to the whole sexy/cute thing in a way. there’s no two ways about it, you and the dress looked v. saucy and hence the male response.
    its very basic but kind of powerful at the same time. i think that was the power of the galaxy too – uncomplicated sauciness.

7. eurobrat

2006-05-25 at 1:12 PM

Never underestimate the appeal of the sexy secretary look! I also think that it is unusual for women to wear well tailored pieces (particularly dresses), and so you would have really stood out as a knockout on the street [more than usual I mean :)]
    I’m definitely more of a Sophia. Love your outfit- I would kill for a Roland Mouret dress! KILL I tell you!

8. susie_bubble

2006-05-25 at 2:02 PM

I never thought I’d own Mouret too but his last sample sale at his studio yielded some good things! I think if I had more of a curvy body I’d feel more comfortable with the look. I guess it really is as simple as putting on an old fashoned dress to grab a guy’s attention.
    Rebecca: I fought with my sister over colours too – she always had pink and I was the one in green.

9. Adi

2006-11-20 at 11:55 PM

Gosh when I heard that Roland Mouret was stepping down from his line. I began to hoard all the pieces I could get my hands on. There is something very strong about the vintage secretary look. His clothes had that vintage look but yet they are so modern. I also love Martin Grant since he does tailored sexy pieces that would look good on an American socialite like Lee Radziwill as well as a cool London girl. When clothes can be so flexiable like that it shows the point of good design. Grant is even doing a line for Barney’s.